Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many of the drunks are simply doing research for AA.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
The only thing I wonder about is how do you folks who take your own spirits/wine aboard get past the luggage scanner? You know, the one that "catches" all the bottle/boxes before you board?

We cruise quite often and know not to even try, since we've seen a lot of folks in line have their "stash" pulled (but returned at the end of the cruise).
Each adult is allowed a bottle of wine and 12 cans of soda. We met a guy on the last cruise who brought 2 liters of Coke with the rum already mixed in. I don't know whether he got questioned about it but he says he is very careful when he takes the lids off so as not to crack them and then replaces them after substituting some rum for Coke. Too much trouble!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
Looks as if my wife and I will be on the same cruise early in November.
Kids are in school and you are nowhere near Spring Break or Thanksgiving so your boat should be filled with people over 18. You can call Carnival and find out the demographics. They know everyone's age when they book.

Have you been on Carnival? Do you know about the Serenity deck? That's where we spent most of our time. You have to be over 21 to be there. Padded deck chairs and two hot tubs. Deck 8 (?) aft. One deck below the Paris buffet dining room. Easy to run up and grap a snack, water, coffee, ice cream, etc.

Don't know if you are doing organized excursions, but if you are just wandering around, be sure to stop at Ernesto's Fajitas in Cozumel. I just posted a review on TripAdvisor.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
The only thing I wonder about is how do you folks who take your own spirits/wine aboard get past the luggage scanner? You know, the one that "catches" all the bottle/boxes before you board?

We cruise quite often and know not to even try, since we've seen a lot of folks in line have their "stash" pulled (but returned at the end of the cruise).
Where there's a will there's a way, I guess. I have had some success in "repackaging" my Jack Daniels hooch by pouring it into smaller bottles/containers/vials/vessels and distributing them throughout the luggage (shaving kit, shoes, etc). It's more of an opportunity to see if I can beat the cruise line system (w/o breaking the law) instead of saving money.

Of course if I save money, that makes my cruise even more enjoyable.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

lol cruise and booze
web_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue me View Post

On Holland America & Princess cruises you can carry on as much wine as you want .On Carnival you can carry on a bottle of wine per person.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I seem to recall that it was VERBOTEN to bring your own alcohol on board. Did you have any issues on that Wnat cruise line

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm in.

My last cruise in 2006 was a 7 day Grand Mediterranean. I carefully packed (leak proof), and declared to airport security at all points, a duty free 3L box of white wine in my check-in luggage. I made wine coolers in a plastic cup I brought along, using the free fruit juice mixes or paid for real fruit juice at the bar. I still had some wine left at the end of the cruise.

If there had been a beverage package deal like this, I would have jumped right on that. If I wanted a virgin fruit drink or a real stinger, no big deal either way. I don't drink soda except for the occasional ginger ale or root beer.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #28

I've been on 3 cruises:

- Norwegian Cruise Lines: very strict about scanning for alcohol and, I suppose, other contraband when you return to the ship. I never ever tried to sneak anything onboard. Drinks in the lounges were a bit pricey. I'm primarily a beer and wine guy; my wife is primarily a wine gal. We would pay for one each before dinner and order the house wine (which didn't appear on the wine list) to have with dinner.

- Uniworld (river cruise): No checking what you brought on board. I bought vodka to bring home (cruise was in Russia) but could have easily consumed it on board with no difficulty. There was a lounge with moderate priced drinks. Beer and house wine was free during dinner (and maybe with lunch; I'm not sure as that's too early for me.)

- Alaskan Dream Cruises: Again, no checking what you brought on board. They charged for drinks in the lounge (moderate prices.) One free beer or glass of house wine per person with dinner. You paid for second glass.

On Norwegian and Alaskan Dream the best deal seemed to be to buy the house wine by the bottle, have them put your name on it, and use it over a couple of meals.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
On Holland America & Princess cruises you can carry on as much wine as you want .On Carnival you can carry on a bottle of wine per person.
We did the Alaska train/ship with H.A. They did check for spirits/wine in the luggage (took it and returned it on the last night).

Have yet to go on Princess, but all our other cruise lines used always did a check before going on board.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
We did the Alaska train/ship with H.A. They did check for spirits/wine in the luggage (took it and returned it on the last night).

Have yet to go on Princess, but all our other cruise lines used always did a check before going on board.
According To Holland Americas web site
Guests can bring wine and/or champagne on board at embarkation or purchased in port. A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the shipboard restaurants or bars for consumption. Wine and/or champagne brought on board cannot be consumed in any public venue. If a guest is drinking a beverage carried on board and in a public venue they will be asked to return it to their stateroom.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #31

I forgot I was able to carry a bottle of 5 y/o anejo tequila back onto the ship in Cozumel during our Carnival cruise. It had some corrugate wrapped around it and it was in a bag. As we came back onto the ship, I set the bag on the scanner belt and the guy on the other side handed it back to me.

I expected them to take it and return it on the last night but they didn't. I didn't want to open it on the cruise. It's the good stuff and needs to be enjoyed with good friends! DH doesn't care much for tequila but he was a good sport at the tequila "diorama" and did a little tasting.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

On my recent (January 2012) cruise I used to take a walk around the decks a couple of times a day. There was a "smoking" bar on the route. Every single time I went by there was a middleaged woman drinking and smoking there. She appeared to have poor circulation and breathing and looked a little blue from lack of oxygen. Other than the sea view, I wonder what she got out of her cruise that she couldn't have had at home. Sad, really.....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
On my recent (January 2012) cruise I used to take a walk around the decks a couple of times a day. There was a "smoking" bar on the route. Every single time I went by there was a middleaged woman drinking and smoking there. She appeared to have poor circulation and breathing and looked a little blue from lack of oxygen. Other than the sea view, I wonder what she got out of her cruise that she couldn't have had at home. Sad, really.....
She may have "had" to go with a group. Being a heavy smoker, her options for moving around the ship are very limited. I hate cigarettes. They have enslaved my mother, too.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I only cruise on all inclusive cruise lines. When you think of bloody mary before lunch, wine or beer at lunch, pre-dinner cocktails, wine at dinner, after dinner cocktails; it sure adds up.

It is so much nicer having it already included so you don't have to worry about whose round it is or signing chits all the time.

Marc
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
According To Holland Americas web site
Guests can bring wine and/or champagne on board at embarkation or purchased in port. A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the shipboard restaurants or bars for consumption.
This is fairly common. The main point to note is that they will usually take possession of the bottle, mark it with your cabin number, and will serve it to you in the dining room. If you don't finish the bottle, they will take it again to serve to you on another day.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I only cruise on all inclusive cruise lines. When you think of bloody mary before lunch, wine or beer at lunch, pre-dinner cocktails, wine at dinner, after dinner cocktails; it sure adds up.

It is so much nicer having it already included so you don't have to worry about whose round it is or signing chits all the time.

Marc
Wasn't that the attraction of the all-inclusive lines, "Drink all you want". And now the mass-market lines are digging into that turf. What is this world coming to ?

I suppose if there are people standing at attention, ready to get you a drink then it would be all too easy to "go overboard" on the alcohol. I suspect though that the quality of wine and other alcohol available on the all-inclusive lines is much better than the swill passed off on Carnival.

So whether you pay up front for an all-inclusive line or pay $50 or $60 a day it's way more than I would ever consume.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I watched a good Samaritan semi drunk nurse tend to a 40 something woman who vomited all over herself and passed out. I would have been tempted to roll her into the pool.
Did you get any photos ?

That's when you know you've had a really good vacation. When you vomit on yourself and pass out !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #38
Administrator

This thread so reminds me of a recent concert. We sat on the lawn, where people typically picnic before the show. Alongside sat a women, alone, and before the show she drank an entire bottle of wine. She fell asleep (or passed out) and slept through 2 1/2 hours of amazing Carlos Santana.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This thread so reminds me of a recent concert. We sat on the lawn, where people typically picnic before the show. Alongside sat a women, alone, and before the show she drank an entire bottle of wine. She fell asleep (or passed out) and slept through 2 1/2 hours of amazing Carlos Santana.
At least she didn't talk through the entire show...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote