American Cruise Lines

bigrand32

Confused about dryer sheets
Good morning,
Has anybody taken the Mississippi River cruise on American Cruise Lines? If so, comments, suggestions and what about tipping?
Thanks.....r j

Also interested in responses, this is something we have thought about doing.

American just started building 12 new ships. They've also had a couple delivered in the past couple of years, AND they're doing a major renovation on their four paddlewheelers.

I can only assume either business is very good, or they're very well-capitalized, or both. Not making any stock recommendations here, but if I had to guess I'd say they're probably outperforming their industry.

Interesting to note that they run Jones-act routes using US-built ships and US crew. The big cruise companies have tried that in the past but have not usually been successful. I think NCL still has one ship out of Hawaii, but their plans for more (including refurbishing the SS United States) fell through.

I see the ACL ships all up and down the East coast. I think I'd enjoy cruising on them.

Minor detail, the Jones Act is for cargo. The PVSA (passenger Vessel Services Act) is the one that effects cruise lines.
NCL has one ship American flagged, but has a hard time getting Americans to work on it.
ACL is more expensive on a per diem basis because they have American crews.

We’re taking the Mississippi River cruise with American Cruise Lines in May. If anyone has an experience to share, please do.

When we took a European river cruise, I wondered if Europeans would take it. Everyone I met was from North America.

Now that I see the Mississippi cruises, I understand (for me) I would not do one of these as I feel so comfortable just driving to see something. I guess Europeans are the same in Europe.

For less money per day I can cruise in Europe, although with Covid that is too much trouble these days.

Back
Top Bottom