Any Travel Plan for 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.5 weeks in France and Belgium in May (cider tasting in Normandy and farmhouse beers in Belgium). I found cheap tickets on Icelandair so we're doing a 2 day stopover in Iceland on the way.

We also have a shorter trip to Arizona in February to visit family and see get some sunshine.

A week in June to mosquito laden, remote Alaska for the annual fishing trip and then a ten day trip to Namibia. My first time to Africa!

10 days in Japan, 4 days riding motorcycles in Az, a week getting oldest son a place to live for summer intern, a week military reunion, 4 days motorcycle riding in UT, Sturgis week, 3-4 weeks ArBnb Hilton head and Florida, 5 day cruise Mexico. Will fill in a few more weeks as things come up.

I looked, and there has not been a new thread on this popular topic for 2019. So I am starting one.

I just booked flight for a Spring trip to Spain and Portugal. The duration will be a bit more than 5 weeks. The time is mid April to mid May.

We have been to Spain before, but this time will visit some new places in addition to going to Portugal and the Basque region, the latter two we have not visited.

Flight to Barcelona is cheapest, so that's our flight to/from destination. Will pick up a car to drive to Andorra, then cross the Pyrenees and visit Toulouse, France. After that, will continue on a counterclockwise direction to San Sebastian, Bilbao, Oviedo, A Coruna, before arriving in Portugal. Cities to visit in Portugal are Porto, Coimbra, and Lisbon.

The return to Barcelona from Lisbon includes stops in Cordoba, Granada, Cartagena, and Castellon. We have been to Seville and Valencia, so will skip these.

Most driving legs are of less than 300 km (190 mi), and the stays at each city range from 2 to 4 nights. So, the driving should not be too bad, even though the total distance will be around 2,000 mi.

Spain and Portugal combined are larger than many people imagine. That's a lot of stops.

We're always looking for an airline to take on a new destination, and this year it's Boston to Madrid that is offering cheap flights. Visiting Toledo on a day trip.

We'll take a train down to Granada. Then fly over to Barcelona and take a fast train to Paris a few days later.

We've given up having relatives take care of 7 year old granddaughter, Brynley. We're just taking her with us the day school is out, and she'll be a very well traveled gal. She especially wants to see the Eiffel Tower.

22 days in September-October.
Business-class flights on BA.
Bologna, Venezia, Piran, Ljubljana, Wien.
Trains for us. Except for GoOpti shuttle from Trieste to Piran.
AirBnBs for us. Need the washing machines to pack light.

A far cry from our 2010 Botswana accommodation: :LOL:

nbyu8m.jpg

"Exit, pursued by a bear."

Or "Enter, pursued by a lion!"

We are taking a 11 day vacation in February that includes a 8 day Caribbean cruise. We spend 3 days in New Orleans before.

Our big adventure is another self-contained bicycle trip from Venice to Paris beginning in April...

That's some serious biking, around 1,200 km! What's self-contained? Does that mean you pack everything on the bike?

My niece and her husband did a bike trip from Budapest to Berlin a few years ago. It was perhaps 900 km. They took a month for the trip, taking time off-work without pay. We have wanderlust in our DNA.

Spain and Portugal combined are larger than many people imagine. That's a lot of stops.

Yes. The Iberian Peninsula is about as large as France. We are not going through the center this time, because we have been to Madrid, Toledo, and Segovia.

I thought about going to Gibraltar, Malaga, and perhaps to Tangier, but would need another week. I decided that the trip would be long enough without these.

We're visiting Oahu, Maui and Hawaii in February. In June we will be cruising from Vancouver to Seward then splitting a week between Denali and Kenai.

Our big adventure is another self-contained bicycle trip from Venice to Paris beginning in April. We will also be going to Yellowstone in August for a reunion of summer workers from the late 60s. Then Door County, WI in October.

Do you speak Waaascansen?

If you go to Malaga I know a great hospital! :LOL:

Indeed, when I saw Malaga on the map, I thought of your story.

If I have an emergency, will try to hold it while I try to get there. At the hospital, if I show them your photo (taken from this forum) and say that I am your friend, will the nurses treat me more kindly?

Or will they turn me away? "Entrada prohibida!".

Indeed, when I saw Malaga on the map, I thought of your story.

If I have an emergency, will try to hold it while I try to get there. At the hospital, if I show them your photo (taken from this forum) and say that I am your friend, will the nurses treat me more kindly?

Or will they turn me away? "Entrada prohibida!".

Just be careful of the 'Olive oil & bread' breakfasts. ;)

(The nurses, and the two female doctors, who attended to me were delightful.)

The driving in Spain isn't hard, but the long distance driving is no fun. It was much more taxing than the same distance in the US.

But as someone who is reluctant to get things on the calendar, I like to see so many plans in place.

The only one I am serious about is a Med cruise in October, but I still haven't called back with my credit card on that one.

Friends moved to Guayaquil, and intend to visit them soon, but only poked around on flights so far... nothing booked. Found a good Skiplagged for the return, but flying out of Charlotte is always higher than practically any comparably large airport.

We're visiting Oahu, Maui and Hawaii in February. In June we will be cruising from Vancouver to Seward then splitting a week between Denali and Kenai.
We just got back from a Hawaiian cruise. Our story is attached.

Attachments

• HAWAIIAN CRUISE 2018.pdf
    681.6 KB · Views: 42
We've been in Auckland, NZ for the past month. Leaving next Monday for 6 weeks in Morocco - visiting Tangier, Fez. Then on to Marseille, Tuscany perhaps Croatia. Back home in the U.S. at the end of May.

On to Mexico in late August.

Spending two weeks in May near Las Vegas, a trip to China in April, and Hawaii in June. Hoping to squeeze an Alaska cruise in somewhere too. Haven't traveled much in the last couple of years so I'm making up for lost time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom