Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Nemo..are you by chance referring to a bar, Larry’s Hideaway that used to be near or around Alan Gardens. Years ago we would walk or cycle by that area on the way to U of T or to Sick Kids. We lived in Cabbagetown for three years.

Never went in but one could not miss the neon sign.
No...this fellow, long since passed I would imagine, was actually named Larry - the hotel, the name of which I never knew, was right on Jarvis St.

Lot of dives around there......I picked up Bo Diddley, (they were trying to get him to endorse a guitar), and took him out to the showroom one time - (he was a regular at Le Coq d'Or) , and the entire band were staying in adjoining rooms in a low end hotel....the girls, (I got to meet Cookie), were frying chicken in their room.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #202
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
No...this fellow, long since passed I would imagine, was actually named Larry - the hotel, the name of which I never knew, was right on Jarvis St.

Lot of dives around there......I picked up Bo Diddley, (they were trying to get him to endorse a guitar), and took him out to the showroom one time - (he was a regular at Le Coq d'Or) , and the entire band were staying in adjoining rooms in a low end hotel....the girls, (I got to meet Cookie), were frying chicken in their room.
Bo Diddley? Wow, what an amazing life you have led. Bo Diddley was iconic back in the day, even if the word "iconic" was not used much back then. OK, I simply have to post this for those ER wannabes half a century younger than us who never heard of him (if there are any that young, here).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Diddley

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

And here's Cookie...sadly she came to a bad end I heard.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:27 AM   #204
Give me a forum ...

We fly to Gold Coast, Australia in a few days (from Thailand). We have plans to visit Tasmania for eight days. We just hope that the weather cools down and the fires are abated prior to our trip.

One month in Australia and then home via Hawaii for a few days. With any luck the deep freee at home will be over by then and most of the snow will have melted.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:28 AM   #205
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished a conference last week and now enjoying a cup of coffee overlooking the ocean in Costa Rica. Life is good!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #206
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I looked, and there has not been a new thread on this popular topic for 2019. So I am starting one.

I just booked flight for a Spring trip to Spain and Portugal. The duration will be a bit more than 5 weeks. The time is mid April to mid May.

We have been to Spain before, but this time will visit some new places in addition to going to Portugal and the Basque region, the latter two we have not visited.

Flight to Barcelona is cheapest, so that's our flight to/from destination. Will pick up a car to drive to Andorra, then cross the Pyrenees and visit Toulouse, France. After that, will continue on a counterclockwise direction to San Sebastian, Bilbao, Oviedo, A Coruna, before arriving in Portugal. Cities to visit in Portugal are Porto, Coimbra, and Lisbon.

The return to Barcelona from Lisbon includes stops in Cordoba, Granada, Cartagena, and Castellon. We have been to Seville and Valencia, so will skip these.

Most driving legs are of less than 300 km (190 mi), and the stays at each city range from 2 to 4 nights. So, the driving should not be too bad, even though the total distance will be around 2,000 mi.
yes, we have travel plans for Rome and Greece. Land and Cruise. We are Air B & B-ing it in Rome. Greece portion is a 9 day cruise. WE will stay in Vatican City while in Rome and take public transportation. WE are fine just being tourists and soaking up all of the ruins and cathedrals.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We are in Thailand at the moment. Our fifth winter here.

Each year we seem to see more and more older North American men parading their much younger Thai brides or live ins about as if it is some sort of prize. Many of them clearly do not know what the score is...especially the ones that appear to be with bar girls or ex bar girls. Oftentimes the women appear so disinterested. Sad really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm unclear what you mean.
I could guess you mean, the girls are there only for the money ?
Or that there is a longer game going on, that the men will later be obligated under some penalty to pay huge sums for some reason. ?

Money can't buy true love, but it buys some sex and companionship.

I'll give you all I got to give if you say you'll love me too
I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you
I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephieJean View Post
... WE are fine just being tourists and soaking up all of the ruins and cathedrals.
We are tourists too - can't help it when we stick out like a sore thumb wherever we go. But I try to be more like a traveler and go to some additional places not so crowded after visiting the main drag.

Been fleshing out my itinerary. Cut back time in Toulouse to add a stay in Albi. Delete A Coruna, and add Santiago de Compostela.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #209
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
add a stay in Albi.
I think you'll enjoy Albi.....population's only ~50K....amd there's some good stuff to see.

(That said, we didn't get tired of Toulouse.)

Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #210
Give me a forum ...

That's good to know.

Instead of 2 nights in Andorra + 3 nights in Toulouse, I will do 1 in Andorra, and 2 each in Toulouse and Albi. I like to stop in Andorra just to look around, as the chance of me being there again is slim, and also to break up the drive to make it more relaxing.

PS. Already booked Airbnb in Albi and Toulouse, both with private parking and in walking distance to the town centers. In Andorra, I found a 3-star hotel right on the main drag for less than $30. Must be the shoulder season in April.

PPS. I do not even drive directly from Barcelona to Andorra which is not that far away, but make a 1-night stop in a small midway Spanish town. Yes, my goal is to travel slow.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Instead of 2 nights in Andorra + 3 nights in Toulouse, I will do 1 in Andorra, and 2 each in Toulouse and Albi. I like to stop in Andorra just to look around, as the chance of me being there again is slim, and also to break up the drive to make it more relaxing.
We 'did' Albi in a day; for us one night there would have been more than sufficient.

Toulouse, we stayed ten days, with a couple side day trips, (one of which was Albi), didn't tire of it. (We lived about a 7 minute walk from the train station...bought our tickets the day before, caught the early train and were almost alone on the streets when we started exploring.)

Andorra...never been...heard it was nothing more than an electronics, etc, store. Girona, perhaps on your way there from Barcelona, is quite nice.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #212
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We returned last week from a lovely trip to Key West, we had an awesome, warm time. Right now I have only two trips planned. In July I am going with my DIL and two granddaughters to a dance competition in Sandusky, Ohio (!!). In December, I am going with my son's family to the Walt Disney World to see the decorations, ride the rides, and see the fireworks.

Up in the air....we are in Iowa, so will we make it to spring without another warm weather getaway??
Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We 'did' Albi in a day; for us one night there would have been more than sufficient.

Toulouse, we stayed ten days, with a couple side day trips, (one of which was Albi), didn't tire of it. (We lived about a 7 minute walk from the train station...bought our tickets the day before, caught the early train and were almost alone on the streets when we started exploring.)

Andorra...never been...heard it was nothing more than an electronics, etc, store. Girona, perhaps on your way there from Barcelona, is quite nice.
The drive from Andorra to Albi may be 4 hours, hence I like to stay an extra night. The next day I will do a short day trip to Cordes-sur-Ciel, a French hill town. Toulouse is such a short drive from Albi, so we will have almost 2 full days there in Toulouse after Albi.

Girona is not really on the way, so I will have to miss it.

Andorra may be boring, but I like to spend the night, walk the stores without buying anything to be able to say I have been there. If we get bored too quickly, may drive a bit out of town to take a hike, as the countryside is hilly and should be green in early spring.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
a short day trip to Cordes-sur-Ciel
Not having a vehicle we had to give this one a pass, although we really would have liked to visit it......trying to get there by bus/train was a real PITA at the time so we let it slide.

Enjoy...and post pics!!

Old 02-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #215
Give me a forum ...

All this talk about travel in France makes me want to post a French song. This is one I listened to in my early teens. The song writer/singer was Françoise Hardy, still alive and 75-year-old.

Le Temps de l'Amour / The Time of Love

C'est le temps de l'amour / It's the time of love
Le temps des copains / Time of friendship
Et de l'aventure / And of adventure
Quand le temps va et vient / When the time comes and goes
On ne pense à rien / One thinks of nothing
Malgré ses blessures / Despite his wounds
Car le temps de l'amour / For the time of love
C'est long et c'est court / It's long and also short
Ça dure toujours / It lasts forever
On s'en souvient / One remembers it

Old 02-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #216
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Starting our drive to Florida today. Not looking forward to 25 hours of driving but someone has to haul all the grand kids crap down.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #217
Recycles dryer sheets

Leave in 2 weeks for a cruise from buenos aires up to rio for carnavale. Have tickets for the sambodrome.
Each year I said that I was going, this year it happens.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Continue to flesh out the Spain-Portugal trip coming up in two months. I need to make up my mind on the lodgings.

Yesterday, I added an Airbnb for Granada and a hotel in San Sebastian to the "done" list.

Today, finally made up my mind on a hotel in Cordoba, and another hotel in Bilbao.

Cordoba was a tough one, and I spent a lot of time surfing the Web on this. The town center is small and the streets very narrow. A car is a liability, and it is not easy finding a place to park it not too far from the hotel. And we want to stay in the town center to enjoy the lively atmosphere.

In working on Oviedo, I decided to stay near Aviles and make day trip to Oviedo instead. Aviles is less crowded for a change in scenery, and closer to the Atlantic coast for some additional sightseeing.

Still have to book for Santiago, Porto, Coimbra, Lisbon, Cartagena, and Barcelona. There's a good chance of finding Airbnb's at these places for these longer stays of 3 and 4 days each.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #219
Give me a forum ...

I have always wanted to visit Asturias, the Northern region of Spain, ever since I listened to the classical guitar piece of the name, called "Asturias (Leyenda)".

Perversely, the piece is said to be not representative of the folk music of Asturias, but rather of the Southern Andalusia region. And it was originally written for a piano! Yet, it sounds so much better on a guitar.

Here's a wonderful rendition by a talented Croatian guitarist.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #220
Give me a forum ...

And I will also get to visit the palace of Alhambra in Granada, which is celebrated in the guitar piece called "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" (Memories of Alhambra).

And again, it's the music that inspired me to visit this locale.

Here's the same guitarist, although all classical guitarists have played these famous pieces.

Closed Thread