Airplane Etiquette Rules for a Happy Flight

IMO, and as others have noted, 50% of the annoyances in coach are the dimensions and 50% is the clientele's lack of courtesy; not a good formula for a pleasant trip.

[/QUOTE]The problem I have is that the 50% lack of courtesy is not resolved by purchasing a first class ticket. .[/QUOTE]

It is possible that my one "never again" foray sitting in coach out of my 4 million logged miles was simply a horrible anomaly.

But anecdotes here and elsewhere lead me to believe that the level of civility in FC is somewhat better if only due to more space creating a less stressful environment. I can't say 'never' but I've seldom witnessed many of the behaviors I hear about.

Last edited:
Ran across this today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...top-reclining-their-airline-seats/4158135002/

Apparently the writer at USA Today thinks it's a settled issue and one should not recline their seat. Now that you all know that, please adhere to the rules. One of the funniest comments was that if the person in front of you does recline their set, you should get a flight attendant involved. I'm sure that would make their day.

Ran across this today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...top-reclining-their-airline-seats/4158135002/

Apparently the writer at USA Today thinks it's a settled issue and one should not recline their seat. Now that you all know that, please adhere to the rules. One of the funniest comments was that if the person in front of you does recline their set, you should get a flight attendant involved. I'm sure that would make their day.
When I fly I often have to recline my seat then use a pillow behind my lower back due to fused back and serious pain issues. This is especially a factor if the flight is more than an hour long. Otherwise I would have to be doped up on opiates, passed out drunk, or lying down in the aisle. I also pay more for leg room.

Cheers!

Yeah ... me, too.

14 hours in a P-3 Orion was forever, but it was comfortable and the folks on board kind to one another.

The joys of flying economy

4A68865E-4982-4A8E-8C4B-DEAFD186A702.png

Ran across this today:

This person talks about things you should never do on a plane, like eat limburger, then suggests you ask the person in front of you not to recline their seat, a really bad idea.

Someone asked me once not to recline my seat. I politely declined the request. Why? Well, I am 6-2 in height and the person in front of me reclined.

Why do people so "triggered" by reclining not automatically spring for extra space seats or 1st class?

Just curious.

Now, what about those parents who are letting their kids kick the back of my seat the whole flight?

;)

Why? Well, I am 6-2 in height and the person in front of me reclined.

Why do people so "triggered" by reclining not automatically spring for extra space seats or 1st class?

Just curious.

Why do people who are 6'2" not automatically spring for extra space seats or 1st class? Just curious...

If no one could recline there would not have been the domino effect you described. I'm 5'4" but spending 5 hours with a seat that's 7 inches from my face isn't fun.

Reclining is the only bit of comfort available in those tiny seats. Why would anyone not want to use it?

I recall my days in the industry and specifically the day a passenger arrived for boarding with their emotional support miniature pony in tow. Bulkhead row. The pony stood. Had a special "poo-catching" bag attached to its rear orifice - just in case. Adorable, well-behaved animal.

The only more amusing incident was seeing two male conjoined twins deplaning, two torsos, one set of legs, the dominant one carrying the other like a bushel basket, facing one another. Unlikely they encroached seat mates' space, they were lean guys, but sitting next to them might have been a bit awkward during an extended flight. Or maybe not. Thoughts?

Probably an actual trained service animal.

Miniature horses are gaining in popularity as service animals since the training is expensive & they live longer than dogs.

Why do people who are 6'2" not automatically spring for extra space seats or 1st class? Just curious...

If no one could recline there would not have been the domino effect you described. I'm 5'4" but spending 5 hours with a seat that's 7 inches from my face isn't fun.
The coach seats work fine for me, and I am not "triggered" by someone reclining their seat. So I do not need to "automatically" get 1st class or extra space.

I do get more space on carriers where I have status, and when travelling with DS, who is 6-6; we often can get exit row just by approaching the gate agent.

Reclining is the only bit of comfort available in those tiny seats. Why would anyone not want to use it?

That’s how I see it. I do at least pay up for economy plus, so there is more room behind me as I’m forward in the economy plus section.. If I’m tired and need to sleep I have to recline.

A fellow who worked for me was 7 foot 3 inches. Some idiot in accounting asked me why he had to fly First Class and couldn't fly coach.

I generally don't recline as I know how much I hate it when the person in front of me tries to recline.

Coach seats don't recline that much nowadays anyway, but it still hurts my knees.

We are going to Europe and paid the extra 50 for more leg room. It will be more than worth it.

oh I dunno...maybe they can't afford it:confused:

oh I dunno...maybe they can't afford it:confused:

You'll note that my "why don't people" was a tongue-in-cheek response to the prior post which I quoted, which asked the same question about a different group.. and yes the answer is the same for all reasons:

Just curious.

As we boarded the plane from London to Barcelona last month, one older couple sharing first class with us on the trans Atlantic flight was seated on the isle to our left for this economy only seating last connection. A younger couple with a 10 month old son sat directly behind them. Little did we know that this couple was actually Gestapo and seeking information from the boy. When the plane was fully boarded they immediately set to torturing the boy until he started screaming and sobbing. This would continue until the child passed out. The agents passed smelling salts to wake the boy and the cycle repeated. The older woman we had chatted up looked at me with eyes that pleaded, kill me now.

With everyone seated, the pilot announced that the taxi runway was full and the plane would remain at the gate for 25 minutes. A collective groan issued from the cabin. He said it was not the fault of the airline. With a few minutes remaining to sit before pushing back from the gate, seven Americans with their carryon luggage suddenly rushed to the front of the plane and demanded to be released. Unless they disembarked RIGHT NOW they would not be able to make an alternate connection to Chicago today. Lord only knows how going from London to Barcelona was going to get them to Chicago in the first place. Following some tense moments and internal bickering amongst the Americans standing in the isle next to me, the flight deck crew reopened the door and let the Chicago seven off of the plane. The captain announced that the baggage hold would have to be searched to find luggage of the ugly Americans. While this was being done, the chief steward distracted the passengers by playing a game called Whose luggage is this­? Conducted by him opening each of the overhead bins and pulling out a piece of luggage one by one and asking 'Whose luggage is this?' Starting at the front of the plane and working to the tail, the game continued until he got to me at seat 5D when inexplicably the game ended. Which was fortunate because I don’t think I could have guessed my luggage appearance now that the boy was being tortured again. During the preflight safety briefing I noticed that the card showing how to exit the aircraft indicated it was a Boeing 737 8MAX. What the heck, all USA 737 MAX were still grounded for safety following two crashes this year – don’t the same laws of aviation safety apply Norwegian Airlines? I gripped the armrest so tightly that a piece broke during takeoff.

Once airborne, the flight was uneventful except for the torture and waterboarding continuing in seats 6B and 6C. When we began the descent into Barcelona, the Gestapo had apparently gotten all the information needed from the boy and gave him a juice pack to suck on. Of course, this cleared the toddler’s Eustachian tubes and he quieted right down. Idiot parents. In thickly accented English, a stewardess said to remove seat backs and open windows to prepare for landing. Fortunately, no one opened a window at 30,000 feet or we all would have been sucked out of the hole in the fuselage.

Last edited:
I think I may have had some of those Gestapo agents behind me on a flight to the Dominican Republic, not so much from the audible screaming/crying, but from the kicking of my seat back that went unchecked for 2 hours. I now understand why they don't allow sharp objects on airplanes.

Please do let us know if you found this comfortable. So cheap I ordered one with no plans to fly for at least a year!

I loved it! Some of the time I had my feet in it, and then I'd put my calves in it like a recliner.

The guy next to me watched every move I made, but never said a word about it.

I asked the guy in front of me if I bothered him, and he said "no, why?" and I showed him what I'd used the whole trip and he said he had no idea.

So, it was worth it!

Last edited:
We carry the feet hammocks. If the seat have seat-back tray tables, we just attach them there. While they don't solve all first world problems, they can improve most flights (except the lie-flat seat-beds). But we never wear flip-flops. Ugh!

Last edited: