Airstream - This may be a bad idea but they are so cool

I will weigh in on this one more time. Before we had a TT, we had a small pop-up with HVAC and it was most agile. My biggest regret after we got a TT was that we had sold the pop-up. Being in a pop-up was much more like a true "camping experience" but with a few of the luxuries ---- sleeping on a mattress, cooking facilities if it was raining, indoor lighting, HVAC, less expenses, easier to tow etc. ----all without taking away the camping experience. Lots less hassle! Just saying.....

Oh yes - and we could open it up in our garage if we had company "overflow". That was a favorite with the grandkids.

Last edited:
Posting on the Airstream Forum I found a small rental site that happens to have the same 23 foot Airstream (recent model) we are looking at. It is reasonably priced and they will hook it up to my F-150. Just need to install a brake controller. Will drive it 90 miles to the Hocking Hills, Ohio area to "try it out" for three nights. This should give my wife and I a small taste of the Airstream/trailer life at a reasonable price (about $200.00/day). We'll get to see how comfortable we are towing the trailer (realizing we will be somewhat uncomfortable on our first trip) and experience living in such a small space, albeit for a short period of time. The rental includes a weight equalizer hitch.

The downside is that it is in Dayton Ohio which is about 600 miles from our home. However, we can stop at Penn State on the way (two sons attend there) and it is only 60 miles from the Jackson Center, Ohio Airstream factory where we can take a tour.

Glad to hear that. Good luck with your trip.

Happy Valley is a nice place too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Please follow up when the adventure is completed. I'm very interested in this topic. Either you'll talk me out of what I want to do, or I'll show this thread to DH to try to talk him into it. ;)

We still love our 2 year old 36' fiberglass sided fifth wheel trailer with 4 slides and an outside kitchen. It's very modern inside, twice the room of an Airstream at one third the cost.

Most RV'ers still like the Airstreams. They're just in a specialized retail market because they're so costly new. They handle rain very well, and are heavy enough to have a long life span. I'd hate to have to keep one polished, however.

Back
Top Bottom