Any Travel Plans for 2020?

This winter we traded our usual 7-8 weeks in Thailand and SE Asia for Mexico.

Just dumb luck given the coronavirus concerns. The only corona I want is the one served cold in the bottle.

Fall trip to Copper Canyon, Mexico 2 days on a train 5 days in a van with 3 other friends. Lots of interesting stuff to do, and throw in some great birdwatching. This trip has been on our bucket list for a bunch of years.

Worst luck, going to Thailand and Hong Kong in a couple of weeks as this Corona virus is breaking out.

Worrying about being quarantined or worse.

Admin/mods, can I make a suggestion for the beginning of the year next year? Could we leave this thread open for a few days/weeks past the new year? I was bummed that I did a trip at the very end of the year and posted about it on Dec 30, and then the thread was closed to discussion 30 minutes after midnight on the 1st, so there was no chance at any discussion? Thanks.

Admin/mods, can I make a suggestion for the beginning of the year next year? Could we leave this thread open for a few days/weeks past the new year? I was bummed that I did a trip at the very end of the year and posted about it on Dec 30, and then the thread was closed to discussion 30 minutes after midnight on the 1st, so there was no chance at any discussion? Thanks.
We’ll do our best to remember this request. Feel free to remind us late December - some of us are getting senile (so says DW) and 11 months is a long time to remember specific requests. In fact, most of what DW tells me I forget right away (again, her view). :)

Last year was big for me in terms of travel. We went to Ireland in January, local beach trip in the summer, I did a motorcycle trip through the Labrador Highway solo, and then I was deployed to Poland with the army in late summer. There I got to travel to all the major Polish cities, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia. This year will be nowhere near as much travel for me!

Anyhow, travel plans this year include going to Myrtle Beach next month, a motorcycle trip somewhere over the summer, Ocean City in July, Quebec City some time in the summer, and some smaller weekend camping trips and such. But nothing grand. I took a major pay cut during my army deployment and lost the equivalent of roughly two years worth of vacation costs. So, we've got to cut way back to get the savings caught up from that. Sigh.

We’ll do our best to remember this request. Feel free to remind us late December - some of us are getting senile (so says DW) and 11 months is a long time to remember specific requests. In fact, most of what DW tells me I forget right away (again, her view). :)

Thank you! Great, I'll probably forget by then too! :LOL:

Picked up a last minute five nights at a Playa del Carmen AI. Booked air to Huatulco and the first four nights there. After that...who knows? That is the beauty of being retired and having no strings.

So far we have VRBO's rented at Oregon Coast in August and Nantucket in Aug/Sept. Seabourn Cruise in Caribbean in November. Probably do a Carmel, Ca visit in June as well as a couple of quick weekends in San Diego and/or Newport beach.:clap:

We leave tomorrow morning for a month in Mazatlán. Perfect timing as the forecast for tonight is -29C

We plan to end in Mazatlan in mid/late March. Any accommodation recommendations?

We plan to end in Mazatlan in mid/late March. Any accommodation recommendations?

This is my first time there so I have no idea. We have 3 weeks in a time share owned by someone my girlfriend knows, and then 1 week at a resort hotel that we received for going on a time share pitch.

I was in Vegas in October and Aerosmith was going to be there on the same day in November, but I got excited because I read the dates wrong. I saw them back in 2002 or 2003 at Shoreline in Mountain View and enjoyed their performance immensely. I hope they're still as good. Report back if you can. Thanks!

Reporting back as you asked. My wife and I really enjoyed the Aerosmith concert. So great to see all original members. The venue was great, and walking to the hotel room after was great. No traffic to contend with,lol. I have been listening to them since 1976 but never did see them until now. So that is crossed off of my bucket list. Steven still sounded good in my opinion. He had help of back up singers, but we did not mind. All the members sounded great. Great show in my opinion!

Reporting back as you asked. My wife and I really enjoyed the Aerosmith concert. So great to see all original members. The venue was great, and walking to the hotel room after was great. No traffic to contend with,lol. I have been listening to them since 1976 but never did see them until now. So that is crossed off of my bucket list. Steven still sounded good in my opinion. He had help of back up singers, but we did not mind. All the members sounded great. Great show in my opinion!

Thank you very much for remembering and reporting back! I am envious you got to watch them play but happy that you enjoyed their concert! I don't think we have many more years left to see them play, so I'd better go see them sooner than later.

My 2020 Travel - 2 Caribbean cruises in January; 4 days in New York City in April; 3 weeks in Ireland/Scotland in April/May; a week at Yosemite and Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks in June; and a week on Lake Gaston, NC in August. I'll mix in some camping trips to Michigan and New York State and possibly up as far as Acadia National Park during the warm months.

Just got back from a week with my little brother in Riviera Maya in Mexico. This was a new adventure with brother since he doesn’t travel very much. Stayed at the new Adults-Only Barcelo all-inclusive. Awesome place with good food and service. Ocean front room wasn’t too bad either!

First time brother and I have traveled together and was a hoot. Lots of good memories. Looking forward to the Fall when we can go for a week with the wives.

Nothing cancelled.....I often listen to one of my favorite singers when I'm on the elliptical, and she provides inspiration:

Lot's of travel this year; Puerto Vallarta next week. Back to PV at the end of April. Cabo in late May, Costa Rica in late September, and back to Puerto Vallarta for the Holidays. Just did some booking today as American Air has a new temp change policy; buy now and you can change your tickets with no fees (there are some dates and requirements).

I'm heading to Myrtle Beach, SC on Thursday, and we're going with friends. It should be a nice relaxing trip.

My coworker had a trip to Hawaii planned. She was leaving in two weeks. It was fully paid for by her husband's company. She just found out today that it was canceled due to Corona virus fears. She's pretty devastated.

So far this year we've only done Cabo. Was fairly unimpressed. Amazingly overpriced tourist trap! No other plans yet. Had thought about going back to see family in Texas this month but will wait till virus panic subsides. Maybe this fall...

We did seven plus weeks independent in Mexico this winter. This was a bit of a last minute change for us since the past five winters have been spend in SE Asia/Australia. Cancun, Merida, Playa, Puerto Morelos, Huatulco, Puerto Escondido, Acapulco, Zihuantanejo, PV and environs. Planned to go to Mazatlan but never made it because of covid. We plan to go back and do more independent travel in Mexico.

We had a wonderful time. We plan to return to Zih-it was our favorite. We used buses and domestic air. The Mexican buses put our airlines to shame. Huge comfortable seats, incredible leg room. Compares to business class on our airlines. Even the domestic airline we used, Interjet, had far more seat pitch that we are use to in NA economy flights.

Last edited:
:)My 2020 travel plans were 1) Janusry-RV trip to Arizona, 2) March -dive trip to Bonaire, 3) September- Malawi, Africa trip.

I postponed the January trip because I felt DH and I needed more time in the gym to prep for the dive vacation. We went on the March dive trip. We left on 3/16/20 and returned on 3/23/20. There was and is not any Covid19 on the island and we dove alone so we were social distancing. The flight back was the most worrisome. The first leg was good because everyone was leaving an island that was not infected. We kept our distance in the Miami Airport. On the second leg from Miami to Chicago, it was a little more crowded, but not a full plane. DH and I had use of three seats across. The Africa trip is canceled.

I have made travel a priority for most of my adult life. The new reality is going to change that for this year and maybe longer. I've used active vacations as motivation to train and get in shape for scuba diving, hiking, long days of tourist walking, etc. I especially use the active vacation to get DH off of the couch. He will exercise a little if he is afraid he will get left behind.

This will be my year of the garden and traveling around my house and yard.

Back
Top Bottom