American Airlines wants $800+$25 for 2 seats together

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just paid $800 for two domestic tickets for my wife and I on American. I go to pick out the seats and although there are many open seats, there is not a single set of two coach seats together on the entire plane, except for those that cost $25 per flight. I would be happy sitting together even if we were at the back of the plane, but appparently $800 doesn't cover sitting next to your spouse!

With policies like this, I hope American moves from chapter 11 to chapter 7.

I can see the logic being used by the bean counters at the airline. The request takes an actual human a couple of minutes to change around seat assignments in the system, and that prob. costs $5-10 in labor cost with overhead. That being said, It's real chicken-s..t. I would like to see an AMR corp. officer face a family flying together and defend the charges for this.

Service kind of like this

Last edited:
Doesn't take an employee to do anything - this is seat selection over the web - totally automated.

Are the $25 seats in their "premium economy section", or whatever American calls it? This is where you get a bit more legroom, usually in rows towards the front of the plane?

In that case, you're paying the $25 for the legroom, not to sit together.

These are not Economy Plus seats that have more legroom. They are just seats that AA has decided to charge more for. I would take a window and a center in the back of the plane but the only options for that are +$25.

There has been discussion for a while across the web of airlines bringing in new charges. Window seats, aisle seats, etc. There was even one article about charging for water...

I ran into a similar problem with Delta. I paid for my ticket and I went to select a seat and only premium seats were left so I had to pay extra just to get a seat. I did get to board in zone 1 and the seat seemed to have enough room.

These are not Economy Plus seats that have more legroom. They are just seats that AA has decided to charge more for. I would take a window and a center in the back of the plane but the only options for that are +$25.

Interesting. I suppose they are saying the window seat is worth $25 extra.

I can see why the airlines are doing this, but it's certainly annoying, when previously all seats were the same price.

If it were me, DW would probably sign off on a strategic plan to save the $25. Such as book 2 window seats or an aisle and a window, with whatever seats you pick located near each other. Worst case you are talking with your DW over your shoulder or across the lap of another passenger(s). Best case, you can get a center seat passenger to switch with you or your DW and take your more premium aisle or window seat.

Sorry to hear that. It's almost like the airlines are trying to come up with ways to make flying even more unpleasant.

soupcxan said:
I just paid $800 for two domestic tickets for my wife and I on American. I go to pick out the seats and although there are many open seats, there is not a single set of two coach seats together on the entire plane, except for those that cost $25 per flight. I would be happy sitting together even if we were at the back of the plane, but appparently $800 doesn't cover sitting next to your spouse!

With policies like this, I hope American moves from chapter 11 to chapter 7.

We had the same problem, except that there was only a single coach seat free on the entire plane. We left our seats "unassigned" and checked in as early as we could the day prior to our flight. Miraculously they found coach seats for us both. I figured it was some kind of scam to try to get us to buy premium seats.

SIS

As much as I love my DH I wouldn't pay a premium for us to sit together. We are both on the same aircraft and I might even enjoy a few hours of quiet or talking to someone new. He needs an isle seat, I can sit anywhere.

I'm one of those folks that would pay $25 to avoid a middle seat on a long flight. The airlines know that, so I guess I helped cause this problem.

Maybe it would help if you just thought of the situation in the reverse. Say you'd gone to the site and the tickets were $825 and you could get seats together. But, they also offered you a discount of $25 on one seat if you'd sit apart. Would that seem like a more palatable way of presenting the choice? It's the same thing.

Anyway, you can pay the $25 and earn points for being a romantic. Or you can save the $25 and you'll both get the chance to meet new people. Maybe chatty ones. With poor hygiene. Your choice.

Last edited:
Flying to Europe next week on United and booked my seats online yesterday. Maybe you could try booking the seats online next time....

In many cases a third of the seats may be blocked until 24 hours before the flight.

Flying to Europe next week on United and booked my seats online yesterday. Maybe you could try booking the seats online next time....

Pretty sure from the above posts that he did book the flight and chose the seats online already. The $25 seat-selection charges for I think both aisle and window seats apply regardless.

I think there might be different policies and charges for overseas flights--for example, you can still check one bag on American Airlines' flights to Europe, etc., without paying a fee for it.

I love Southwest! They have some new charges for early check in, but beyond that you pay for a seat and you get a seat. You want to sit next to your spouse, check in early. A lot of people don't like the open seating, but I prefer it to the games the other airlines play, not to mention the money they charge.

DW likes the middle seat so it works out.

Don't forget American's per bag charge. We are debating on taking one bag and doing lots of laundry at the parents' or two and paying extra.

One of the things that most people do not know is that even if you have an assigned seat, you might not get on the plane...

There was one time that I flew on the day before Thanksgiving... I did not have a seat assignment... while waiting for boarding, it was easy to see that the flight was WAY overbooked... one guy asked me if I had an assigned seat... I said 'no, but I will get on the plane'... he thought he was safe as he did have an assigned seat...

Forward 15 or so minutes and he is called to the counter and told he was being bumped... I got my seat (not his, but got one anyhow)... He asked me how I knew I was getting a seat and I said 'full fare ticket'... my ticket cost $950, his was about $300... they do not bump the people who buy full fare... (PS... it was paid for by my company, I would not have bought it myself)..

If it was me, I'd take the best 2 "free" seats available. Call the airlines right after the 24 hour mark and try to change your seats when they release ones saved for frequent fliers. If you're still not able to get seats together, get to the airport early and try again. They release some seats (such as bulkhead seats) some time closer to the flight time. Used to be a travel agent and this is what I recommended to clients.

I love Southwest! They have some new charges for early check in, but beyond that you pay for a seat and you get a seat. You want to sit next to your spouse, check in early. A lot of people don't like the open seating, but I prefer it to the games the other airlines play, not to mention the money they charge.

I also like Southwest .It's $10 for early bird seating which allows you to pick the best seats plus no luggage fee.

I posted this over at flyertalk and one of the responses was basically "only those with platinum status deserve that kind of special treatment" which amazed me. I should have to fly 100,000 miles in 12 months just to get two coach seats together? Really? It shows how low the expectations for American Airlines have sunk.

I'm at the point with flying. Get us to point A to B without killing us or making us wait too long. They are pretty good about not killing us and, not so bad without making us wait too long. Im sure my wife is fine without sitting next to me for 5 hrs.

haha..hey wait

But really they need to raise fares , but cant because people wont pay the fares. So they nickle and dime you which apparently studies have shown people accept that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom