Alternate travel buddy

jambo101

Full time employment: Posting here.
My 23yr old daughter and her friend have been planning for the last year an extensive trip to Europe this summer, its now getting time to book flights and make hotel reservations but my daughters friend is now having second thoughts about committing to the trip and its looking like she will back out.
My daughter is not too keen on doing this trip alone and is really disappointed at the prospect of the trip not happening or having to do it alone.
Is there some website she can use to find an alternate traveling buddy?And or if she does have to do it alone perhaps a website on safety recommendations for a 23yr old woman traveling alone in Europe.
Thanks.

Why is her friend backing out?
Perhaps, if you discover that it's because of the cost, a subsidy from jambo101 for the entire expedition might put things back on track.

I think when they both thought up the idea a year ago it sounded good and my daughter really got interested in the trip whereas the other girl may have just thought it to be a good idea at the time and now its time maybe she doesnt think its a good idea or she just doesnt have the time to do it..
Money is definitely not the problem..

Why is her friend backing out?
Perhaps, if you discover that it's because of the cost, a subsidy from jambo101 for the entire expedition might put things back on track.

I could use s travel subsidy as well.

Unfortunate. For many people this would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

When I w*rked, a boss I had a lot of respect for said that most people will agree to just about anything if you ask them far enough in advance.

Check with the local university. There may be a girl or a small group that will welcome her to join them. She may have to, of course, adjust her plans to meld with the group.

Our 21-year old son is headed over in late May for about 3 weeks with one (maybe 2) of his buddies. They are good kids but I fear what they want to see (mostly centered around soccer) wouldn't mesh with your daughter.

I second the idea to try a local college or university as seniors like DS often take advantage of the time after graduation and before work or grad school to make a trip like this.

I once found a good travel partner using the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forums above -- she (French girl) did not want to go to Burma alone and I was going to be going there and we had a great time. We are still good friends.

And it does not have to be a partner for the whole trip, just some key parts, perhaps

Another valuable way to meet locals and travel partners is through couchsurfing.org. She should definitely get a profile up quickly. You can meet locals in various cities this way. I have done this many times.

And it almost goes without saying that staying in hostels instead of hotels is a good way to meet folks on the road.

Back
Top Bottom