Alaskan Cruise

Was it UnCruise? I've taken their Alaskan cruise twice. I love them! (And, if it was, did you go snorkeling or take the Polar Plunge?)

No, it was a local company, Alaskan Dream Cruises, owned by Allen Marine out of Sitka. They have 5 ships ranging from 10-74 passengers. The food was excellent. We were expecting buffet style food, but ended up with 5-course meals with 6 main course choices, 3 changing each day. You could order 2+ main courses if you want. There was one passenger who was gluten-free and they either made her special dishes or took out the gluten on menu ones. Their pastry chef was outstanding. I don’t know how many times we decided to skip dessert, only to raise our hands when the specialty dessert was announced.

The polar plunge was mentioned, but not done (I don’t think anyone would do it). We did kayak and went out in their DIBs (dispersible inflated boats), to the beach and exploring the area. Small ships are the only way to go.

Small ships are the only way to go.

I agree! DH and I were a little uneasy given the extra cost, but we got hooked after the first one. He's gone now but I've already taken their cruise through the Panama Canal, have one more booked and another likely in 2019. I've never taken a larger ship and probably never will. One couple took a mega-ship cruise and told me that they had to walk the length of 6 football fields to get from the end of the ship with their stateroom to the main dining room!

So I am curious what kind of entertainment was aboard the ship in the evenings? I like the ships that hold 3k passengers plus crew. We went on one that had 5k passengers plus crew and it was too big. Also it did not have as much entertainment as the smaller ships. We don't mind the walking as we want to get 20k/steps/day when on a cruise so as to counteract the calories we are consuming:))

Entertainment was a pod of orcas during dinner and then dall porpoise playing around the ship. That show likely ruined one sauce as they delayed the main course. It still tasted good, but was thicker than molasses.

Actually, the entertainment was educational seminars put on by the crew and guests. We were lucky enough to have Mark Kelley, a prominent Juneau photographer as a passenger, who gave 2 talks, one on his photography and one on taking pictures. Others include a Park Service naturalist and a native culturalist for Glacier Bay. All day activities were included, which included tours of Petersburg and Kake. For the most part, there was little time to laze around (we did do it though), as enough activities were available.

I always enjoy seeing the wildlife.

Oh, one thing a small cruise ship will do is slow down or stop to view wildlife. They are also able to get closer for viewing. I don’t think large ships will deviate too far from their course.

Probably not but I have no desire to take a small ship. We really enjoy the nightlife on the ships. I also like to pick my own excursions. Plus I would rather take 2 trips versus one. We usually take 2 cruises a year. At home I go to bed early but on cruises we love all the nighttime choices and turn into night owls ��. It sounds like you had a great trip.

Like akck and Athena, I took a small ship cruise in Alaska. It was roughly this time last year and I enjoyed it immensely. Mine was with Lindblad. Frightfully expensive I suppose, but it was worth every penny to me (and heck, I can afford it ... blow that dough! :blush:).

My experience was very similar to what they described above. Simply awe-inspiring.

The "nightlife" on the boat, be that as it may, consisted of interesting talks by speakers from native Alaskan tribes, scientists, and photographers, and socializing with the roughly 60 other passengers. I didn't tend to stay up all that late because I usually spent the day hiking in remote islands and kayaking and needed some shut-eye. Good thing I was so active, the food was fabulous.

(Ed. to add: We had a polar plunge, and well over a dozen guests participated. I just cheered them on.)

I was there to see and enjoy Alaska, so the small ship was perfect for me. It was my first cruise and I won't ever consider a large cruise ship, I'm spoiled now. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom