Any Travel Plans for 2020?

In the fall, a couple invited us to go to NYC, then take the train to Montreal and spend some time roaming around eastern Canada. I want to see PEI while we're "in the neighborhood."
If you have time, I suggest you also go to the Magdalen Islands (Iles de la Madeleine), an archipelago in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. There's a ferry between the Magdalens and Souris on the east end of PEI. I liked both the Magdalen Islands & Cape Breton a lot more than PEI.

Most of the Magdalen Islands are francophone but 2 are anglophone. Though the islands are part of Quebec, the French spoken on the islands is Acadian French. There are causeways connecting all of the islands to one another except for Entry Island, one of the two anglophone islands.

Have you decided where to?

Not yet. Right now, since we are driving distance to Baltimore, we are looking at what is available leaving from there. We might also consider Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, as part of a trip visiting relatives who live near those locations.

For this first cruise the destination(s) are not as critical as getting used to being on a ship for long periods of time.

We have taken a number of cruises and would be happy to answer any questions or share our experiences with you.

Thanks. The main thing we are trying to get over is a feeling of "detachment" being at sea for several days. We have both done long airline flights (12 hours and longer), and can deal with those fine. We have been on boats of various sizes before (probably half a day has been the longest), and things like seasickness did not impact us. Being at sea for several days is what we need to deal with mentally. :)

While we are still active and mobile, and enjoy things like various sports activities, walking around sightseeing, and dancing, we feel now is a good time to experience one.

Being at sea for several days is what we need to deal with mentally.

Hint: If you hear the terms Keel Hauling or Cat O' Nine Tails while aboard....make yourselves scarce ASAP.

There are so many things to do on sea days that you won’t be bored Jolly.

True, although I bought my first Kindle for my second cruise, and it was wonderful relaxing on a deck chair reading for hours at a time. Now I'd probably also bring my tablet to do crosswords, or maybe an actual book of them. If you're looking for decompression time, an ebook device or audiobooks might be nice.

On the other end of the spectrum, in case you haven't been reading up on it, all-inclusive cruises actually can wind up costing you less than the standard ones if you like to drink alcohol and schedule a lot of activities (excursions), you just pay it up front instead of splitting it between the initial price and add-ons while on the boat and tips. (The all-inclusive cruise we took included gratuities, which was nice, although we left a little for our steward because we were surprised at how good the service was.)

Cruise Critic is an incredibly busy, noisy (as in, high signal-to-noise ratio) board, but there's a lot of good information there, too, if you are disposed to diving into a board like that.

On October 25, I posted that we'd just be camping this year. Things change. Going to do an 8 day walk in Alsace with friends in the spring, then go to the Dordogne for several days. In the fall, a couple invited us to go to NYC, then take the train to Montreal and spend some time roaming around eastern Canada. I want to see PEI while we're "in the neighborhood."

Oh you want plenty of time in the Dordogne! Alsace is wonderful too. Spring walk sounds great!

Not yet but working on a plan for an extended winter trip.

Sicilia and Lyon. 3 weeks in late September.

Well, I had it all figured out.
DEN -> LHR -> PMO.
2 weeks in Sicilia: Palermo, Agrigento, Ragusa, Catania
CTA -> LYS
6 days in Lyon
LYS -> LHR - > DEN

But, I could not use Avios and my reward 2-for ticket in the September timeframe.

So, now it is in March.
DEN -> LHR - LIN
2 weeks in Italia: Milano, Varenna, Genova
train from Genova to Nice
10 days in France: Nice, Lyon
LYS -> LHR -> DEN

Thailand and Hong Kong, Portugal, Corsica and Cote d'Azur with some Luberon, Switzerland and Savoie.

Also thinking of one more in late August and early September, leaning towards Austria and the Dolomites again.

Heading to South Florida in just over a week until February. Our nephew from Switzerland is visiting us after Christmas. He just broke up with his girlfriend and wants a change of scenery. The girls in South Florida should distract him. My sister in-law from Switzerland is also visiting us before Christmas. Then we are booked for travel to Switzerland May through July and will drive to France and Italy when we feel like it. I'm looking for business class fare deals to fly from LAX to Tokyo in September/October time frame. There will be many trips around California, Arizona, and Nevada in between our booked travel.

Wow, yes I am looking forward to taking another cruise. Last time it was a Carnival cruise in junior suite. Would like to try another cruise line this go around :)

We have been sailing on Princess as we have become Elite passengers, which gives us free laundry among other perks.
It really helped when we were on a 32 day cruise.
We have worked ourselves up from balcony cabins to minisuites, and now we are sailing in suites. We love it!

So far I have three trips lined up: Morocco in February, Turkey in April, and Ecuador/Amazon in October. Thinking of going on one more trip, either Hawaii in January or the SW in the spring.

Ah 2020... I have been semi-retired for 2 years now, going to fully retire in 2020.
Starting in Lucca Italy for the month of April, then heading up to Paris, Loire Valley, and Bordeaux for the month of May, Back to Lucca for the month of June, then Belgium for the summer. In late August we are going to hop on our bikes and cycle the coast from Bruges, Belgium to Portugal for 3 months. After we head back to Lucca for another month (We have family there) In January of 2021 we'll head to southern Spain for a couple of months.
After that, who knows? Depends on how much fun we are having.

Starting a new thread for next year's plans, so it will load faster. I'll close the 2019 thread on December 31st. And just to start - yesterday I made all the reservations for a January trip to Islamorada in the Florida Keys. We used to go every year back in the 90s, but it will have been over 20 years since our last visit.

Yummy! Pretty sure all of these were there 20 years ago. If you haven't been they're worth a stop IMO.

Sticky buns on the drive south. Worth standing in line.
Knaus Berry Farm - Homestead Bakery & U-pick Strawberries

Milkshakes & tropical fruits:
https://www.robertishere.com

Superfishwich at the original location:
https://www.mrsmacskitchen.com/Home

Feed the tarpon at Robbies:
https://www.robbies.com

No firm plans yet for winter. Personal issues may dictate our choice of either Thailand/SE Asia or Mexico/Costa Rica for eight weeks starting mid/late January.

No rush....over the past few years we have taken advantage of internatioanal air fare decreases in the very late December/early January timeframe.

It is snowing here, cold, and a fair amount of snow on the ground. Once Christmas is over I will be desperate to reach end of job on this.

Haven't made any firm commitments yet, but I'm mulling over a 2-3 week drive down the Mississippi River from Minneapolis to New Orleans next fall (open jaw flight and a rental car). The trick is to pick a time when it is not too cold in Minneapolis nor too hot in New Orleans.

We are in for the lottery to hike part of the John Muir Trail in Yosemite. This particular hike has tents/cots already at specific locations, with showers, and meal service. Last years lottery winners didn't even get to go, as there was too much snow for the program to open.

We are hoping to hear whether we were chosen some time this month.

Last year I took 2 of the kids to Switzerland, where we hiked around Mont Blanc. You hiked from Refugio to Refugio (basically little huts in the middle of the mountains), where similarly, you could shower and were fed spectacular regional food.

Haven't made any firm commitments yet, but I'm mulling over a 2-3 week drive down the Mississippi River from Minneapolis to New Orleans next fall (open jaw flight and a rental car). The trick is to pick a time when it is not too cold in Minneapolis nor too hot in New Orleans.

For years I expressed an interest in a riverboat condo that floated up and down the Mississippi and elsewhere to avoid weather. The concept collapsed in 07/08 and the guy has never gotten enough interest to revive it. The website is still up, and I visit it occasionally. It's kind of fun to look at.

Continuously Cruising River City (The Marquette)

Going birding in Puerto Rico in March, the low point of a birder's year in the Mid-Atlantic. The itinerary follows the perimeter of the island, with an inland foray to El Yunque rainforest. I am hoping to add one more US domestic trip and a larger international trip, the latter in later fall or early in 2021, probably in the Amazon region.

Had to replan Alaska for 2021. Katmai National Park / Brooks Lodge is booked until then.

3 week Az road trip in March - Utah National Parks, Las Vegas, Chandler and Sedona Az.

Glacier NP road trip in early August

Maine road trip late August

Back
Top Bottom