Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... I will drive to Cordes-sur-Ciel today before going to Toulouse...

A Cordes-sur-Ciel ...

j'ai vu Chat-sur-Vigne.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #322
Full time employment: Posting here.

We enjoyed our local special small ship cruise in SE Alaska last year, so we are going on the cruise again, but in reverse direction, starting in Sitka and ending in Juneau. This time a friend is traveling on the same cruise, but we hope to meet new friends just like last years cruise.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:27 AM   #323
Give me a forum ...

Drove from Michigan with DW and the dog to spend 10 days in Sedona, AZ and 11 in Kanab, UT. Lots of pics to edit.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #324
Give me a forum ...

On the way from Toulouse to San Sebastian, I made a detour to visit Lourdes. I read about this place as a kid despite being non-religious, so had to make a stop. Wikipedia said it had the 2nd highest number of hotel rooms in France after Paris. Lourdes is also the 3rd popular religious site to visit after the Vatican and Jerusalem. Amazing. On the day of our visit, it did not appear to be so crowded.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #325

I am planning a few weekday camping trips around Colorado this summer plus one trip to Las Vegas to take an item to my niece (or possibly meet her at the Grand Canyon). The weather is just too nice in Colorado to leave.
In September, I will be in Sanibel Island for possibly a week and in October going to the "Bogleheads" conference in Philadelphia. In between, I hope to go to Spain and walk at least 200 KM of the El Camino. I'm thinking of Hawaii in November and then ski season begins.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #326
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We leave Tuesday for a 12 day Alaskan cruise in a 5633 sq ft suite. We get all kinds of perks including bar setup, wine, free internet and free specialty dining on embarkation day
The best part is the ship leaves from Los Angeles NO FLYING
Old 04-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #327

A 5633 sf suite is twice the size of my three story house!
Old 04-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
A 5633 sf suite is twice the size of my three story house!
OOPS! I suffer from FFS (Fat finger Syndrome) It is 533 Sq FT. I have got to do better proofreading
Old 04-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We leave Tuesday for a 12 day Alaskan cruise in a 5633 sq ft suite.
Quote:
OOPS! I suffer from FFS (Fat finger Syndrome) It is 533 Sq FT. I have got to do better proofreading

Fantastic! I spent all morning imagining how such a grand suite would be. Thank you for entertining me!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #330
Recycles dryer sheets

We are doing a 14 day self drive tour of Norway in June. https://norway.nordicvisitor.com/tra...-explorer/722/. Anyone have their list of what we must see / must do in Norway?
Old 04-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #331

Leaving this week for a 25 day stay in San Pedro, Belize.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #332
Give me a forum ...

I recently returned from a trip to Central Europe (previously known as Eastern Europe). The weather was cool but not cold. We had one very chilly day when we returned to the hotel room early for lack of proper clothing, but the weather dudes also gave us several days of eating lunch at outdoor caffès with only a light jacket on. Alas, our last night plans in Poland got rained out, that was the only real problem.

We used public transit to get around. Planes and buses between cities, and, where possible, unlimited multi-day transit passes in the cities.

No 5000 sq. ft. suites, but nice smaller hotels with some character were the order of the day. All had coffee available 24/7. Several had wine available - one 24/7! Another provided afternoon sangria and/or lemonade. With cookies!

The Spring music festival was going on in Budapest which proved a delight. Prague was interesting and busily crowded, but not the mobs that I hear about as we approach Summer. Krakow was less crowded than Prague, but certainly not empty. We loved the castles of Czechia and Poland and the palaces of Vienna.

Hungarians have some issues with how the present government presents WW2 atrocities and have created a protest monument in front of a official monument that blames only Germany.

They make a great cafè latte just about everywhere.

Central Europe is getting more expensive and starting to match Western Europe in some areas. Beer is still a deal in Czechia and Poland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7762 copy.jpg (680.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7882 copy.jpg (357.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7747 copy.jpg (581.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7649-EFFECTS copy.jpg (757.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7591-EFFECTS copy.jpg (742.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7821 copy.jpg (766.4 KB, 49 views)

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #333
Give me a forum ...

Starting to think about a winter trip. Looks like it might be Thailand and Malaysia again. Have not broken the news to DW yet but I know she suspects something. Need to have the discussion!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #334
Give me a forum ...

Oviedo was a surprisingly modern city. Around the cathedral, not too many old buildings remained.

Today being an Easter Sunday, there was a procession out of the cathedral, which went around the neighborhood. There was also a dance group performing in a square that we happened to pass by.

Afterwards, we lingered after the crowd thinned out. I sampled a couple of local beers, while my wife had her coffee.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #335

Quote:
You will not regret being on Oceania. We love the small ships instead of a group grope on the Oasis. We got married on Santorini while on an Oceania cruise from Venice to Istanbul
Enjoy!

A couple I know has been on Oceania multiple times. They have nothing but great things to say about the line. They are hooked...
Old 04-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #336

I’m taking a two week solo trip to Europe the first part of May. The highlight is a world championship hockey game in Bratislava. Then a weekend in Vienna, followed by a week visiting family.

First time flying Norwegian Air to London. That might be a little iffy if they strictly enforce the overall carry-on weight limit. I’m not sure I can keep it under 10kg. The unfortunate part is my ticket includes checked luggage, but I’d really prefer to stick with carry-on.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:03 AM   #337

We toyed with a couple of ideas-mountain West, Grand Canyon, but we’ve done that before when DS was 5. It felt like...meh. Yesterday we got the idea of combining a trip to visit friends who recently moved to New Hampshire from Atlanta, with visiting Boston and Newport Rhode Island. 20 years ago I visited with my former residency mentor and toured a couple of the mansions there with him. It was amazing. DH and DS both thought this trip was a great idea.

Funny, when it feels right it feels right. The money we save not flying anywhere can be plowed into more upscale accommodations.

We only have about a week between music events, so this will be perfect.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #338
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired two years ago never having more than 5 business days in a row off. I owned my own business. Since retiring at 57 we have been making up for the lost time. We have the following planned so far for the remainder of 2019:

May: Scotland and England for 12 days with one of our two sons who is 21 and a senior in college.

May: Bahamas for 5 days with our oldest son (25) and his girlfriend (we like her very much).

September: Heading to Couer d' Alene Idaho for a family wedding then extending our trip for 12 days to Sand Point, ID, then slowly through Montana to Yellowstone and Jackson Hole.

October: Going to France for three weeks with a Thomas Jefferson scholar and a very small group tracing where Jefferson traveled in France between 1784-1789 (when he was minister) including a 6 day barge trip up the Canal du Midi.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
We toyed with a couple of ideas-mountain West, Grand Canyon, but we’ve done that before when DS was 5. It felt like...meh. Yesterday we got the idea of combining a trip to visit friends who recently moved to New Hampshire from Atlanta, with visiting Boston and Newport Rhode Island. 20 years ago I visited with my former residency mentor and toured a couple of the mansions there with him. It was amazing. DH and DS both thought this trip was a great idea.

Funny, when it feels right it feels right. The money we save not flying anywhere can be plowed into more upscale accommodations.

We only have about a week between music events, so this will be perfect.
Those are great places to visit. I have attached a trip story of a New England tour.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NEW ENGLAND FALL FOLIAGE BY RAIL 2012.pdf (1.98 MB, 14 views)
Old 04-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #340
Give me a forum ...

We love Boston, Maine and the Mansion tours.
Closed Thread