Any Travel Plans for 2020?

Medical insurance eligibility, (without having to amputate limbs to fund the premiums), still unclear, but we have our eyes on Ukraine in the Spring.

We're leaving Jan 2 for a 4 week driving tour of a few US destinations...Myrtle Beach, Edisto, Panama City Beach, Destin, Smokey Mountains, Nashville, then home.

Followed by 4 weeks in Mazatlán from mid-Feb to mid-March.

Then maybe California in May and Portugal or Spain in November.

3 week Az road trip in March - Utah National Parks, Las Vegas, Chandler and Sedona Az.

Glacier NP road trip in early August

Maine road trip late August

Last year we did Sedona, Glacier, and Acadia. Did the Utah Big 5 and Vegas in the previous 2 years.

Medical insurance eligibility, (without having to amputate limbs to fund the premiums), still unclear, but we have our eyes on Ukraine in the Spring.

Destination: Pripyat ?

Just 3 cruises planned so far but will add 2 road trips. Probably sticking to this coast 20200103_134319.jpeg

We are currently researching going to Thailand/Singapore/Tokyo for a month or so then a trans-pacific cruise on May 10 Celebrity back home. Never been to any of these places. Any recommended Airbnb’s or hotels?

Vacation Planning

We are looking at Charleston SC for a week and a couple beach trips for our 2020 vacations. Nothing too fancy until I turn 59 1/2 in a couple years.

March 2020 - 8 day cruise: Baltimore > Bahamas. Stops in Nassau, CocoCay, Port Canaveral, & Charleston, S.C. Wife and I are celebrating our anniversary in Charleston and I am planning to take her to the Peninsula Grill for the world famous Coconut Cake.

July 4th weekend - Trip to D.C. for fireworks and Baseball.

Labor Day weekend - Trip to Virginia Beach

October 2021 - 4 nights in Venice and a 10 day cruise of the Greek Islands. :)

Looks like it is going to be Mexico later this month instead of Thailand. Seven weeks or so. Start in Merida, then Oaxaca, Huatulco/Puerto Escondido, and then up the coast to PV. One way ticket, we will play it by ear. We only plan a few days in advance.

Wine country in Argentina and Chile, as well as the Pacific coast, Atacama, both capitals, and Iguazu falls for February. October-December is still being planned, but looks like Easter island, capitals again (more restaurants), 21(?) day cruise with Antarctica, and much driving and hiking in Patagonia.

An obligatory week of Caribbean diving to keep reasonably up-to-date.

Plus a couple months of ad hoc northern USA and Canada driving trip(s) beginning in early May.

DW doesn't like sitting at home and working out all the time. ;-)

Currently in China for 12 days, will fly to Thailand the day after tomorrow. I will spend 6 days in Ao Bang beach, Krabi.

Kind of a light year for planning purposes right now. Japan and Singapore later this month sturgis in August and contemplating visiting Normandy in the fall. Anticipate adding more for sept and oct just no good ideas right now.

I just returned from a 3 week trip to Australia, mainly in Melbourne and Sydney. LOVED IT!!! What a beautiful country, dynamic cities, and friendly people!! We only had a couple of days where we were impacted from the smoke from the wild fires, such a sad thing to happen to so many people and sooooo many animals!

I personally enjoyed Melbourne and it's metro vibe, but the wife really liked Sydney. No real complaints either way...Sydney had awesome beaches, and we did the walk from Coogee Beach to Bondi Beach and every beach in between.

If it wasn't so damn hot there in the summer (our Canada winter) I would certainly consider it as a potential 'snow bird' destination and move out there longer. For now I will certainly be back many times, as we have only scratched the surface on what the country has to offer.

Cheers and G'Day!

Australia has become part of our Thailand snow bird trip. it is unusually hot this year. Last winter it was perfect for us as was the time before.

Australia has become part of our Thailand snow bird trip. it is unusually hot this year. Last winter it was perfect for us as was the time before.

To channel Johnny Carson, "How hot is it?"........(I recall, almost 60 years ago, 13 consecutive days over 100 F in Adelaide)

East coast trip for step son's masters degree electrical engineering graduation at MIT. Sharp kid! Stop in Detroit on the flip side to party with my school chums.

Just got the rejection email on the High Sierra Loop hiking lottery in Yosemite. Now looking for an alternative hike.

Just booked a celebrity cruise 13 days from Tokyo to Vancouver B.C. on May 10th. Anybody want to go? Price was $1,685.70 including prepaid gratuities, premium drinks, $300 onboard credit, and free internet.
Anybody have ideas on what to do in Japan pre-cruise? Never been before.

Just booked a celebrity cruise 13 days from Tokyo to Vancouver B.C. on May 10th. Anybody want to go? Price was $1,685.70 including prepaid gratuities, premium drinks, $300 onboard credit, and free internet.

I love Japan. Will be there next week. Tokyo is amazing and also is Osaka. Google search suggested japan itenaries and you will get some great ideas. Just go for it you won’t be disappointed.

So the cruise is entirely or mostly across the ocean, not too many ports of calls?

So the cruise is entirely or mostly across the ocean, not too many ports of calls?

Yep. Hanging out with some friends on this cruise and it ends close to home. Price is right. Now need to plan a few things to see in Japan. Retirement life is tough.

Nice Choice... I’ve looked at that one several times over the past few years. The lack of ports and the coldness of the temps (during early May) has kept my desire tepid regarding this cruise. They do have an indoor solarium/pool thus you could make it work. The 3 or 4 pre cruise days in Tokyo is what attracts me to this cruise.

Have Fun!

I

February - Cozumel and some mainland Cenotes (dive trip). (3rd time to Mexico in the Riviera Maya area, love it down there)
May - Iceland (some diving, some above land sightseeing, probably a whale sightseeing tour as well) (first and probably only time going to Iceland... $$$$)
September - Bonaire (dive trip) (first time going, looking forward to some good shore diving).

Anticipating some long weekends in Florida this year as well and will book a 4th trip for the year at some point for sometime in the nov/dec holiday season.

Heading out next week for 1 month in Colombia. Spending most of the time in the coffee region west of Bogota, but I will also spend a few days in Cartagena and Bogota at the end.

DW has no interest in going to Colombia so I am meeting up with some friends down there. One travelling companion spends about 5 months per year in Latin America so it is almost like having a local guide. Since we are staying in really nice Air BnB's, accommodation is only going to be about $25 USD per night per person! This includes 5 nights where we have a complete villa overlooking the coffee plantations. It should be fun.

Back
Top Bottom