Airport parking

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was shopping for airport parking for our next vacation and I now see major hotel chains here in Houston are selling parking spaces . I also am seeing used car lots selling parking spaces . Traditionally we have always used like a Park and Fly with a coupon but these people are charging 6.50 per day .

Has anyone used this type of parking , Like parking at a Hilton for long term and not required to stay at the Hotel ?

Last edited:
Same.

For a short trip of a few days, I'll use short term airport parking and I know where to park best.

For longer term, I'll go uber or a car service. That way my car isn't sitting in a parking lot for two weeks+

Traditionally we have always used like a Park and Fly with a coupon but these people are charging 3.50 per day .

park and fly is 3.50 a day or the optional parking is 3.50 a day?

I used to use the parking spot lot off of 59/will clayton

Last edited:
Has anyone used this type of parking , Like parking at a Hilton for long term and not required to stay at the Hotel ?

Nowadays we take the train or bus to Toronto and back when going on trips, but when we drove, we used this (type of) service a few times, (through an 'agency' rather than directly pay the hotel), worked out great.

I've done the hotel thing a couple of times. Beware that the hotel may make just one airport run an hour. If you just miss them on the return, you've got a long wait, or a cab ride to the hotel. And you can't cut it close on the outbound for the same reason. I'm not really a big fan, but for a long enough stay it may be worth it.

I use short term parking at our local airport. It's under $20 a day and my car is a very short walk when I return which is nice if it's cold/rainy or too hot. I have used hotels at SFO and had no problem whatsoever. The one even took us to the airport in a limo! :)

Sorry , park and Fly is in excess of 6.00 a day . Yes I see the hotels only run shuttles upon a call or once an hour .

I used hotel parking once. The promised van to pick us up never showed and we ended up taking a couple of taxis for our group to the hotel. Never again!

Sorry , park and Fly is in excess of 6.00 a day . Yes I see the hotels only run shuttles upon a call or once an hour .

if you are trying to save 2.50 a day I'd just stick with park and fly

long-term at IAH is about $20 a day?

Big Hitter you are right it sounds small but over all this is a chance to save 45.00

Big Hitter you are right it sounds small but over all this is a chance to save 45.00

I'd stick with a known known - like others have mentioned you may have to take a cab/uber to retrieve your car, etc.

plus the external lots at IAH are pretty diligent with regard to 24/7 security and video monitoring

we used to always park at the airport but started using parking spot with a coupon - got used to it over the years the shuttle drivers will come right to you and load your luggage

heck airport parking in Boise is about $12 a day

Last edited:
Quite a few years ago we used the hotel parking option - we were staying there the night before our early morning flight. It was a good deal and no hassle. Last year my daughter did a similar thing (she has 2 young children) and likewise had a good experience.
Other than that one time we use a limo service.

Try https://www.airportparkingreservations.com
I had to fly out of EWR and parking there is $$. I used the above site and found something for $7/day which is very good.

Shuttles ran on time, car was as I left it. Read the reviews and make your choice.
No Affiliations with them.

When the company was paying I used the nice parking structure across from the terminal. A very short, covered walk in. It was $15/day (I think it's $18 now).

I use the far lot now at $5 per day.

We've used park sleep fly https://www.parksleepfly.com/ out of Houston (Bush). You have a choice of hotels and two weeks of parking cost little more than the room alone. The only downside was lack of covered parking - the car stays in the hotel lot the entire time. I was very pleased and it is now my goto method.

We use Uber/Lyft.
No parking to worry about.
No waiting for shuttle van.

+1. Easy peasy. For short trips, I'll use daily deck. I can walk and needn't rely on parking shuttle.

FWIW, CLT has been undergoing a major remod/expansion. It's fine for connecting through. But if arriving/departing, get some Prozac, Maker's Mark, or some good weed. You gonna need it! :(:mad::mad:

Yes, I've used Hilton and Marriott hotels with shuttles scheduled on the half hour or on demand. I stick with respected hotel brands that have frequent service.

Also use economy lot at the airport, one way car rental, super shuttle, and Uber/Lyft. Depends on the length of trip and which airport(s) I'm using.

We use an off-site parking service. I think it's $6 or $7 a day. Shuttle service is timely and they always have your car in the shade when you get off the shuttle (if you remember to call them when you get off the plane).

We've used park sleep fly https://www.parksleepfly.com/ out of Houston (Bush). You have a choice of hotels and two weeks of parking cost little more than the room alone. The only downside was lack of covered parking - the car stays in the hotel lot the entire time. I was very pleased and it is now my goto method.
A few more details. We have to drive in to use IAH and for early flights I like to stay at a hotel near the airport the night before. We stayed at the airport Sleep Inn (close to the cheapest option - there were many other choices for higher cost). I believe it was $115 for a 1 night stay, 15 days of parking and a shuttle to and from the airport. When we arrived back after our trip, the shuttle was sent to pick us up with no more than a 10 min wait. The shuttle service serves several airport hotels but we were the only passengers when we arrived ~ 7 am at IAH. The sleep inn near IAH is an older hotel but it was clean with new mattresses. The staff was friendly and we had no problems what so ever. I had thought that we might take an Uber back to get our car but the shuttle was fast and efficient so didn't need to. If we had used Uber it still would have been a great deal.

Last edited:
We leave our US home for months at a time. We leave our car in our driveway, partly as a sign that someone may be home.

We don't sleep well in motels (when we travel we usually rent houses). My spouse does not like to leave our house with suitcases via a taxi as years ago there were a number of house robberies in DC-Metro that were eventually traced to taxi operators (the cabbies did not rob the house but sold this info to thieves).

We live an easy 25 minutes from our FL airport, so the afternoon before (between rush-hours) we rent a car at the airport and return it at our flight time. I usually find $30 - $40 daily rentals with the major companies using my Costco cards (others will have other discount memberships I'm sure); at the holidays I have paid up to $50 for a one day rental. I start checking Costco a month before our travel and then every few days. I am amazed how these rental prices yo-yo, so it's worth a few minutes a day to do this. I have recently started checking Uber but the rental car prices still beat them. Cabs to or from the airport end up between $65 and $70 and that's pre-tip.

When we return to the US, same deal in reverse.

One added bonus is that the rental car drop-offs at many airports are very close to the termina, closer than the economy lots in our case.

Last edited:
I'm ruined for airport parking now. Around 10 years ago Marriott acquired a property in the Twin Cities airport area. It had INDOOR HEATED parking.

You could book a room on points and then do a parking add on at the desk. They charged 10 bucks a day for the heated spots. If you were nice to the hotel staff sometimes they didn't even bother to run the parking costs. You could go to Mexico come back to below zero weather and hop into you unsnowcovered and room temp car. It was heaven and as you can imagine demand was off the charts. They had a 24 hour on demand shuttle. If you had an early airport call they would pack you a bag of yogurt, juice, muffins and some fruit and give it to you when you got in the van. They have switched to a regular park and fly option and charge an extra 20 a night for the indoor spaces.. It was nice while it lasted!

Shop around. I know that Hampton Inn/Boston Logan Airport has a deal where if you spend the night you can leave your car for up to 10 days for free.

A good deal if you have a very early flight and live far from the airport.

Back
Top Bottom