Airplane Etiquette Rules for a Happy Flight

Better than this:
aisleseat.png

This look side to side?
Not sure that outfit allowed on planes. I've seen moms with babies wearing rubber flip flops on overseas flights. That grosses me out. I always wear shoes that cover my entire foot with socks.

Not sure that outfit allowed on planes. I've seen moms with babies wearing rubber flip flops on overseas flights. That grosses me out. I always wear shoes that cover my entire foot with socks.

sigh, that's an "after" golf outfit....

I like it. It strikes me the same way an elaborate tattoo does...I'd keep stealing glances b/c it's rude to stare.

sigh, that's an "after" golf outfit....

I was met at my seat by a flight attended while boarding a flight and asked if I would mind moving across the aisle to another middle seat. There was an overweight couple who had booked the aisle and window seat, I assume to hopefully have extra room.

The flight attendant then asks a large man in a middle seat between two small women to move to my assigned seat and he did! Those three large passengers were literally jammed in that row of seats.

Some of the overheated rhetoric on this thread reminds me of the poor bastard that was drug off a UA flight by the cops. His crime? He refused to give up his paid seat (and disembark the plane) to a flier with FF status.

He was bruised up pretty good for his non-violent refusal. I hope today that he's a multi-millionaire from suing both UA (who demanded that he un-ass his seat, then invoked the local police after his non-compliance with aircrew instructions) and the local law that decided he must go.

But Shooter and Hitter, take it outside. And beat each other to death with that damned armrest! :confused:

Except...it's not "his" seat and he refused to leave.

Last edited:
I encroach into the seat beside me, enough that I don't fly if I have to sit in the middle. I try and sit on the aisle so I can get a leg out into the aisle. I also try to sit with a grandchild so I can use some of their seat! I would not want to fly sitting next me, but I try to be as unimpactful as possible.

Threads like this make me glad that I stopped flying economy

No such armrest issues and my neighbors are nicer

Money well spent

Last edited:
I wondered why the article never mentioned a very obvious point of etiquette that you made: it is really rude to grab someone else's seat as you are exiting the row, and pitch them around. If you do it, you really should apologize.

If they have their seat reclined, I hip-check on purpose and with a little bit extra. The spaces are too tight anymore to put seats back. I really wish the airlines would make all seats fixed upright.

seems like a lot of selfish people are flying these days. this is a major reason why we don't fly. the few times i had to fly when my mom was very, very sick i went first class. that eliminated 99% of the hassle.

My wife and I try and book two aisle seats across from each other so we both get an aisle yet sit next to each other. My rule is I sit down. If the person next to me takes the armrest, I let them have it. If they don't, its mine. So sort of first come, first serve.

Us too.

seems like a lot of selfish people are flying these days. this is a major reason why we don't fly. the few times i had to fly when my mom was very, very sick i went first class. that eliminated 99% of the hassle.

I agree. I can't believe the responses on this thread. Usually the people on this Forum seem to be nice, considerate people. Not so much on this thread. I am embarrassed by some of the responses. I think that we should be especially courteous to our fellow travelers on airplanes. The planes are crowded, the seats are too small, many people are stressed. Fortunate folks like us on this Forum should go the extra mile to be helpful to others.

I was on a flight once, sitting in the extra wide exit aisle on an Airbus. A late passenger came on, angrily shoved his bag and jacket in the overhead and threw himself into the seat next to me. As he did so, he shoved both arms onto the arm rests, and stated "I paid for this seat, so I'm going to use it!" The plane at this time had no AC, and it was at least 95 degrees and Dallas humidity on the plane. If the guy had been polite about it, I would have happily given way to him and let him have the arm rest, but instead, I shrugged and said, "Good. I paid for mine too." And spent the next three hours making sure that my sweaty arm was pressed up against his.

I've had acquaintances boast about their online certification of "support dogs" that were mere pets. I love my dog, but I'd never expect others to share space with him on a flight. More than once, I've listened to a whining dog in the first class cabin, when I had paid for a full price ticket. And, what about folks with dog allergies, don't they count? I'd vote for no pets unless legitimate service dogs.

I think the person in the middle should get all the armrest they want. They’ve suffered enough; least I can do

Yes the person in the middle gets the arm rests. I would rather sit next to a dog than most people.