Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2020, 11:06 PM   #161
Recycles dryer sheets

With all far flung travel for the remainder of year now cancelled, I just made a series of reservations for a fall RV trip along the beautiful central coast of California. We will hike and kayak and enjoy our own food and wine, plus takeout. It will be wonderful.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

A few weeks back we cancelled reservations for our June roadtrip through Alaska. Made those plans/reservations pre COVID-19.

Like many here we love to travel and wondering when we will be able to safely travel again.

Central America is our happy place and hoping wife and I can safely get down to Costa Rica for December sun and fun. Also indoctrinating my little brother and SIL to the joys of intl travel. Have plans for an all-inclusive resort down in Riviera Maya Mexico for a week in January 2021 with them. Baby steps with the rookies before we crack open the world of travel to them.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone been to Tirana?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:19 PM   #164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Anyone been to Tirana?
Yeah, couple of days ago but the Sky Dome was closed.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Yeah, couple of days ago but the Sky Dome was closed.

What took you so long?

Old 05-31-2020, 04:54 PM   #166
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Anyone been to Tirana?
Back in the late 90ís. Evacuated Skopje, Macedonia during the end of the conflict in the Balkins.

Good Italian restaurants and a rather large expat community at the time.

No reason to go back.

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post
Back in the late 90ís. Evacuated Skopje, Macedonia during the end of the conflict in the Balkins.

Good Italian restaurants and a rather large expat community at the time.

No reason to go back.

I
Thanks. I've never been there...which is a reason for me to go. Although restaurants and expats aren't a draw.

Guess I missed King Zog....even when going through the neighborhood....was in Skopje area after the earthquake in '63.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #168

We are not very hopeful that we will be going anywhere. But if it is possible, two things would appeal to us.

The first is 4-6 weeks in Greece. Mid Sept to end of October. Two weeks in Crete and the rest island hopping. We can fly directly to Athens from Toronto.

Failing that, two weeks self catering in Zihuantanejo late Nov/Early Dec. IF the direct flight is operating from Calgary.

I suspect that on a good day, the very best that may be possible is the latter.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:56 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We are not very hopeful that we will be going anywhere. But if it is possible, two things would appeal to us.

The first is 4-6 weeks in Greece. Mid Sept to end of October. Two weeks in Crete and the rest island hopping. We can fly directly to Athens from Toronto.

Failing that, two weeks self catering in Zihuantanejo late Nov/Early Dec. IF the direct flight is operating from Calgary.

I suspect that on a good day, the very best that may be possible is the latter.
I know you spend a lot of time in Asia, would you know consider going there? I ask because I'm considering that myself.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #170

Woohoo! A bit of "good" news in all this, I got an email today that our return flight (??) was cancelled, so I called British Airways, and after about 30 minutes on hold I was able to get a refund fairly easily!
Old 06-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #171

Greece is saying they will open to international tourists in July, though with some restrictions for some countries.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #172

I do not think we will go to Asia this winter. We have been reading about how successful Vietnam has been in fighting the virus. Not sure about our favourite Thailand though.

We are not as much concerned about when countries will Ďopen upí as we are about how safe we will feel travelling to any of those destinations. If we do manage to go anywhere we want direct flights. Both Mexico and Greece offer that to us.......currently. Not so with Asia. For us that typically involves two stops.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #173
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Not sure about our favourite Thailand though.
Relative to their population, Thailand is ranked 182nd in total cases, 160th in deaths out of 213 countries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ntry/thailand/
Old 06-05-2020, 05:24 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Anyone taken the train from Catania to Rome?

Old 06-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Relative to their population, Thailand is ranked 182nd in total cases, 160th in deaths out of 213 countries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ntry/thailand/
I was reading a forum for expats in Thailand back in January and February, because I was to have gone there in mid Feb.

There was a lot of skepticism about the official numbers and little confidence that the Thai authorities would handle the pandemic well.

For instance, they didn't immediately cut off travel to/from China, including direct flights from Wuhan.

There was even a claim back then that they had found a cure, with a combination of antivirals for other diseases.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #176

Quote:
Anyone taken the train from Catania to Rome?
I haven't but I imagine it's at least 8-9 hours?

May be kind of cool to take the ferry across and continue the train journey but it's at most a 2 hour flight?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I haven't but I imagine it's at least 8-9 hours?

May be kind of cool to take the ferry across and continue the train journey but it's at most a 2 hour flight?
Perhaps longer....if we did it it would be more for the train ride itself, and, depending upon the route, stopovers on the way. Early days yet...just kicking around some ideas.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #178

nemo....

We found the trains in Sicily to be very different than the mainland. Not in a good way. They were always late, some by a large margin.

We did Cefalu-Milazzo return and Cefalu to Palermo on the rails. We flew int Catania. Bused to Taormina for a few days. Picked up a rental car and dropped it in Cefalu ten days later.

Whilst in Palermo we booked a last minute cruise from Rome. Two choices. Air or rail. Rail was considerably more expensive than our 37e fare on Vueling and much more inconvenient. We flew to FCO.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whilst in Palermo we booked a last minute cruise from Rome. Two choices. Air or rail. Rail was considerably more expensive than our 37e fare on Vueling and much more inconvenient. We flew to FCO.
Thank you......it's early days yet, (if it happens at all), but if it's a go we'll be looking at 2 weeks to get from Athens to Civitavecchia - 55 and then 54 years ago I walked on the ferry Piraeus to Brindisi, so that's another option and one DW's never experienced.

Inconvenient trains? Well, there's this: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...-90060-48.html Post #945

Old 06-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #180

nemo.....it is so difficult to predict what will happen. This past fall we spent five weeks in Greece and then two in Cyprus.

Our initial plan was to use ferry, bus, car rentals. We did car rentals on the mainland and for each of our week long stay on each island. Our surprise was the low cost of air-incredibly low. In once instance flying from Corfu to Kefalonia was only about 20 percent more than ferry/bus but saved us a day of travel. Air from Athens to Ioanini was actually less and faster than bus. It was $50 cad each. Same for air to Cyprus, then return to London.

We did five flights, eight segments (they mostly go through Athens) on Aegean/Olympic. One surprise to us that on on occasion the fare Aegean/Olympic fare for the same flight, same time, on Expedia was considerably less that the airline's website (we use skyscanner to check routes/fares in Europe). We also experienced the same with Interjet domestic flights in Mexico this past winter.

We are fans of Aegean/Olympic. Always on time. No extra charge for our airline std. carry on. Unlike some other airlines they do not check your bag weight down to the last gram or put their thumbs on the scale while doing so in order to generate revenue!

We have done a fair amount of rail in Italy and we plan to do more. But not in Sicily!