Join Early Retirement Today

Alaska
Old 09-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Alaska

We are planning on an Alaskan cruise next May . The one cruise we are considering leaves from Vancouver . How do you get from Seattle to Vancouver and recommendations on things to see in Vancouver ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vancouver is a very very nice place We stayed in English Bay and it is just charming.
Aquarium is super
Friends have taken the shuttle to vancouver from SEATAC http://www.quickcoach.com/
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why not fly from your home to Vancouver?

See Stanley Park.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Why not fly from your home to Vancouver?

See Stanley Park.
i concur w/ kumquat. vancouver airport is big enough
that you should be able to find a flight to vancouver
through some west coast us city at a minimum..
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We are planning on an Alaskan cruise next May . The one cruise we are considering leaves from Vancouver . How do you get from Seattle to Vancouver and recommendations on things to see in Vancouver ?
the museum of anthropology at the university of BC is unique
if i had to pick one place to visit in vancouver, that would be it for me..

Welcome to MOA! A place of world arts + cultures | Museum of Anthropology at UBC
Old 10-01-2010, 06:09 AM   #6

Our Alaska trip originated from Vancouver. We were scheduled to fly into Vancouver but a last minute passport problem forced me to fly to Seattle, rent a car, and then drive up to Vancouver where I met up with my wife and the rest of my party.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

When we last cruised in Alaska (That is our favorite cruise to date) we left from Vancouver also. To get there we flew to Seattle and then took the jet boat to Vancouver. We spent a couple of days in Seattle and really enjoyed them. After the cruise we spent a few days in Vancouver and also Victoria. You really should look into seeing Victoria it is a beautiful coastal town.

Have a great cruise!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks everybody ! We will probably fly into Seattle and take the jet boat or fly into vancouver if we can find a decent flight most of them have several connections . We are also adding a few days in Vancouver & Victoria.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #9

In Victoria check out Butchart Gardens and Royal Museum
Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #10

The short flight from Seattle to Vancouver is just gorgeous--particularly on a sunny day. You get to see the beauty of the Pacific Northwest from above, and the many islands along the way.

Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Another option is to take Amtrak. The "Cascades" train runs several times a day from Seattle to Vancouver, costs less than $40 if you book this far in advance, and winds along Puget Sound most of the way. It takes about 4 hours and you can take in the stunning scenery as you go.

Train travel is very civilized and relaxing, compared to flying or driving, IMHO.

http://media.wsdot.wa.gov/media/Amtr...akCascades.wmv
Red_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I flew from FL to Vancouver last May for the Alaska cruise. It was wonderful weather...not too cool or warm. Thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and would like to go back!
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #13

Moemg
As others have said, Vancouver is a great city. Second Buchart Gardens. If you are a foodie, Vancouver has some of the greatest dining especially asian fusion. Great China town with some great dimsum places. Also include Grandville Island on your list for super sidewalk/people watching and food as well.
Not sure they are still offerring the jet boat but it is a great Amtrak trip or easy drive.
Lots to do in Seattle as well, especially if it is your first trip.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #14

Upon arriving, we thumbed through one of the tourist/current events magazines.

Went to a very cute/entertaining play in a small venue. Also went to one of the museums.

Lucked out and saw the fireworks on barges competition (set to music) from our hotel balcony.

The next morning, there were a few "treasure hunters" with metal detectors walking the beach looking for change and jewelry where the crowd had been the night before for the event. We decided to walk there ourselves and look for treasure.

We didn't find treasure, but we found someone's drivers license and turned it in. The person was not yet aware she'd lost it.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Did a Alaska cruise/tour in August
Old 10-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Did a Alaska cruise/tour in August

We flew into Fairbanks, and came south through Denali/McKinley. We boarded a Princess cruise ship in Whittier, and came south to Vancouver on a seven day itinerary. In Vancouver we stayed at a wonderful, classy smaller hotel, L'Hermitage. We flew out of Vancouver back to Michigan.

It all worked out really well. The best scenery was on the cruise, from Whittier to Hubbard Glacier, and on to Glacier Bay. Nothing was cheap, be prepared for that (a trip to Europe might have been cheaper).

Have a great time! Drop me a message if you want more info. I strongly suggest that you join Cruise Critic, and use the information and sources on that site.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Also include Grandville Island on your list for super sidewalk/people watching and food as well.
I second Granville Island...loved that place just to walk around and look. If you get to Victoria, you might want to do "tea" at the Fairmont. That was fun for my daughter and me a few years ago when we went on our Alaskan cruise.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #17

Victoria was one of the absolute top highlights of our Alaskan cruise. Others were the helicopter flight to walk on a glacier at Juneau, and cruising around Glacier Bay to watch the glaciers calving.

Actually, the southeast Alaska cruise was our first cruise ever, and the overall experience made me decide that it would also be the last one. Nevertheless, the highlights were good enough that it was almost worthwhile.

Really, I'm not trying to be negative. Some people love cruising, others don't. You don't really know which group you're in until you've done it.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks again , All the suggestions are great . I do already belong to Cruise Critic and find it a valuable source of info. Braumeister , sorry you did not like cruising . It is not for everybody . I like it but I like almost any form of travel . Lot's of good suggestions on Vancouver .
Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #19

I have to third Grandville Island and I'm not much of a foodie. It is quite an experience, it is beyond a farmer's market. I'm not sure what to really call it.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #20

it's kinda like pike place market in seattle or farmers market in LA.. (+ more besides food oriented stuff)
not an exact analogy but you'll get the idea if you know those places..
it's not really an island either so don't worry about how to get there
it's another section of the city of vancouver