Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just 3 cruises planned so far but will add 2 road trips. Probably sticking to this coast20200103_134319.jpeg
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #82

We are currently researching going to Thailand/Singapore/Tokyo for a month or so then a trans-pacific cruise on May 10 Celebrity back home. Never been to any of these places. Any recommended Airbnb’s or hotels?
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Vacation Planning
Old 01-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Vacation Planning

We are looking at Charleston SC for a week and a couple beach trips for our 2020 vacations. Nothing too fancy until I turn 59 1/2 in a couple years.
mckittri2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

March 2020 - 8 day cruise: Baltimore > Bahamas. Stops in Nassau, CocoCay, Port Canaveral, & Charleston, S.C. Wife and I are celebrating our anniversary in Charleston and I am planning to take her to the Peninsula Grill for the world famous Coconut Cake.

July 4th weekend - Trip to D.C. for fireworks and Baseball.

Labor Day weekend - Trip to Virginia Beach

October 2021 - 4 nights in Venice and a 10 day cruise of the Greek Islands.

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:34 PM   #85

Looks like it is going to be Mexico later this month instead of Thailand. Seven weeks or so. Start in Merida, then Oaxaca, Huatulco/Puerto Escondido, and then up the coast to PV. One way ticket, we will play it by ear. We only plan a few days in advance.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #86

Wine country in Argentina and Chile, as well as the Pacific coast, Atacama, both capitals, and Iguazu falls for February. October-December is still being planned, but looks like Easter island, capitals again (more restaurants), 21(?) day cruise with Antarctica, and much driving and hiking in Patagonia.

An obligatory week of Caribbean diving to keep reasonably up-to-date.

Plus a couple months of ad hoc northern USA and Canada driving trip(s) beginning in early May.

DW doesn't like sitting at home and working out all the time. ;-)
Old 01-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #87

Currently in China for 12 days, will fly to Thailand the day after tomorrow. I will spend 6 days in Ao Bang beach, Krabi.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #88

Kind of a light year for planning purposes right now. Japan and Singapore later this month sturgis in August and contemplating visiting Normandy in the fall. Anticipate adding more for sept and oct just no good ideas right now.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #89
Confused about dryer sheets

I just returned from a 3 week trip to Australia, mainly in Melbourne and Sydney. LOVED IT!!! What a beautiful country, dynamic cities, and friendly people!! We only had a couple of days where we were impacted from the smoke from the wild fires, such a sad thing to happen to so many people and sooooo many animals!

I personally enjoyed Melbourne and it's metro vibe, but the wife really liked Sydney. No real complaints either way...Sydney had awesome beaches, and we did the walk from Coogee Beach to Bondi Beach and every beach in between.

If it wasn't so damn hot there in the summer (our Canada winter) I would certainly consider it as a potential 'snow bird' destination and move out there longer. For now I will certainly be back many times, as we have only scratched the surface on what the country has to offer.

Cheers and G'Day!
EarlyRetirementWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #90

Australia has become part of our Thailand snow bird trip. it is unusually hot this year. Last winter it was perfect for us as was the time before.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:28 AM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Australia has become part of our Thailand snow bird trip. it is unusually hot this year. Last winter it was perfect for us as was the time before.
To channel Johnny Carson, "How hot is it?"........(I recall, almost 60 years ago, 13 consecutive days over 100 F in Adelaide)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

East coast trip for step son's masters degree electrical engineering graduation at MIT. Sharp kid! Stop in Detroit on the flip side to party with my school chums.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got the rejection email on the High Sierra Loop hiking lottery in Yosemite. Now looking for an alternative hike.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #94

Just booked a celebrity cruise 13 days from Tokyo to Vancouver B.C. on May 10th. Anybody want to go? Price was $1,685.70 including prepaid gratuities, premium drinks, $300 onboard credit, and free internet.
Anybody have ideas on what to do in Japan pre-cruise? Never been before.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:42 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Just booked a celebrity cruise 13 days from Tokyo to Vancouver B.C. on May 10th. Anybody want to go? Price was $1,685.70 including prepaid gratuities, premium drinks, $300 onboard credit, and free internet.

I love Japan. Will be there next week. Tokyo is amazing and also is Osaka. Google search suggested japan itenaries and you will get some great ideas. Just go for it you won’t be disappointed.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:12 PM   #96

So the cruise is entirely or mostly across the ocean, not too many ports of calls?
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
So the cruise is entirely or mostly across the ocean, not too many ports of calls?

Yep. Hanging out with some friends on this cruise and it ends close to home. Price is right. Now need to plan a few things to see in Japan. Retirement life is tough.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:48 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post

Nice Choice... I’ve looked at that one several times over the past few years. The lack of ports and the coldness of the temps (during early May) has kept my desire tepid regarding this cruise. They do have an indoor solarium/pool thus you could make it work. The 3 or 4 pre cruise days in Tokyo is what attracts me to this cruise.

Have Fun!

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #99

February - Cozumel and some mainland Cenotes (dive trip). (3rd time to Mexico in the Riviera Maya area, love it down there)
May - Iceland (some diving, some above land sightseeing, probably a whale sightseeing tour as well) (first and probably only time going to Iceland... $$$$)
September - Bonaire (dive trip) (first time going, looking forward to some good shore diving).

Anticipating some long weekends in Florida this year as well and will book a 4th trip for the year at some point for sometime in the nov/dec holiday season.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Heading out next week for 1 month in Colombia. Spending most of the time in the coffee region west of Bogota, but I will also spend a few days in Cartagena and Bogota at the end.

DW has no interest in going to Colombia so I am meeting up with some friends down there. One travelling companion spends about 5 months per year in Latin America so it is almost like having a local guide. Since we are staying in really nice Air BnB's, accommodation is only going to be about $25 USD per night per person! This includes 5 nights where we have a complete villa overlooking the coffee plantations. It should be fun.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote