Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2022, 04:59 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We also pay off my credit cards before a long trip.

Because we were traveling often internationally we had the postpaid T-Mobile plan that supported text and calling internationally, receiving from US free. I have had to occasionally execute a 2FA overseas and it worked. Depending on how often you travel internationally, you might want to have your regular cell number supported internationally instead of using a foreign SIM card which has a different number.

I have also used my cell data connection to access financial accounts overseas from my laptop using the cellphone hotspot capability. May be a little slow at times, but it works fine. If we’re on a long trip I do need to access financial accounts occasionally.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2022, 05:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Depending on how often you travel internationally, you might want to have your regular cell number supported internationally instead of using a foreign SIM card which has a different number.
More and more phones are supporting dual SIMs and/or e-SIMs now, so this should become much easier as time goes by.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:02 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
More and more phones are supporting dual SIMs and/or e-SIMs now, so this should become much easier as time goes by.
I haven’t needed a foreign number, but DB who lives overseas but works all over the world carries two phone plans/numbers and really appreciates the dual SIM with both active at the same time. One of them is an e-SIM.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:32 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
+1

I do the same with all my CC accounts prior to every trip. If I know that I'm going to travel beyond one billing cycle and can't make on-line payment due to 2FA while overseas, I overpay my balance prior to the trip.

In general, I make a point of not logging into any of my financial accounts while traveling regardless of the 2FA issue. No reason to risk it when I am relying on hotel/public WiFi or foreign SIM card. I bring a few thousands in cash + one ATM card with just enough balance for trip expenses + a couple of CCs to fund my travel expenses. If the ATM card gets hacked, damage is limited. Any issues with CC, I can wait to sort them out when I get home.
I used to worry a bit about credit cards and other payments when out of the US for three weeks or more. But as I mentioned in a previous post to the thread, with Google Fi working in a lot of developed countries, the world is more seamless nowadays.

I pay off the BALANCE on my two credit cards twice a month using their respective apps, linked to my checking account, on my smartphone. So I did that on schedule in Indonesia a few months ago, no problem. They texted security codes to me which worked fine.

My Cap One Visa card sends a push notification to my phone whenever a charge goes through so that's fun in foreign countries: you see what you paid in USD for a purchase in the foreign currency a few seconds after the transaction...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
I used to worry a bit about credit cards and other payments when out of the US for three weeks or more. But as I mentioned in a previous post to the thread, with Google Fi working in a lot of developed countries, the world is more seamless nowadays.
I was accustomed to setting a travel notification on any cards I was planning to take on a trip. Some wanted to know every state and/or country I was going to visit, sometimes even down to the city.

But in recent years the need for that has diminished to the point that some of them have sent me notices that travel notifications are no longer necessary, no matter where I go.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:40 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I was accustomed to setting a travel notification on any cards I was planning to take on a trip. Some wanted to know every state and/or country I was going to visit, sometimes even down to the city.

But in recent years the need for that has diminished to the point that some of them have sent me notices that travel notifications are no longer necessary, no matter where I go.
Yes, my Cap One Visa is like that now.
But my AA MasterCard still wants advance notice of foreign travel.
And my credit union ATM/debit card DEFINITELY wants advance notice. It even cut me off in Canada a while back when I forgot...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

I do the same with all my CC accounts prior to every trip. If I know that I'm going to travel beyond one billing cycle and can't make on-line payment due to 2FA while overseas, I overpay my balance prior to the trip.
The other thing I do is use my bank's bill paying service to automatically send the minimum monthly payment each month to the credit cards I use most frequently.

This way, I may be dinged for interest, but never get the dreaded 'late payer' attached to my credit score.

I always inform my bank when I travel away from home. I need that ATM card to work as it's the cheapest way to get cash in a foreign country. Granted the need for cash is not that great, but I have stayed at family run hotels and eaten at small restaurants that still offer a discount for payments in cash.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yep, same here.

Costco VISA only wants to know my travel dates, not locations. Fidelity VISA all the details, but that’s only domestic travel. I don’t use it internationally.

Everyone else says don’t bother!

ATM cards however I make sure they are notified of upcoming international travel.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:48 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... In general, I make a point of not logging into any of my financial accounts while traveling regardless of the 2FA issue. No reason to risk it when I am relying on hotel/public WiFi or foreign SIM card. ...
Pretty much the same here. I can see that living outside the US might be problematic, but we've been vacation travelers to something over 40 countries and never once have I had a need to access any of our financial institutions. Good thing, too, as I also have a policy of never putting any financial apps or contact information on the devices we travel with; cell phone and small tablet. Probably 2FA would work on our Google Fi phones, but I'll never know.

As far as cards, we carry two debit cards from two different banks and two Visa/Master cards from two different issuers. No Amex or Discover as those are often refused/useless outside the US.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:09 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
Yes, my Cap One Visa is like that now.
But my AA MasterCard still wants advance notice of foreign travel.
And my credit union ATM/debit card DEFINITELY wants advance notice. It even cut me off in Canada a while back when I forgot...
In practice, I found that the Capital One CC (QuickSilver MasterCard) is not a very good international travel card. It is fine for in person transactions that can utilize the security chip, but fails for online transactions that rely on 2FA to a domestic phone number. Important transactions that need to be done online, like booking hotel rooms or flights is not possible.

A few months ago I called Capital One the day before traveling to ask how to get around this 2FA restriction and the rep told me that their smartphone app could be used instead of receiving SMS codes and they would send a link to the steps to configure after we ended the call. The support rep just sent a generic link on how to setup various transaction notifications. A few days later while traveling I needed to change a subsequent air flight booking that I had originally charged to my Capital One card, and I could not get around this 2FA to complete the transaction. Had to use another card.

Early next year I will be looking for a new CC to replace Capital One. Even though it is an extra step to configure a travel notification, I have found that systems which require that step to be more reliable.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote