Airstream - This may be a bad idea but they are so cool

WE thought it would be fun to travel in an motorhome for a year. My friend's parents came back from a year trip in 2008 and wanted to sell the 1993 rv with only 34kmiles on it. They were the 2nd owner. Now 8 years later we have only put 13k on it. The first trip was 2 weeks while we were still working and we went to far so mostly driving and gas was high so cost us a fortune. If you dry camp you run out of power. Then did a few weekends a summer and that was it. In 2015 we took a big trip for a month. I was sick of it at the end. Although, I mostly cooked we spend 6k on rv sites, gas etc. WE have mostly used it as an extra bedroom when we have company. Each owner has sold it for half of what they paid and that is where we are at if we sell it. It is 27 ft. MY DH would like to travel for a year but I could not do it. WE also have 4 dogs (three very tiny) and 1 big guy.

We did the “RV thing” a few years back. At first it was the “rush” you imagine - after a few trips, not so much. Because my husband was a fisherman and pulled a big boat, we already had a big truck.

We had tried “pop-up” with HVAC camping and minimal investment. We had a lot of fun as we lived along the Gulf Coast with abundant State Parks. Eventually, I got tired of the trek to the bathroom at night, so we went “upscale”.

After several trips the first year, our interest dwindled. Why? It was a much bigger hassle then the pop-up. So much equipment to maintain, keeping it washed and towing in heavy traffic – well – just not so much fun. We also used ours as another bedroom for large family gatherings at Christmas.

Then along came Katrina. We spent the eve of the storm in our camper at Hattiesburg, MS. Waking up in the middle of the night we heard that it was on target for where our house was located, and then on up to where we were camping. We high-tailed it to Memphis.

After the storm, many people were seeking campers while they re-did their houses. We sold ours at a very good price, glad to help somebody in our neighborhood out who also had “camper plans”, and….most of all….we were glad to be unburdened from having to use the camper.

You are right. It looks like a postcard experience. Reality for us – not so much. Good luck

It's good that a couple of people have spoken up about how RV is not for them. Like any other leisure activity, it is not for everyone.

RV'ing is a lifestyle, meaning those of us that love it, love it because of what it affords, and in spite of what it doesn't.

IMHO it affords independence, coziness, the ability to get up close and personal with nature, the comfort of having your own stuff around you, the congeniality of most RV'ers, the ability to go out on the road for a whole lot of days at a pretty minimal cost, the sound of the ocean crashing, or the pine trees blowing, or the birds tweeting in your ears while you sleep, the smells of nature, like sea salt, pine trees, sage, manzanita - and taking your own home with you where ever you go....
On a trip going up Coastal Hwy 1 in California, it was around noon when we happened to pass a spot suitable to stop for a lunch. So, we did, having lunch while listening to the waves crashing not too far away, and feeling the ocean breeze on our face.

So many times we have stopped like that by a stream (roads are often built along a meandering stream, and that can go for miles, even a 100 miles). I am glad our 25' MH is not too long for impromptu stops, even with it towing a car.

I concur with all the advice given here thus far about the wisdom of renting before owning, even if it is a bit costly to do so on a per-night basis. I think you'll quickly know whether or not this lifestyle is for you and your DW.

Well, the question is more "do you RV or don't you", and not about the Airstream vs. another RV. If one does not like this mode of travel, there's no RV that will change that, even if it has gold-plated sinks and faucets.

Last edited:
All good questions. The towing capacity of my F-150 is rated at 9,750 pounds and the 20 foot Flying Cloud I am considering is:

Hitch Weight (w/ LP & Batteries) (lbs.) 631
Unit Base Weight (w/ LP & Batteries) (lbs.) 4,271

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs.) 5,000

So OK there. The point about sales tax is a good one which I did not consider.

The towing capacity of your truck is usually not the limiting factor, payload is. This is because the trailer acts a a lever on the back of your truck. You need to understand the actual (or estimate) tongue weight as a result of the trailer. One way to estimate this is 13% of the trailer weight. In addition to this, everything you put in the truck (people, dogs, food, beer, ice, flashlights, etc) takes away from the payload capacity. Even the hitch itself takes away payload capacity.

To see where you start at (in terms of your trucks payload), you cannot just look at the payload figure in the payload guide, as it measures the best possible payload for your style of truck (e.g. supercrew with 5.0L or whatever). Instead, you must look at the payload stick ON YOUR truck. For Ford F-150's, it is a yellow tag on the drivers side. From that, you must subtract the items (and other things) I mention above.

Even better is to load the trailer up, load the truck up, and take it to a scale and weigh it.

The towing capacity of your truck is usually not the limiting factor, payload is. This is because the trailer acts a a lever on the back of your truck. You need to understand the actual (or estimate) tongue weight as a result of the trailer. One way to estimate this is 13% of the trailer weight. In addition to this, everything you put in the truck (people, dogs, food, beer, ice, flashlights, etc) takes away from the payload capacity. Even the hitch itself takes away payload capacity.

To see where you start at (in terms of your trucks payload), you cannot just look at the payload figure in the payload guide, as it measures the best possible payload for your style of truck (e.g. supercrew with 5.0L or whatever). Instead, you must look at the payload stick ON YOUR truck. For Ford F-150's, it is a yellow tag on the drivers side. From that, you must subtract the items (and other things) I mention above.

Even better is to load the trailer up, load the truck up, and take it to a scale and weigh it.

Don't underestimate the importance of the above. Consider too the difference between can do it and your safety and comfort. You don't want to be underpowered or under-braked. Until you've gone through an intersection at 40 mph being unable to stop its hard to understand. ;)

I frequently talk to RV'ers at stops often ask how they like the drive(especially across KS). I know the folks driving 2500 vs 3500 based on nothing but their comments. I recall a lengthy conversation with a couple who recently upgraded to a 3500, they didn't know how they camped before. I've never seen a 1500 pulling anything much bigger than a popup. For reference I have a 1500 and have pulled too many things that weigh too much.

Please check that out before you buy. Think about where you expect to pull the Airstream? Rockies are great for camping.:D

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Both the positive and negative are abundantly helpful. I also posted on the Airstream Forum and received many helpful responses there to my more technical questions. I think we will take this very slowly. Going to go to the Hershey RV show in September and look around. We already have a lot of toys and I want to make sure this one doesn't get played with for a few weeks and relegated to the bottom of the toy chest.

Perhaps what we will do is take a flight out west and as part of a longer trip rent one for only four days during off peak dates (October 1 - March 15 - not that cold in southern California) where the cost is only $3,040 which is not so much dead money.

These rates are not cheap:

https://airstream2go.com/rates

Wow! For off-peak rates, still very expensive at $4480 for 7 days on a 23', even if it includes the towing pickup.

Out of curiosity, I check CruiseAmerica, and their off-peak rent for a 25' class C motorhome is just $700/week which includes 700 miles, with 35c per additional mile.

If you just want to check out the RV travel style, a non-Airstream RV is much cheaper.

Last edited:
There are probably cheaper rental options if you forgo an Airstream. You're basically wanting to see if you will like this form of vacation/travel. Find something cheaper to rent or buy a used camper that's not a pricey Airstream.

We started out with a used Class C motorhome with no slides, three months later traded for a used Class A with two slides. Kept that for 10 years, used it less each year. Even spent three winters in Arizona in it. I swear it was shrinking daily. Sold it last year and now have a 20' pull trailer with one slide that we use a couple times a year.

As mentioned above, check out the weight before leaving town.

Have never had more than 5 business days in a row off...

phil1ben, I know almost nothing about RVing but I think your statement above is the better place to start a discussion about RVing or even vacationing. The advice to rent first or buy used makes all kinds of sense, but honestly, I think I would try just a one week or maybe 10 day car vacation with your wife to see if you are cut out for LOTS of driving and LOTS of close interaction away from home.

DW and I seem to do pretty well for about a week or so and then we get on each others nerves when we travel without lots of space to do our own thing. If you are very close and can't seem to spend enough time together NOW, then maybe you are cut out for the "closeness" of RVing.

We "live" in 1100 sq. ft, and it does work for us, but that's because we have staked out our separate spaces - even though they are in sight of each other. I have a "Les Nessman" offiee (see "WKRP in Cincinnati" if you don't know what I'm talking about.) She takes the Lanai. It works well. But being "stuck" in a 180sf camper for more than a few days could be a real problem IMHO.

So, if I were to offer advice, it would be to see how well you do in a confined space with each other before even considering purchase (or rental) of an RV. Just my 2 cents - I hope it's worth what you payed for it as YMMV.

OUrs is 167 sq ft. When we wanted to be alone he went to the bedroom and I sat at the table. A month is our max before someone dies:)) Also we have 4 dogs so that makes it more crowded. 3 are under 10 lbs but one is an 80lb big guy that loves to lay in the hallway so we need to step over him constantly. He is very old so we put up with it.

In the most recent RV trip in spring, we were stuck in our 25'x8' motorhome for 3 days in a snowstorm near Denver. We were a bit restless, but did not turn on each other. And we have made many 2-month long cross-country treks. No problem.

Many have brought up the point of taking pets with you as one big advantage for RVing. Another is not having to live out of a suitcase and hauling stuff from car to hotel room. I think the major advantage is to be able to go places and experience things you just can't do when hotel is involved.

It is a lifestyle choice, and is not really less cost vs hotels. It is different, and those differences are what makes some really like it and some don't like it.

Also, just because you have an RV, doesn't mean you have to always avoid hotels. We just spent three nights in Fargo at a brand new extended stay hotel while the RV+sailboat was parked in their parking lot. Nicest hotel I have stayed in under $200 a night and this one was $65! Hardwood floors and full kitchen.

So if you go the airstream with an extended trip, just stop off at a hotel once in awhile to spread out and take a 45 minute shower. It is still nice having all of your clothes, toys, gear right there in the parking lot if you need something.

Another Airstream Owner

My wife and I have owned an Airstream for five years. The Airstream lifestyle is an important dimension of our life in retirement.

There are five KOA campgrounds that rent Airstreams on site. My wife and I spent a few nights in an Airstream at the KOA in Bar Harbor, ME to get a feel for the experience before buying. There are a number of other locations around the country where you can rent an Airstream by the night. Do a Google search on "Airstream hotels" or "Airstream rental". You'll find you can rent an Airstream parked in a campground for less than $200 per night. Here's a link to the information about renting the Airstreams at KOA:

Unique Campings Options, Teepees Yurts and Walls Tents | KOA

After deciding we wanted to purchase an Airstream we spent several months researching on Airforums.com as well as looking at new and used Airstreams. We learned most dealers will discount a new Airstream on the lot 20%. However one must then buy a hitch and other equipment to go camping.

We also learned used Airstreams depreciate slowly after the first 3 years. We decided to buy used assuming we could get most of our money back if after a few months we decided we didn't like it or wouldn't use it enough. We after a couple of used Airstreams failed our inspection, we found a 3 year old Airstream on eBay that after inspection met our standards for condition. We paid about 35% less than the cost of an identical new unit for a 3 year old unit that had only been used 5 times. It looked brand new. Five years later, based on the prices we've seen in ads, our unit would probably sell today for only $5000 less than we paid for it.

Most people selling used Airstreams ask for more than they expect to get. Don't be afraid to offer 10-15% less than asking price and then negotiate to a middle ground. In addition, most sellers of used trailers will include the hitch and accessory items which can save you over $1000.

Finally, depending on where you live there may be an Airstream only campground near you. There are 11 "Airstream parks" located around the country. Many sell sites or rent them seasonally. My wife and I live two hours from a beautiful Airstream Park in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, only a two hour drive from our home. We leave our Airstream at the park during the spring summer and fall. It serves as our mountain escape at a fraction of the cost of buying a cabin or second home. In addition, we travel with it as well. After 5 years of ownership we've spent 450 nights in our Airstream and have traveled over 35,000 miles.

Here is a link to a page describing the Airstream parks, including locations. Note that while the link is to a WBCCI page (the WBCCI is the Airstream club) you do not have to be a WBCCI member to visit most of the parks.

http://wbcci.org/airstream-parks/classifieds/airstream-parks

NC 57 did not know there were parks that have "in place" Airstreams to rent. That is a great idea. We will look into it. Also the percentages that you quoted are exactly what I have found which is why were considering new. The savings was about 10-15% if we bought a 2-3 year old trailer but then we would not get the warranty. Great post. Thank you.

Renting a parked-in-place Airstream lets you know how you will feel inside the actual unit that you will buy. However, you do not experience the "joy" of towing it cross-country, the mechanics of operating an RV, and the logistics of finding campgrounds or boondocking sites, etc...

So, it depends on whether one is a traveler or a camper. When I bought my motorhome, I wondered about the traveling aspects as much as the exact characteristics of the RV that I would want.

I like mobility, and if it is too cumbersome for me compared to doing a car road trip, then I would not enjoy it. Turns out that I could live with the drawbacks, in exchange for the advantages. Some people could never get over it, and ended up not using their RVs much.

Last edited:
I agree sleeping in a parked in place RV does not covey the entire experience, particularly the on the road situation. That's why I also recommended buying a 3-5 year old, well maintained, used unit. In the Airstream market one can recover most of the price of a slightly used unit if the purchaser decides he or she doesn't like it a year after purchase. If one buys and equips a new unit, selling it a year later will result in a significant loss for the buyer of the new unit and a great value for the person buying it slightly used.

I don't know anything about the used market for RV's other than Airstreams. Since the OP was posting about Airstreams I shared my Airstream trailer experience. It may be the situation is different for motor homes and other trailer brands.

As to staying in one place versus traveling on the road, my wife and I do both. During the hot summer months we park the unit at a nearby Airstream park at a higher, cooler elevation where we use it as a place to escape periodically for a few days. During the fall, winter and spring months we travel. We enjoy both the travel and stay in one place experiences.

From my perspective the first decision point was determining if we would like staying in an Airstream trailer versus a hotel. The stay in place KOA rental helped us with that decision point at a low cost. From there, buying a used trailer mitigated the financial risk of buying if we didn't like the towing and traveling. Ironically the couple we purchased our lightly used Airstream from, sold it because the wife couldn't stand sleeping in an RV. After five trips she told her husband she would only stay in a motel.

We actually know three people who love their Airstreams but don't tow them. They have someone else tow the units to a campground where they leave it for the summer season.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

phil1ben - consider that it's possible that despite good preparation and consideration you may ultimately not be able to foresee how well you might like rving. Keep an open mind going into this. I was prepared to hate rving and now manage AIRForums. Go figure.

I was a die-hard tent camper (think sawed off toothbrush handles and hiking the entire Appalachian trail) with disdain for the mobile house crowd but the ground got hard as I got older and I found that time spent in beautiful, remote areas diminished as a result. My DH suggested an RV and I instantly shot down the idea. Next he suggested a tent trailer and I grudgingly agreed to rent one for a week. We camped in the rain for a solid week and were generally miserable. I was ready to consider a travel trailer.

After touring through hundreds of square trailers, truck campers and a few motorhomes I was ready to give up. Quality issues and uninspired design just left me unimpressed. Then I wandered into an Airstream - a small one and for the first time thought 'hmm... this might do'. The price tag for a new one however seemed high and so we began looking for a used one. We finally settled on a 19 foot vintage model and spent some time repairing systems and fixing it up. Then we took a 4 week trip with no particular plan - just a general "we want to see death valley" direction. Amazing. I was hooked.

No more hard ground, my bed is comfortable and has fine sheets, my beer is cold, there's a bathroom and I can use a toothbrush with a full length handle.. Best of all the oval interior FEELS good. I cannot explain this but other Airstreamers will tell you the same thing - it's a bit like sleeping in a Faberge egg.

I love being able to wander and the trailer facilitates this in comfort. After a few years we traded up and got a 26 foot Airstream - again vintage and we restored. This one is the perfect size for two people and two dogs to spread out. Any larger and you can not park is in some places - many older National parks have size limits. I still have that smaller trailer and use it when I travel alone. I am a musician and often play at festivals where camping is the norm and preferable to a dive motel.

There were some challenges and I had to learn to tow. The Airstream attracts visitors with questions at campgrounds. That took some getting used to. Things break on RVs - be prepared to be a bit handy or to hire it done. It's worth noting that if you buy a vintage model you will spend just a much $$ as a lightly used newer one - restoration is expensive.

The biggest challenge however was getting over my own bias about rvs. I figured that rvers would be tacky, slothful folks, too lazy to really get outdoors but I was younger and well... foolish. What I have learned is that most rvers have a taste for adventure, the good sense to desire basic comfort and are quite social. There is a large community of RVers and a smaller one of Airstreams. We wave at each other on the road and get to know each other at parks. We swap stories and interests and tips and sometimes share a meal. We help each other out.

In the past 10-15 years I taken numerous long trips. Crossed Canada, gone to Alaska, wandered up and down the pacific Coast Highway, driven around Vancouver island and spent time in Northern Mexico. We also manage to take several weekend camping trips each year and I usually tow the camper to 4 or 5 music festivals each summer. I'm so grateful that my DH pushed me to consider an RV and was then willing to spend the extra time and $$ for an Airstream. The group of friends we've developed as a direct result has enriched our lives immensely.

Today we have range fires in my area (an annual occurrence) and there is an evacuation warning. There is water in the trailer and dog food and a few clothes. The hitch is on my car. Hopefully there will be no need but today, my trailer is quietly waiting to be emergency housing if we need to bug out.

Many things in life are not knowable until you give them a try. Usually things works out but when they don't most of us regroup and move on figuring that it's a lesson learned. Follow your gut; give it a try and regroup if needed. Life is short.

Last edited:
I'd love to get an Airstream or an rv, but I haven't got DW talked into it yet. My nephew is affiliated with a snowboard company that has a company Airstream touring the skiing/snowboarding hot spots throughout the winter. Not sure I'd want to spend a cold Colorado night in one.

Outstanding post Janet. The biggest surprise for us after we bought our Airstream was the social dimension of the RV lifestyle. We've made many new friends during our travels and often meet up with our new RV friends, or people we've gotten to know on Airforums, as we move around the country. After five years of camping and travel we feel closer in many ways to our Airstream friends than neighbors and work friends we've known for decades.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I think the major advantage is to be able to go places and experience things you just can't do when hotel is involved.
That is what got us into it. We were is Alberta and all the campsites were fantastic but the hotels and motels were in town or on the highway.

Among the memorable ones was a trip to Waterton Lake on November 5th when everything was closed. Just us and the elk and the sunshine! We went on to Fairmont Hot Springs and Radium before returning to Lake Louise and Banff. My in-laws had never seen the Rockies so they got to do it in style!

I'd love to get an Airstream or an rv, but I haven't got DW talked into it yet. My nephew is affiliated with a snowboard company that has a company Airstream touring the skiing/snowboarding hot spots throughout the winter. Not sure I'd want to spend a cold Colorado night in one.

I'm sure an Airstream is better insulated than my old motor home. I have spent the last two winters in it in the Colorado mountains. Its nice and toasty all winter long. :)

Just to chime in (and second Travelover's suggestion): Molded fiberglass trailers (Casita, Scamp, Boler, Bigfoot, Oliver, etc) have a few attributes in common with Airstreams.
1) They aren't boxy and so they have low air resistance when towing.
2) They hold their value, and it is possible to buy and re-sell a used one quickly without taking a big hit. Fiberglass trailers have very few seams to leak, and leaks (with the resulting rot and mold) are what kills many "conventional" trailers. This, plus some shoddy construction practices, are what cause the rapid depreciation in most "conventional" trailers. It's not uncommon to see Scamps that are 30 years old still getting regular use by their owners.
3) Owners of these "eggs" love them and often meet for group gatherings.

While tiny trailers (13'--total) are what people often think of when they hear of fiberglass trailers, there are also bigger models. They range from simple and inexpensive (e.g. Scamp, Casita), to quite upscale (e.g. Oliver).

Anyway, something the OP might want to consider. And, if an Airstream is still desired, you are welcome to come polish a bright aluminum airplane I know of so you can see how much [-]arduous labor[/-] fun that is.:)

Last edited:
I'm sure an Airstream is better insulated than my old motor home. I have spent the last two winters in it in the Colorado mountains. Its nice and toasty all winter long. :)

Does yours (and Airstreams for that matter) have propane heat?

Does yours (and Airstreams for that matter) have propane heat?

I think mine is 40,000 BTU.

I watched a deer wander through the aspen grove right behind my Motor Home just now. Living in these types of surroundings has its advantages. :)

Back
Top Bottom