Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #61
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Sicilia and Lyon. 3 weeks in late September.
Well, I had it all figured out.
DEN -> LHR -> PMO.
2 weeks in Sicilia: Palermo, Agrigento, Ragusa, Catania
CTA -> LYS
6 days in Lyon
LYS -> LHR - > DEN

But, I could not use Avios and my reward 2-for ticket in the September timeframe.

So, now it is in March.
DEN -> LHR - LIN
2 weeks in Italia: Milano, Varenna, Genova
train from Genova to Nice
10 days in France: Nice, Lyon
LYS -> LHR -> DEN
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thailand and Hong Kong, Portugal, Corsica and Cote d'Azur with some Luberon, Switzerland and Savoie.

Also thinking of one more in late August and early September, leaning towards Austria and the Dolomites again.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:17 AM   #63

Heading to South Florida in just over a week until February. Our nephew from Switzerland is visiting us after Christmas. He just broke up with his girlfriend and wants a change of scenery. The girls in South Florida should distract him. My sister in-law from Switzerland is also visiting us before Christmas. Then we are booked for travel to Switzerland May through July and will drive to France and Italy when we feel like it. I'm looking for business class fare deals to fly from LAX to Tokyo in September/October time frame. There will be many trips around California, Arizona, and Nevada in between our booked travel.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
There are so many things to do on sea days that you won’t be bored Jolly.
Wow, yes I am looking forward to taking another cruise. Last time it was a Carnival cruise in junior suite. Would like to try another cruise line this go around :-)
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #65

We have been sailing on Princess as we have become Elite passengers, which gives us free laundry among other perks.
It really helped when we were on a 32 day cruise.
We have worked ourselves up from balcony cabins to minisuites, and now we are sailing in suites. We love it!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

So far I have three trips lined up: Morocco in February, Turkey in April, and Ecuador/Amazon in October. Thinking of going on one more trip, either Hawaii in January or the SW in the spring.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah 2020... I have been semi-retired for 2 years now, going to fully retire in 2020.
Starting in Lucca Italy for the month of April, then heading up to Paris, Loire Valley, and Bordeaux for the month of May, Back to Lucca for the month of June, then Belgium for the summer. In late August we are going to hop on our bikes and cycle the coast from Bruges, Belgium to Portugal for 3 months. After we head back to Lucca for another month (We have family there) In January of 2021 we'll head to southern Spain for a couple of months.
After that, who knows? Depends on how much fun we are having.
justlikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Starting a new thread for next year's plans, so it will load faster. I'll close the 2019 thread on December 31st. And just to start - yesterday I made all the reservations for a January trip to Islamorada in the Florida Keys. We used to go every year back in the 90s, but it will have been over 20 years since our last visit.
Yummy! Pretty sure all of these were there 20 years ago. If you haven't been they're worth a stop IMO.

Sticky buns on the drive south. Worth standing in line.
Knaus Berry Farm - Homestead Bakery & U-pick Strawberries

Milkshakes & tropical fruits:
https://www.robertishere.com

Superfishwich at the original location:
https://www.mrsmacskitchen.com/Home

Feed the tarpon at Robbies:
https://www.robbies.com
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldConch View Post
Yummy! Pretty sure all of these were there 20 years ago. If you haven't been they're worth a stop IMO.

Sticky buns on the drive south. Worth standing in line.

Knaus Berry Farm - Homestead Bakery & U-pick Strawberries

Milkshakes & tropical fruits:

https://www.robertishere.com

Superfishwich at the original location:

https://www.mrsmacskitchen.com/Home

Feed the tarpon at Robbies:

https://www.robbies.com

I love ‘Robert is here’
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #70

No firm plans yet for winter. Personal issues may dictate our choice of either Thailand/SE Asia or Mexico/Costa Rica for eight weeks starting mid/late January.

No rush....over the past few years we have taken advantage of internatioanal air fare decreases in the very late December/early January timeframe.

It is snowing here, cold, and a fair amount of snow on the ground. Once Christmas is over I will be desperate to reach end of job on this.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #71
Administrator

Haven't made any firm commitments yet, but I'm mulling over a 2-3 week drive down the Mississippi River from Minneapolis to New Orleans next fall (open jaw flight and a rental car). The trick is to pick a time when it is not too cold in Minneapolis nor too hot in New Orleans.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in for the lottery to hike part of the John Muir Trail in Yosemite. This particular hike has tents/cots already at specific locations, with showers, and meal service. Last years lottery winners didn't even get to go, as there was too much snow for the program to open.

We are hoping to hear whether we were chosen some time this month.

Last year I took 2 of the kids to Switzerland, where we hiked around Mont Blanc. You hiked from Refugio to Refugio (basically little huts in the middle of the mountains), where similarly, you could shower and were fed spectacular regional food.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Haven't made any firm commitments yet, but I'm mulling over a 2-3 week drive down the Mississippi River from Minneapolis to New Orleans next fall (open jaw flight and a rental car). The trick is to pick a time when it is not too cold in Minneapolis nor too hot in New Orleans.
For years I expressed an interest in a riverboat condo that floated up and down the Mississippi and elsewhere to avoid weather. The concept collapsed in 07/08 and the guy has never gotten enough interest to revive it. The website is still up, and I visit it occasionally. It's kind of fun to look at.

Continuously Cruising River City (The Marquette)
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Going birding in Puerto Rico in March, the low point of a birder's year in the Mid-Atlantic. The itinerary follows the perimeter of the island, with an inland foray to El Yunque rainforest. I am hoping to add one more US domestic trip and a larger international trip, the latter in later fall or early in 2021, probably in the Amazon region.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:00 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Had to replan Alaska for 2021. Katmai National Park / Brooks Lodge is booked until then.

3 week Az road trip in March - Utah National Parks, Las Vegas, Chandler and Sedona Az.

Glacier NP road trip in early August

Maine road trip late August
Old 12-31-2019, 08:55 AM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Medical insurance eligibility, (without having to amputate limbs to fund the premiums), still unclear, but we have our eyes on Ukraine in the Spring.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #77

We're leaving Jan 2 for a 4 week driving tour of a few US destinations...Myrtle Beach, Edisto, Panama City Beach, Destin, Smokey Mountains, Nashville, then home.

Followed by 4 weeks in Mazatlán from mid-Feb to mid-March.

Then maybe California in May and Portugal or Spain in November.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
3 week Az road trip in March - Utah National Parks, Las Vegas, Chandler and Sedona Az.

Glacier NP road trip in early August

Maine road trip late August
Last year we did Sedona, Glacier, and Acadia. Did the Utah Big 5 and Vegas in the previous 2 years.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:24 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Medical insurance eligibility, (without having to amputate limbs to fund the premiums), still unclear, but we have our eyes on Ukraine in the Spring.
Destination: Pripyat ?
Old 01-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Destination: Pripyat ?
Too crowded.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote