Any Travel Plans for 2020?

I returned from New Zealand in December .... everything after that is in limbo. I was supposed to be on a back to back cruise on the Grand Princess with 2 kids in March. They cancelled. Then I was supposed to fly to Hong Kong for a week before cruising down to Australia. They cancelled. I still have a flight to Denmark in September where the plan was to spend a week there before cruising to Florida --- who knows??

We are planning for Morocco in the Oct, plus somewhere else. Perhaps Iberia.
And back to Thailand and perhaps Australia in the winter.

All up in the air. It if happens so be it. If not, there is always the following year.

Supposed to have got in from Berlin yesterday. British Airways cancelled our flights, and now we're having to fight to get our airfare back. They want to rebook our flights for later.

We're tabling 2020 international travel temporarily until things shake out with the virus. There's always next year.

With a lake house and a RV in the mountains, we're not hurting for something to do.

So far this year we've only done Cabo. Was fairly unimpressed. Amazingly overpriced tourist trap! No other plans yet. Had thought about going back to see family in Texas this month but will wait till virus panic subsides. Maybe this fall...
We were unimpressed by Cabo too. Our July vacation will probably get cancelled (Mediterranean cruise, lol) and mom and dad cancelled the June trip to lake Powell. She reported that American won't cancel flights without penalty at this point. It's not close enough. Whatever that means. Mom rescheduled the lake Powell trip for next year. We're keeping the flights for now. Lots of places we want to see within a couple of hours of Vegas. We can always cancel later

As per post #3 - the deposits on the two back-to-back Pullmantur cruises are still in effect, final payments due around August 31.

Other than a previously booked hostel in Trieste we have added nothing else, no flights, trains, etc.

If things look better in August we'll weigh our chances...if we forfeit the ship deposits then c'est la vie.....

Our summer overseas trip was cancelled. Going to take a bath on that since it won't be fully refunded (that darn fine print). The stimulus payment will help offset that pain.

So, our plans for 2020? I'll be happy to drive 50 miles to a few state parks. That's not even assured yet.

Supposed to have got in from Berlin yesterday. British Airways cancelled our flights, and now we're having to fight to get our airfare back. They want to rebook our flights for later.

The one an only time I ever made reservations on BA they changed my flight times by a about four hours. But those few hours meant I had to leave work very early, which was a No No at that time. I explained to them that I would never have reserved seat on the flight if that was the departure time. They refused to give me my money back. Period. I have never done business with them since that incident.

As per post #3 - the deposits on the two back-to-back Pullmantur cruises are still in effect, final payments due around August 31.

Other than a previously booked hostel in Trieste we have added nothing else, no flights, trains, etc.

If things look better in August we'll weigh our chances...if we forfeit the ship deposits then c'est la vie.....

Out of curiosity I just ran a status check with VTG - the second leg price is now double what we 'paid', and the cruise is sold out. There must be some optimists out there.

We're tabling 2020 international travel temporarily until things shake out with the virus. There's always next year.

With a lake house and a RV in the mountains, we're not hurting for something to do.

Yeah, all travel is on hold. Hopefully our marina will reopen and we'll get Great Grandma out of senior living for a boat ride this Summer.

With all far flung travel for the remainder of year now cancelled, I just made a series of reservations for a fall RV trip along the beautiful central coast of California. We will hike and kayak and enjoy our own food and wine, plus takeout. It will be wonderful.

Last edited:
A few weeks back we cancelled reservations for our June roadtrip through Alaska. Made those plans/reservations pre COVID-19.

Like many here we love to travel and wondering when we will be able to safely travel again.

Central America is our happy place and hoping wife and I can safely get down to Costa Rica for December sun and fun. Also indoctrinating my little brother and SIL to the joys of intl travel. Have plans for an all-inclusive resort down in Riviera Maya Mexico for a week in January 2021 with them. Baby steps with the rookies before we crack open the world of travel to them.

Anyone been to Tirana?

Anyone been to Tirana?

Back in the late 90’s. Evacuated Skopje, Macedonia during the end of the conflict in the Balkins.

Good Italian restaurants and a rather large expat community at the time.

No reason to go back.

I

Back in the late 90’s. Evacuated Skopje, Macedonia during the end of the conflict in the Balkins.

Good Italian restaurants and a rather large expat community at the time.

No reason to go back.

I

Thanks. I've never been there...which is a reason for me to go. Although restaurants and expats aren't a draw.

Guess I missed King Zog....even when going through the neighborhood....was in Skopje area after the earthquake in '63.

We are not very hopeful that we will be going anywhere. But if it is possible, two things would appeal to us.

The first is 4-6 weeks in Greece. Mid Sept to end of October. Two weeks in Crete and the rest island hopping. We can fly directly to Athens from Toronto.

Failing that, two weeks self catering in Zihuantanejo late Nov/Early Dec. IF the direct flight is operating from Calgary.

I suspect that on a good day, the very best that may be possible is the latter.

We are not very hopeful that we will be going anywhere. But if it is possible, two things would appeal to us.

The first is 4-6 weeks in Greece. Mid Sept to end of October. Two weeks in Crete and the rest island hopping. We can fly directly to Athens from Toronto.

Failing that, two weeks self catering in Zihuantanejo late Nov/Early Dec. IF the direct flight is operating from Calgary.

I suspect that on a good day, the very best that may be possible is the latter.
I know you spend a lot of time in Asia, would you know consider going there? I ask because I'm considering that myself.

Woohoo! A bit of "good" news in all this, I got an email today that our return flight (??) was cancelled, so I called British Airways, and after about 30 minutes on hold I was able to get a refund fairly easily! :dance::dance:

Greece is saying they will open to international tourists in July, though with some restrictions for some countries.

I do not think we will go to Asia this winter. We have been reading about how successful Vietnam has been in fighting the virus. Not sure about our favourite Thailand though.

We are not as much concerned about when countries will ‘open up’ as we are about how safe we will feel travelling to any of those destinations. If we do manage to go anywhere we want direct flights. Both Mexico and Greece offer that to us.......currently. Not so with Asia. For us that typically involves two stops.

Anyone taken the train from Catania to Rome?

Relative to their population, Thailand is ranked 182nd in total cases, 160th in deaths out of 213 countries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/thailand/

I was reading a forum for expats in Thailand back in January and February, because I was to have gone there in mid Feb.

There was a lot of skepticism about the official numbers and little confidence that the Thai authorities would handle the pandemic well.

For instance, they didn't immediately cut off travel to/from China, including direct flights from Wuhan.

There was even a claim back then that they had found a cure, with a combination of antivirals for other diseases.

Back
Top Bottom