Join Early Retirement Today

Airbnb Wants a Picture of a Government Issued ID?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am looking at Airbnb (as I have read on the ER boards that they may offer more security for the renter than VRBO), for a 3 month rental, for next winter.

They say they want me to take a picture or a government ID, it could be either

My driver's license,
My passport,
Or some other form of Government ID, and they want me to upload it to them.

This scares the heck out me.

Is this what everyone who uses Airbnb is required to do?

Why should I not be worried about this?

thanks
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have never been asked to do that, and if we were asked we wouldn't comply.

(Is this your first time with airbnb...i.e. have you previously built up a 'reputation' with them? If not, perhaps an initial request for a 3 month rental rings alarms.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #3

Maybe for security reasons?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #4

Looking at google it appears this is an option that some property owners can put in their settings. Here's the link to your answer: LMGTFY
Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Maybe for security reasons?
Indeed, for THEIR security, but I am finding it hard to believe that people will send out such information.

In view of the constant stories of "secure" banks of information being hacked, who would send out a photo of their government ID? Doesn't that sound like a recipe for identity theft?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Looking at google it appears this is an option that some property owners can put in their settings. Here's the link to your answer: LMGTFY
Thanks for the link. It seems my incredulity is not isolated. No way I'm doing that.

If that is what it takes for this business model to function, than I think that business model is doomed to fizzle out and die.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've had only one experience with Airbnb, a very good one in Iceland last August, and did not have to do that. I MIGHT be OK with sending a version with numbers blacked out but if they want numbers that would be a deal-breaker for me.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #8

We booked a 5 day stay near Venice with an Airbnb "Super?" landlord and was asked for this info at time of reservation. I figure he will be getting a copy of my passport at arrival like every other hotel so why fight it.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I am looking at Airbnb (as I have read on the ER boards that they may offer more security for the renter than VRBO), for a 3 month rental, for next winter.

They say they want me to take a picture or a government ID, it could be either

My driver's license,
My passport,
Or some other form of Government ID, and they want me to upload it to them.

This scares the heck out me.

Is this what everyone who uses Airbnb is required to do?

Why should I not be worried about this?

thanks
I'm not really sure what you concern is with this.....how many times while traveling do you need to show ID.. a lot. I paid for 2 rooms in a Hilton before new years and put my daughters name on the second room..we BOTH had to show picture ID..If I had a property that someone wanted to stay in for 3 months it behooves me to know the name and address the person is giving me is legit. What other way it there to do it?Try renting a regular house or apartment without a legit ID..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I rented a tool at Home Depot the other day and they scanned my drivers license. This is the same Home Depot that had the large data breach a few years ago.

I was at a new dentist the other day and gave them my name, DOB, SS #, address, drivers license number and then all of my wife’s info since she is the primary insured.

I have given copies of my passport many times to hotels while traveling abroad.

I also use Airbnb recently and had to send a scanned photo of my license.

I setup a Paypal account for our local high school booster club. So paypal has all of my info now including a copy of my drivers license.

When I upload a picture of myself to facebook their facial recognition technology knows its me.

The list goes on and on......
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the link. It seems my incredulity is not isolated. No way I'm doing that.

If that is what it takes for this business model to function, than I think that business model is doomed to fizzle out and die.
Incredulity...? seriously, you want to doom AirB'nB because the owner wants to know who he is renting too? How does he know you aren't going to start a meth lab in his apartment..you could be anybody, someone could have stole your identity to try and rent his apartment.

In the spirit of mutual destruction why don't you tell the owner it's a long rental for a lot of money how about if you send me yours and I'll send you mine.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Indeed, for THEIR security, but I am finding it hard to believe that people will send out such information.

In view of the constant stories of "secure" banks of information being hacked, who would send out a photo of their government ID? Doesn't that sound like a recipe for identity theft?
I sent mine, it goes to AirBnb and not the owner if I recall correctly. And AirBnb can tell the owner that the stranger who is going to rent their place has provided gov't ID.

How else do they know you are not a scammer, after all you don't pay until after you show up.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #13

They demanded ID when I signed up, as well as social media info (no accounts)

Then I was completely ignored by the owner of the property I wanted to rent.
Not even a "sorry, we don't rent to new accounts."

At the time there was no way to complain to AirBnb about such conduct.

So, IMHO, $#% AirBnb...sorry I was stupid enough to provide them my ID.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We have only used it twice, each time for 3 days last summer.
Compared to hotels, which I looked at first, we saved over $500 in total. And while strange/weird to be in a strangers home like a hotel, it worked out great!
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
How else do they know you are not a scammer, after all you don't pay until after you show up.

Both times I used Airbnb it was charged to my cc at the time of reservation. When I cancelled the first one months in advance after DH was diagnosed with leukemia they even kept something around $150 of what I'd paid.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We've used airbnb a number of times.....sometimes for 2-3 weeks, sometimes less...never had a problem situation.

Before booking we read the reviews.....then, if we're able to, (WiFi access), we'll always write a review after we've vacated. The landlord writes a review of the tenant, which I presume other landlords can appraise......thus, if one has accumulated sufficient positive reviews from other landlords (again, I presume), one is probably more likely to be approved without further question.

Seems to me it'd just be (a variation of) a standard business practice.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
I rented a tool at Home Depot the other day and they scanned my drivers license. This is the same Home Depot that had the large data breach a few years ago. ....
The list goes on and on......
+1

I never get this type of paranoia. Ever rented a rental car before ? Did they take your license information down ? You somehow trust Hertz more than Airbnb ?

We've rented about 10 times from Airbnb. The first 5 times... nothing. The sixth time, they asked for a copy of my drivers license. It is to combat fraud.

5 minutes later, done and dusted.

Move on.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
as well as social media info
"Social media accounts"? You mean Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. account IDs?

That's really interesting. The more I think about it, I think that's really good info to ask for. It is amazing what people will post on social media. You can tell a lot about someone by seeing what they post. "Hey, check me out trashing this hotel room while on Spring Break in Daytona!!"

Of course, one could say they don't have any social media accounts. I might buy that for someone in their 60s, but if a Millenial told me they didn't have any social media accounts, I'd be *a bit* skeptical.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #19

I'm in my forties and don't have a Bookface or Snapgram account...

Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I'm in my forties and don't have a Bookface or Snapgram account...

Late 50s. No Facebook, no Instagram, no Pinterest, no Snapchat. I have a twitter account, but use it to follow people who post interesting articles and rarely post anything.

From a social media perspective, I'm the invisible man.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote