Join Early Retirement Today

Any experience with the Auto train?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any experience with the Auto train?

We are coming up to the USA for a bit in the summer. Basically fly into Florida and then up to NYC and back before returning to Peru. We have plenty of time but really do not want to drive up and back. Anybody have experience with the auto train between Washington and Orlando? We will rent a car in Florida to take with us for the trip back. Is there anything to do on the train. I know they used to have an "Observation car" but heard that is long gone.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ida-89415.html
Old 03-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Why would you not rent a car in FL, then return it, and fly or train to NY, and rent a car there which you return there before going back to FL (or drive back to FL and hand in the NY car in FL) ?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Thank you for that and my apologies for not searching beforehand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Why would you not rent a car in FL, then return it, and fly or train to NY, and rent a car there which you return there before going back to FL (or drive back to FL and hand in the NY car in FL) ?
Numerous reasons for me although "all options are on the table"!

My top 5 reasons are:
5. Getting to and waiting in airports especially with "mucho" luggage and young children.
4. Need a car the entire time, and it is cheaper to rent for longer periods and my aggregator (European based) will include full insurance coverage at little cost and my car company in FL will give me an Audi Q7, which my wife and kids adore.
3. One way rental is about $300 more.
2. Need to stop in Virginia (at some point) to visit the illegal relatives and the auto train is nearby, plus we can leave the car with them and train it into DC for a few days of sightseeing.
1. It will make my young wife happy!

I was hoping to find out fun things to do on the train as they do not have TV's. They do have wifi but it cannot stream. We looked at the stateroom option but it is $900 more for a closet to sleep in.

From our trip up a few weeks ago, I have learned that any car trips of more than 30-45 mins will result in all passengers other than myself sleeping for hours on end.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Synchronicity. I am leaving St Pete’s in a couple of hours to drive up to Sanford and catch the auto train home. We came down in business class seats and popped for a room for today’s trip. DW has RLS and couldn’t sleep comfortably in the seat. I will try to remember to report back tomorrow on the room.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I am reporting from the Auto Train in the morning. The room was excellent. We will pop for one if we take the train in the future.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I am reporting from the Auto Train in the morning. The room was excellent. We will pop for one if we take the train in the future.
Sorry, missed your post. Thanks for the heads up!