Join Early Retirement Today

American Airlines wants $800+$25 for 2 seats together
Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

American Airlines wants $800+$25 for 2 seats together

I just paid $800 for two domestic tickets for my wife and I on American. I go to pick out the seats and although there are many open seats, there is not a single set of two coach seats together on the entire plane, except for those that cost $25 per flight. I would be happy sitting together even if we were at the back of the plane, but appparently $800 doesn't cover sitting next to your spouse!

With policies like this, I hope American moves from chapter 11 to chapter 7.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #2

I can see the logic being used by the bean counters at the airline. The request takes an actual human a couple of minutes to change around seat assignments in the system, and that prob. costs $5-10 in labor cost with overhead. That being said, It's real chicken-s..t. I would like to see an AMR corp. officer face a family flying together and defend the charges for this.

Service kind of like this
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #3

Doesn't take an employee to do anything - this is seat selection over the web - totally automated.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are the $25 seats in their "premium economy section", or whatever American calls it? This is where you get a bit more legroom, usually in rows towards the front of the plane?

In that case, you're paying the $25 for the legroom, not to sit together.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #5

These are not Economy Plus seats that have more legroom. They are just seats that AA has decided to charge more for. I would take a window and a center in the back of the plane but the only options for that are +$25.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

There has been discussion for a while across the web of airlines bringing in new charges. Window seats, aisle seats, etc. There was even one article about charging for water...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #7

I ran into a similar problem with Delta. I paid for my ticket and I went to select a seat and only premium seats were left so I had to pay extra just to get a seat. I did get to board in zone 1 and the seat seemed to have enough room.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Administrator

Sounds like they are moving towards a no-frills airline like we have in Yorkshire.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
These are not Economy Plus seats that have more legroom. They are just seats that AA has decided to charge more for. I would take a window and a center in the back of the plane but the only options for that are +$25.
Interesting. I suppose they are saying the window seat is worth $25 extra.

I can see why the airlines are doing this, but it's certainly annoying, when previously all seats were the same price.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If it were me, DW would probably sign off on a strategic plan to save the $25. Such as book 2 window seats or an aisle and a window, with whatever seats you pick located near each other. Worst case you are talking with your DW over your shoulder or across the lap of another passenger(s). Best case, you can get a center seat passenger to switch with you or your DW and take your more premium aisle or window seat.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that. It's almost like the airlines are trying to come up with ways to make flying even more unpleasant.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
I just paid $800 for two domestic tickets for my wife and I on American. I go to pick out the seats and although there are many open seats, there is not a single set of two coach seats together on the entire plane, except for those that cost $25 per flight. I would be happy sitting together even if we were at the back of the plane, but appparently $800 doesn't cover sitting next to your spouse!

With policies like this, I hope American moves from chapter 11 to chapter 7.
We had the same problem, except that there was only a single coach seat free on the entire plane. We left our seats "unassigned" and checked in as early as we could the day prior to our flight. Miraculously they found coach seats for us both. I figured it was some kind of scam to try to get us to buy premium seats.

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

As much as I love my DH I wouldn't pay a premium for us to sit together. We are both on the same aircraft and I might even enjoy a few hours of quiet or talking to someone new. He needs an isle seat, I can sit anywhere.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm one of those folks that would pay $25 to avoid a middle seat on a long flight. The airlines know that, so I guess I helped cause this problem.

Maybe it would help if you just thought of the situation in the reverse. Say you'd gone to the site and the tickets were $825 and you could get seats together. But, they also offered you a discount of $25 on one seat if you'd sit apart. Would that seem like a more palatable way of presenting the choice? It's the same thing.

Anyway, you can pay the $25 and earn points for being a romantic. Or you can save the $25 and you'll both get the chance to meet new people. Maybe chatty ones. With poor hygiene. Your choice.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #15

Air Canada's motto is "we're not happy 'till you're not happy".
Old 08-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #16

Flying to Europe next week on United and booked my seats online yesterday. Maybe you could try booking the seats online next time....
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

In many cases a third of the seats may be blocked until 24 hours before the flight.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Flying to Europe next week on United and booked my seats online yesterday. Maybe you could try booking the seats online next time....
Pretty sure from the above posts that he did book the flight and chose the seats online already. The $25 seat-selection charges for I think both aisle and window seats apply regardless.

I think there might be different policies and charges for overseas flights--for example, you can still check one bag on American Airlines' flights to Europe, etc., without paying a fee for it.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #19

I love Southwest! They have some new charges for early check in, but beyond that you pay for a seat and you get a seat. You want to sit next to your spouse, check in early. A lot of people don't like the open seating, but I prefer it to the games the other airlines play, not to mention the money they charge.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

DW likes the middle seat so it works out.

Don't forget American's per bag charge. We are debating on taking one bag and doing lots of laundry at the parents' or two and paying extra.