Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Well if you put in say $5000 of coverage, the premium is into the hundreds, right?
It runs roughly 10% for good coverage. Our latest was for an $11000 cruise (blow that dough), and the premium was about $900
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #562
Recycles dryer sheets

The first time we ever bought insurance, we used it . We'd booked a lodge to lodge hiking trip in southwest Oregon, and a nearby area was hit by forest fires. My DH has asthma so we didn't want to get stuck out on the trail when smoke rolled in. Got all our money back. Used it in May, too, when DH got pneumonia in England after our 56 mile Cotswold walk.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #563
Dryer sheet aficionado

Some good discussion on travel and travel medical insurance. As we begin to travel more, I guess it's something I need to do some research on.

We are planning a couple weeks in Scotland starting the end of Sept and into October. We're probably going to drive the "North Coast 500" route and will also have 5 or 6 days to spend elsewhere. Haven't driven on the "wrong" side of the road in 30 years so that will be a challenge.

Our last joint Europe trip was a lot of fun, but a couple years ago. I'm hoping we can get a good travel/packing system down on this one. GF is pretty well set in that area from a trip she made last year (over a month with just a carry on size bag that she could carry on her back). I need to figure out what must be taken and what can be left-- then how to schlep it around. We hope to be pretty mobile and possibly to avoid checking bags while our health and physical condition still allows.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #564
Administrator

Our MediGap Supplemental gives us emergency coverage outside the US. We charge all our travel using a new credit card that provides travel insurance. Last year, without any insurance, we had a bad experience with American Airlines which cost us over $1k, and that convinced me of the benefit of travel insurance - reasonably priced and comprehensive.

The only question I have is on emergency evacuation, as most of the policies require pre-authorization, and I imagine most emergency situations don’t allow for that.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #565

Audrey sorry to hear about your Dad. I don't think it's unfeeling at all...you'll look back on it when you're at the "delayed" trip and feel ok about things. I lost one of my best friends while I was on vacation last year...couldn't get back in time to help the spouse emotionally as I would have wanted...but did get back in time for the funeral and was able to support her there. Prayers go out to you and your Dad.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #566

For those of you going to Greece, would love to hear more when you get back...that's on our "short list" of international trips we'd like to take.

Wife and I have a bucket list item to see the NFL Oakland Raiders (will be Las Vegas Raiders next year) play in every NFL city. We've been to 24 cities so far. In 2 weeks we'll be seeing them play in Minneapolis. Next year is Atlanta and New York, then we have Dallas, Miami, Los Angeles, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, and maybe a couple others I can't recall right now. Really having fun doing this....should complete in 2024 in Tampa.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #567
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have the Chase Sapphire Preferred card which gives us some travel insurance. Have always figured on self insurance other then this card. Am I missing something?
Old 09-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #568

Heading to Las Vegas this weekend to do some night photography and catch some shows.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 AM   #569

I have a trip planned to Miami South Beach in mid October with two of my very good friends. Very excited!! We are close to the beach and will be able to walk to many fun things. I have been friends with these ladies for many years and I am looking forward to it.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:37 AM   #570
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
OK. Bought tickets for 5 to Hawaii with island hopping for October. Also booked Airbnbs. We took the children to Oahu when they were under 10, and now in their 30s, they do not remember much. They are pretty excited about this family trip.

Still debating whether to book the Panama Canal Cruise at the end of the year. That would make it 3 trips for ourselves this year. I dunno if that's too much. I am getting old.
We spent 10 days on Maui and one day on Oahu. We loved it - I highly recommended splurging on a helicopter ride. In 47 days we are of to the Panama Canal on a 12 day NCL crusie.
Our recent Ireland experience
Old 09-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #571

Our recent Ireland experience

Just back from nearly a month in Ireland. Since a few people asked me about it, I thought I’d post a brief summary.

We had booked an OAT tour, but since I noticed that it ignored the southeast of Ireland I decided to do our own tour of that region before the guided tour began. Flew into Dublin and rented a car, then drove to Waterford for the factory tour (and a couple of crystal baubles), then to Kilkenny. Loved Kilkenny and would have enjoyed more time there. Then on to Cobh (last Titanic port of call) and then Cork. Cork and surroundings were fun and we included a visit to Blarney Castle before continuing on to Killarney.

There we turned in the rental car and joined the OAT tour group. This was our first experience with OAT, and although I would have changed a few things I have to say it was excellent. There were 15 people in the group and we traveled with our Irish guide on the same 19 passenger bus for the whole trip. Since we did the “pre-tour” as well as the basic tour, we had 19 nights in what we felt were all good hotels, and nearly all meals included.

It worked out to about $350 per person per day, and we felt we got our money’s worth. Our guide was outstanding and worked hard to educate everyone on Irish history from Stone Age to the present. I was pretty familiar with all of that (I’m half Irish and have read a lot of history) and I thought he did a great job.

With OAT we went from Killarney in the southwest all the way up the west coast into Northern Ireland, across to Belfast, and back down to Dublin. The experiences along the way were mostly great, and we enjoyed it all. Some things we probably wouldn’t have found on our own, like visits to sheep farms to see some incredible performances by border collies herding flocks, dinner with a local family in a small town, and much more. Of course we did all the typical tourist stuff as well, (Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, Giant’s Causeway, etc., etc.).

Instead of staying with the OAT group for the “post-tour” in Dublin (which really didn’t amount to much more than using a HOHO bus and a walking tour), we stayed on our own in Dublin for four nights. Hired a private guide for a day in the Boyne Valley, and can’t say enough good about that.

This was our first visit to Ireland, but I definitely see a return in the fairly near future.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #572
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just back from nearly a month in Ireland. Since a few people asked me about it, I thought I’d post a brief summary.

We had booked an OAT tour, but since I noticed that it ignored the southeast of Ireland I decided to do our own tour of that region before the guided tour began. Flew into Dublin and rented a car, then drove to Waterford for the factory tour (and a couple of crystal baubles), then to Kilkenny. Loved Kilkenny and would have enjoyed more time there. Then on to Cobh (last Titanic port of call) and then Cork. Cork and surroundings were fun and we included a visit to Blarney Castle before continuing on to Killarney.

There we turned in the rental car and joined the OAT tour group. This was our first experience with OAT, and although I would have changed a few things I have to say it was excellent. There were 15 people in the group and we traveled with our Irish guide on the same 19 passenger bus for the whole trip. Since we did the “pre-tour” as well as the basic tour, we had 19 nights in what we felt were all good hotels, and nearly all meals included.

It worked out to about $350 per person per day, and we felt we got our money’s worth. Our guide was outstanding and worked hard to educate everyone on Irish history from Stone Age to the present. I was pretty familiar with all of that (I’m half Irish and have read a lot of history) and I thought he did a great job.

With OAT we went from Killarney in the southwest all the way up the west coast into Northern Ireland, across to Belfast, and back down to Dublin. The experiences along the way were mostly great, and we enjoyed it all. Some things we probably wouldn’t have found on our own, like visits to sheep farms to see some incredible performances by border collies herding flocks, dinner with a local family in a small town, and much more. Of course we did all the typical tourist stuff as well, (Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, Giant’s Causeway, etc., etc.).

Instead of staying with the OAT group for the “post-tour” in Dublin (which really didn’t amount to much more than using a HOHO bus and a walking tour), we stayed on our own in Dublin for four nights. Hired a private guide for a day in the Boyne Valley, and can’t say enough good about that.

This was our first visit to Ireland, but I definitely see a return in the fairly near future.
Thanks for the update. If you don't mind sharing, what are the 2 or 3 things you most would like to do on a return trip?
Old 09-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Thanks for the update. If you don't mind sharing, what are the 2 or 3 things you most would like to do on a return trip?
First and foremost, visit outside of tourist season.

As I said, Kilkenny would certainly be worth more time than we spent. Same goes for Dingle.

Waterford is interesting (oldest city in Ireland, founded by Vikings) but was so overrun with tour buses that it was impossible.

Parts of the Boyne Valley that we didn't get to, although we saw quite a lot. Less than an hour outside Dublin and easily worth two days.

In Northern Ireland, Derry (or Londonderry if you prefer) was a fascinating town and worth another visit.

The Irish, both in the Republic and in Northern Ireland, are incredibly friendly people and just delightful to talk with. And we ate extremely well everywhere -- the food is wonderful.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #574
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
First and foremost, visit outside of tourist season.

As I said, Kilkenny would certainly be worth more time than we spent. Same goes for Dingle.

Waterford is interesting (oldest city in Ireland, founded by Vikings) but was so overrun with tour buses that it was impossible.

Parts of the Boyne Valley that we didn't get to, although we saw quite a lot. Less than an hour outside Dublin and easily worth two days.

In Northern Ireland, Derry (or Londonderry if you prefer) was a fascinating town and worth another visit.

The Irish, both in the Republic and in Northern Ireland, are incredibly friendly people and just delightful to talk with. And we ate extremely well everywhere -- the food is wonderful.
How was the driving for the days you were there without the tour?
Old 09-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
How was the driving for the days you were there without the tour?
No problem. I got a small Skoda because the roads are relatively narrow, just like in England. I'm OK with a right hand drive manual transmission, but DW tends to stare down at the phone in her lap while we're on the road. Actually, driving anywhere in Europe makes her nervous.

There are a lot of roads in Ireland that are only about 1.5 cars wide, although they're two-way roads. Also quite a few in more rural areas that are not much more than one car wide. You just have to pay attention and be willing to maneuver a bit (or even back up to a wider spot if necessary). Pretty similar to parts of the Lake District in England IMHO.

It's a pretty big deal to get a driving license over there. Once you pass the basic test, you have a very large "L" decal on your rear window, meaning you're a Learner. No driving without a fully qualified driver in the seat next to you. Then when you get your full license, you have a very large "N" decal meaning you're a Novice driver. You have to wear the N for two years until you can take it off and you're fully qualified. They take it seriously.

Right now they're running notices on the radio telling Northern Ireland drivers that their UK licenses won't be any good in the Republic once Brexit is final, so they had better make plans!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #576
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
No problem. I got a small Skoda because the roads are relatively narrow, just like in England. I'm OK with a right hand drive manual transmission, but DW tends to stare down at the phone in her lap while we're on the road. Actually, driving anywhere in Europe makes her nervous.

There are a lot of roads in Ireland that are only about 1.5 cars wide, although they're two-way roads. Also quite a few in more rural areas that are not much more than one car wide. You just have to pay attention and be willing to maneuver a bit (or even back up to a wider spot if necessary). Pretty similar to parts of the Lake District in England IMHO.

It's a pretty big deal to get a driving license over there. Once you pass the basic test, you have a very large "L" decal on your rear window, meaning you're a Learner. No driving without a fully qualified driver in the seat next to you. Then when you get your full license, you have a very large "N" decal meaning you're a Novice driver. You have to wear the N for two years until you can take it off and you're fully qualified. They take it seriously.

Right now they're running notices on the radio telling Northern Ireland drivers that their UK licenses won't be any good in the Republic once Brexit is final, so they had better make plans!
So as a tourist, how can you drive over there regarding license requirements ? (what do you do about rented car insurance ?)
Old 09-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #577
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabowest View Post
We spent 10 days on Maui and one day on Oahu. We loved it - I highly recommended splurging on a helicopter ride. In 47 days we are of to the Panama Canal on a 12 day NCL crusie.
This will be our 3rd time in Maui. When we first went to Maui 30 years ago, we did take a chopper ride. It was OK.

About the Panama cruise at year end, I decided to delay it till next year. Too much travel already this year, and I am afraid I will not enjoy it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So as a tourist, how can you drive over there regarding license requirements ? (what do you do about rented car insurance ?)
Doesn't seem to be a problem as long as you buy the rental car company insurance. That can definitely get expensive but I normally do it for the peace of mind. I have enough on my mind driving on the "wrong" side of the road and shifting with my left hand. You can shop around -- there is enough competition among companies.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #579
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This will be our 3rd time in Maui. When we first went to Maui 30 years ago...
My wife told my son that this will be his 2nd trip to Maui.

That first time we went, she was a few months pregnant. And my son turned 30 a few months ago.

I often forget this, but of course a mother won't.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #580

I have been poking around the Virgin Atlantic flight schedules & cost. From West Coast to a major European gateway is typically $5-7k for Upper Class (Business Class). I just have seen some for about $2500 RT. Now I need a reason to go to Paris.....
Closed Thread