Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2019, 05:39 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I recall my days in the industry and specifically the day a passenger arrived for boarding with their emotional support miniature pony in tow. Bulkhead row. The pony stood. Had a special "poo-catching" bag attached to its rear orifice - just in case. Adorable, well-behaved animal.

The only more amusing incident was seeing two male conjoined twins deplaning, two torsos, one set of legs, the dominant one carrying the other like a bushel basket, facing one another. Unlikely they encroached seat mates' space, they were lean guys, but sitting next to them might have been a bit awkward during an extended flight. Or maybe not. Thoughts?
Probably an actual trained service animal.

Miniature horses are gaining in popularity as service animals since the training is expensive & they live longer than dogs.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 05:43 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Why do people who are 6'2" not automatically spring for extra space seats or 1st class? Just curious...

If no one could recline there would not have been the domino effect you described. I'm 5'4" but spending 5 hours with a seat that's 7 inches from my face isn't fun.
The coach seats work fine for me, and I am not "triggered" by someone reclining their seat. So I do not need to "automatically" get 1st class or extra space.

I do get more space on carriers where I have status, and when travelling with DS, who is 6-6; we often can get exit row just by approaching the gate agent.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
Reclining is the only bit of comfort available in those tiny seats. Why would anyone not want to use it?
That’s how I see it. I do at least pay up for economy plus, so there is more room behind me as I’m forward in the economy plus section.. If I’m tired and need to sleep I have to recline.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why do people who are 6'2" not automatically spring for extra space seats or 1st class? Just curious...
A fellow who worked for me was 7 foot 3 inches. Some idiot in accounting asked me why he had to fly First Class and couldn't fly coach.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Reclining is the only bit of comfort available in those tiny seats. Why would anyone not want to use it?
I generally don't recline as I know how much I hate it when the person in front of me tries to recline.

Coach seats don't recline that much nowadays anyway, but it still hurts my knees.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

We are going to Europe and paid the extra 50 for more leg room. It will be more than worth it.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #167

Quote:

If no one could recline there would not have been the domino effect you described. I'm 5'4" but spending 5 hours with a seat that's 7 inches from my face isn't fun.
oh I dunno...maybe they can't afford it
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
oh I dunno...maybe they can't afford it
You'll note that my "why don't people" was a tongue-in-cheek response to the prior post which I quoted, which asked the same question about a different group.. and yes the answer is the same for all reasons:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Why do people so "triggered" by reclining not automatically spring for extra space seats or 1st class?

Just curious.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Because it's intrusive/uncomfortable for the person behind you. If you don't mind being a dick, go for it!
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #170
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
As we boarded the plane from London to Barcelona last month, one older couple sharing first class with us on the trans Atlantic flight was seated on the isle to our left for this economy only seating last connection. A younger couple with a 10 month old son sat directly behind them. Little did we know that this couple was actually Gestapo and seeking information from the boy. When the plane was fully boarded they immediately set to torturing the boy until he started screaming and sobbing. This would continue until the child passed out. The agents passed smelling salts to wake the boy and the cycle repeated. The older woman we had chatted up looked at me with eyes that pleaded, kill me now.

With everyone seated, the pilot announced that the taxi runway was full and the plane would remain at the gate for 25 minutes. A collective groan issued from the cabin. He said it was not the fault of the airline. With a few minutes remaining to sit before pushing back from the gate, seven Americans with their carryon luggage suddenly rushed to the front of the plane and demanded to be released. Unless they disembarked RIGHT NOW they would not be able to make an alternate connection to Chicago today. Lord only knows how going from London to Barcelona was going to get them to Chicago in the first place. Following some tense moments and internal bickering amongst the Americans standing in the isle next to me, the flight deck crew reopened the door and let the Chicago seven off of the plane. The captain announced that the baggage hold would have to be searched to find luggage of the ugly Americans. While this was being done, the chief steward distracted the passengers by playing a game called Whose luggage is this­? Conducted by him opening each of the overhead bins and pulling out a piece of luggage one by one and asking 'Whose luggage is this?' Starting at the front of the plane and working to the tail, the game continued until he got to me at seat 5D when inexplicably the game ended. Which was fortunate because I don’t think I could have guessed my luggage appearance now that the boy was being tortured again. During the preflight safety briefing I noticed that the card showing how to exit the aircraft indicated it was a Boeing 737 8MAX. What the heck, all USA 737 MAX were still grounded for safety following two crashes this year – don’t the same laws of aviation safety apply Norwegian Airlines? I gripped the armrest so tightly that a piece broke during takeoff.

Once airborne, the flight was uneventful except for the torture and waterboarding continuing in seats 6B and 6C. When we began the descent into Barcelona, the Gestapo had apparently gotten all the information needed from the boy and gave him a juice pack to suck on. Of course, this cleared the toddler’s Eustachian tubes and he quieted right down. Idiot parents. In thickly accented English, a stewardess said to remove seat backs and open windows to prepare for landing. Fortunately, no one opened a window at 30,000 feet or we all would have been sucked out of the hole in the fuselage.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Airplane Etiquette Rules for a Happy Flight
Old 11-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #171

Airplane Etiquette Rules for a Happy Flight

Thank you. I laughed all the way through that.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:24 AM   #172
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Thank you. I laughed all the way through that.
Prego.

I maintained a diary every day of our four week Italian - European adventure. It was a fun way to capture memories of DW and I that will fade when dementia sets in.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #173
gone traveling

I think I may have had some of those Gestapo agents behind me on a flight to the Dominican Republic, not so much from the audible screaming/crying, but from the kicking of my seat back that went unchecked for 2 hours. I now understand why they don't allow sharp objects on airplanes.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:52 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
Please do let us know if you found this comfortable. So cheap I ordered one with no plans to fly for at least a year!
I loved it! Some of the time I had my feet in it, and then I'd put my calves in it like a recliner.

The guy next to me watched every move I made, but never said a word about it.

I asked the guy in front of me if I bothered him, and he said "no, why?" and I showed him what I'd used the whole trip and he said he had no idea.

So, it was worth it!

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:03 AM   #175

We carry the feet hammocks. If the seat have seat-back tray tables, we just attach them there. While they don't solve all first world problems, they can improve most flights (except the lie-flat seat-beds). But we never wear flip-flops. Ugh!
Old 11-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

The times we've flown coach recently, the recline button didn't work. It's hard on Mr. A., who has very long legs. His poor knees are almost in his lap.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The times we've flown coach recently, the recline button didn't work. It's hard on Mr. A., who has very long legs. His poor knees are almost in his lap.
On a lot of planes, the row in front of the exit row has recline disabled. Also of course any row that backs up to things like the bathrooms or any walls that might separate the coach cabin.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote