Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I was in Vegas in October and Aerosmith was going to be there on the same day in November, but I got excited because I read the dates wrong. I saw them back in 2002 or 2003 at Shoreline in Mountain View and enjoyed their performance immensely. I hope they're still as good. Report back if you can. Thanks!
Reporting back as you asked. My wife and I really enjoyed the Aerosmith concert. So great to see all original members. The venue was great, and walking to the hotel room after was great. No traffic to contend with,lol. I have been listening to them since 1976 but never did see them until now. So that is crossed off of my bucket list. Steven still sounded good in my opinion. He had help of back up singers, but we did not mind. All the members sounded great. Great show in my opinion!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicamuxen View Post
Reporting back as you asked. My wife and I really enjoyed the Aerosmith concert. So great to see all original members. The venue was great, and walking to the hotel room after was great. No traffic to contend with,lol. I have been listening to them since 1976 but never did see them until now. So that is crossed off of my bucket list. Steven still sounded good in my opinion. He had help of back up singers, but we did not mind. All the members sounded great. Great show in my opinion!
Thank you very much for remembering and reporting back! I am envious you got to watch them play but happy that you enjoyed their concert! I don't think we have many more years left to see them play, so I'd better go see them sooner than later.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My 2020 Travel - 2 Caribbean cruises in January; 4 days in New York City in April; 3 weeks in Ireland/Scotland in April/May; a week at Yosemite and Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks in June; and a week on Lake Gaston, NC in August. I'll mix in some camping trips to Michigan and New York State and possibly up as far as Acadia National Park during the warm months.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just got back from a week with my little brother in Riviera Maya in Mexico. This was a new adventure with brother since he doesn’t travel very much. Stayed at the new Adults-Only Barcelo all-inclusive. Awesome place with good food and service. Ocean front room wasn’t too bad either!

First time brother and I have traveled together and was a hoot. Lots of good memories. Looking forward to the Fall when we can go for a week with the wives.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Nothing cancelled.....I often listen to one of my favorite singers when I'm on the elliptical, and she provides inspiration:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #146

Lot's of travel this year; Puerto Vallarta next week. Back to PV at the end of April. Cabo in late May, Costa Rica in late September, and back to Puerto Vallarta for the Holidays. Just did some booking today as American Air has a new temp change policy; buy now and you can change your tickets with no fees (there are some dates and requirements).
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #147

I'm heading to Myrtle Beach, SC on Thursday, and we're going with friends. It should be a nice relaxing trip.

My coworker had a trip to Hawaii planned. She was leaving in two weeks. It was fully paid for by her husband's company. She just found out today that it was canceled due to Corona virus fears. She's pretty devastated.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #148

So far this year we've only done Cabo. Was fairly unimpressed. Amazingly overpriced tourist trap! No other plans yet. Had thought about going back to see family in Texas this month but will wait till virus panic subsides. Maybe this fall...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

We did seven plus weeks independent in Mexico this winter. This was a bit of a last minute change for us since the past five winters have been spend in SE Asia/Australia. Cancun, Merida, Playa, Puerto Morelos, Huatulco, Puerto Escondido, Acapulco, Zihuantanejo, PV and environs. Planned to go to Mazatlan but never made it because of covid. We plan to go back and do more independent travel in Mexico.

We had a wonderful time. We plan to return to Zih-it was our favorite. We used buses and domestic air. The Mexican buses put our airlines to shame. Huge comfortable seats, incredible leg room. Compares to business class on our airlines. Even the domestic airline we used, Interjet, had far more seat pitch that we are use to in NA economy flights.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Smile
Old 04-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

Smile

My 2020 travel plans were 1) Janusry-RV trip to Arizona, 2) March -dive trip to Bonaire, 3) September- Malawi, Africa trip.

I postponed the January trip because I felt DH and I needed more time in the gym to prep for the dive vacation. We went on the March dive trip. We left on 3/16/20 and returned on 3/23/20. There was and is not any Covid19 on the island and we dove alone so we were social distancing. The flight back was the most worrisome. The first leg was good because everyone was leaving an island that was not infected. We kept our distance in the Miami Airport. On the second leg from Miami to Chicago, it was a little more crowded, but not a full plane. DH and I had use of three seats across. The Africa trip is canceled.

I have made travel a priority for most of my adult life. The new reality is going to change that for this year and maybe longer. I've used active vacations as motivation to train and get in shape for scuba diving, hiking, long days of tourist walking, etc. I especially use the active vacation to get DH off of the couch. He will exercise a little if he is afraid he will get left behind.

This will be my year of the garden and traveling around my house and yard.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #151

I returned from New Zealand in December .... everything after that is in limbo. I was supposed to be on a back to back cruise on the Grand Princess with 2 kids in March. They cancelled. Then I was supposed to fly to Hong Kong for a week before cruising down to Australia. They cancelled. I still have a flight to Denmark in September where the plan was to spend a week there before cruising to Florida --- who knows??
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

We are planning for Morocco in the Oct, plus somewhere else. Perhaps Iberia.
And back to Thailand and perhaps Australia in the winter.

All up in the air. It if happens so be it. If not, there is always the following year.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Supposed to have got in from Berlin yesterday. British Airways cancelled our flights, and now we're having to fight to get our airfare back. They want to rebook our flights for later.

We're tabling 2020 international travel temporarily until things shake out with the virus. There's always next year.

With a lake house and a RV in the mountains, we're not hurting for something to do.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
So far this year we've only done Cabo. Was fairly unimpressed. Amazingly overpriced tourist trap! No other plans yet. Had thought about going back to see family in Texas this month but will wait till virus panic subsides. Maybe this fall...
We were unimpressed by Cabo too. Our July vacation will probably get cancelled (Mediterranean cruise, lol) and mom and dad cancelled the June trip to lake Powell. She reported that American won't cancel flights without penalty at this point. It's not close enough. Whatever that means. Mom rescheduled the lake Powell trip for next year. We're keeping the flights for now. Lots of places we want to see within a couple of hours of Vegas. We can always cancel later
Old 04-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

As per post #3 - the deposits on the two back-to-back Pullmantur cruises are still in effect, final payments due around August 31.

Other than a previously booked hostel in Trieste we have added nothing else, no flights, trains, etc.

If things look better in August we'll weigh our chances...if we forfeit the ship deposits then c'est la vie.....

Old 04-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Our summer overseas trip was cancelled. Going to take a bath on that since it won't be fully refunded (that darn fine print). The stimulus payment will help offset that pain.

So, our plans for 2020? I'll be happy to drive 50 miles to a few state parks. That's not even assured yet.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Supposed to have got in from Berlin yesterday. British Airways cancelled our flights, and now we're having to fight to get our airfare back. They want to rebook our flights for later.
The one an only time I ever made reservations on BA they changed my flight times by a about four hours. But those few hours meant I had to leave work very early, which was a No No at that time. I explained to them that I would never have reserved seat on the flight if that was the departure time. They refused to give me my money back. Period. I have never done business with them since that incident.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

No trips for DW and I until there is a vaccine
14thMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
As per post #3 - the deposits on the two back-to-back Pullmantur cruises are still in effect, final payments due around August 31.

Other than a previously booked hostel in Trieste we have added nothing else, no flights, trains, etc.

If things look better in August we'll weigh our chances...if we forfeit the ship deposits then c'est la vie.....
Out of curiosity I just ran a status check with VTG - the second leg price is now double what we 'paid', and the cruise is sold out. There must be some optimists out there.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

We're tabling 2020 international travel temporarily until things shake out with the virus. There's always next year.

With a lake house and a RV in the mountains, we're not hurting for something to do.
Yeah, all travel is on hold. Hopefully our marina will reopen and we'll get Great Grandma out of senior living for a boat ride this Summer.