Join Early Retirement Today

All-Inclusive
Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

All-Inclusive

What's the best all-inclusive vacation you've been on / to in terms of locale? Was it Mexico, Jamaica, Dom Republic or another place? Would you go back again ?
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

So far, the best "all-inclusive" trip (biased toward scuba diving) I have been on is to the Iberostar resort on Cozumel. If you don't dive, it is still a pleasant destination but you are somewhat isolated from town and other sites, so a rental car is a good idea.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Club Med, Bahias de Huatulco, Mexico, February 1994. Spectacular location, lots to do, great weather, fun ++++.

I'm probably a bit long in the tooth for Club Med these days, e.g. I shared a room, which I wouldn't do now, and I probably wouldn't go for such spartan accommodations. Unfortunately the Club Med, which was the largest in the Americas, closed some years later. It was renovated and is now a Las Brisas resort.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
So far, the best "all-inclusive" trip (biased toward scuba diving) I have been on is to the Iberostar resort on Cozumel. If you don't dive, it is still a pleasant destination but you are somewhat isolated from town and other sites, so a rental car is a good idea.
I went to an Iberostar on the "Mexican Riviera" south of Cozumel and enjoyed it. I didn't dive on that vacation but am getting back into diving so I am curious to know more about which Iberostar you went to and what the diving was like.

My favorite semi-all-inclusive trips are VBT bike tours, pretty much any of them. You get air, lodging, most meals, bikes, guides, van support and great locations.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been to many all-inclusives over the years and it really depends on what you are looking to do and what is age appropriate . Iberostar in Cozumel has great diving and I found that the sister Cayman Islands (Little Cayman and Cayman Brac) were more enjoyable for diving in an all-inclusive as well as the Divi in Bonaire. Many resorts now are or offer all-inclusives so you can relax without additional paying. What do you want to do? Who / How many people are you going with? Gambling or not ?
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I went to an Iberostar on the "Mexican Riviera" south of Cozumel and enjoyed it. I didn't dive on that vacation but am getting back into diving so I am curious to know more about which Iberostar you went to and what the diving was like.

There is only one Iberostar on Cozumel, at the south end of the island. That is far from town, but good for diving since that's where the best dive sites are and it means the boat rides are short. You can leave for the morning dive later and come back to the resort between dives.

Our favorite there is the Cozumel Grand, which is right next to the Iberostar. It probably isn't the best hotel on the island, although it is one of the better ones, but if you are diving the location is perfect and we like the dive shop.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #7

donheff and Hamster: The three of us dive, but I don't think the OP mentioned diving at all - let's see what his interests are. I've been back to all of the all-inclusives I have been to. Also Lodge Kura Hulanda at the northern tip of Curacao is 4 star with superb diving and offers an all-inclusive package.
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #8

Ferco,

Reading the responses and so glad you posted the question.

DH and i want to try an all-inclusive, interested in the Dominican Republic.

Both too chicken to dive.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Ferco,

ANOTHER option is SNUBA. You do not have to be certified. It is pretty cool for us Non-Divers. SNUBA International, Inc. - Introducing people to the underwater world since 1988
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

DH & I went on a Road Scholar trip last summer: "In the Footsteps of Lewis & Clark", a 17 day journey from St. Charles, MO ending in Portland, OR. It was our first RS trip which we greatly enjoyed, & are tentatively planning an Alaskan Road Scholar trip for next summer. The cost of airfare to the starting point & from the end to home is not included, however. RS has "lifelong learning" adventures all over the globe. It is a non-profit which helps to keep costs down.

Road Scholar: Educational Travel and Learning Vacations for Adults from Alaska to Italy

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco View Post
What's the best all-inclusive vacation you've been on / to in terms of locale? Was it Mexico, Jamaica, Dom Republic or another place? Would you go back again ?

It depends upon what you like. For overall balance, it's hard to beat the Mayan Riviera - great beaches, good value, lots of shopping and cultural activities, including pyramids, ruins, cenotes (clearwater caves/sinkholes for diving), eco-parks, ziplining, etc.

The Punta Cana area in DR is a very good value but not as good for snorkeling - but beautiful sand and lots of endless beaches to walk along.

We've not tried Jamaica and I think that will be our next try.

At any of these locations you can get accommodations from inexpensive to very high end.
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Ferco,

We really like the Majestics in Punta Cana. The Majestic Colonial has IMHO the best beach in the entire area - deep and some waves but not too rough. Lots of people watching of a diverse NA/SA/EU crowd.
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #13

we have been to the El Dorada Royale on the riviera maya, just north of playa del carmen three times. very relaxing, magnificent food, adults only. free shuttles to cancun and playa every day. two tennis courts with a tennis pro if you play.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I love Jamaica, but some people hate it. Our first all-inclusive was Sandals Montego Bay (the original Sandals). We went back 3 times. We also enjoyed Sandals Antigua and Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia. If you like the Sandals concept, it's fun to try a bunch of them. We usually book the second from the bottom category. We also like the Mayan Riveria. Azul (owned by the same company at El Dorado Royale) is good. A step down would be the Santos Gala Playacar and in Puerto Vallarta, Golden Crown Paradise. Used to be a travel agent. There are many others, some just as good, some not so much. Haven't been to the Dominican Republic.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote