Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #121
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Excited to be heading to Cancun next Sunday for a week of rest and relaxation with my younger brother. We are headed to the newly opened adults only side of the Barcelo Resort at Riviera Maya. Wife and I have stayed at the older part of this resort a few times and really enjoyed our stay.
We just came back from the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo. Have gone there many times. Have also done Barcelo for the previous 2 New Years. Love Barcelo’s layout...so much is right by the ocean. Also love the calmness of the beach and swimming with the turtles! We are going back to Mexico for March Break and sure debated about the new Barcelo. The oceanfront premium suites have an amazing view from what I have seen. Enjoy!
jled317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

A week of medical mission volunteering in Honduras with daughter and a wedding of a former au pair near her home in France.
Extra Medium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Booked a couple of trips to places my DW and I have never been to. One trip in April to China for 10 days. Another trip to S America-- Buenos Aires, Rio for a week. They are both package tours. The S Amer trip only gets us flight and hotel, so we have the freedom to explore the two cities on our own. The trip to china includes flight, hotel, guide and driver. We also added the great wall, forbidden place and a few other excursions.

Ski trip to Vail for 5 days of skiing with a friends--starting this week!

Enjoying the freedom to travel together now that our youngest children are in high school.
Retire52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire52 View Post
Booked a couple of trips to places my DW and I have never been to. One trip in April to China for 10 days. Another trip to S America-- Buenos Aires, Rio for a week. They are both package tours. The S Amer trip only gets us flight and hotel, so we have the freedom to explore the two cities on our own. The trip to china includes flight, hotel, guide and driver. We also added the great wall, forbidden place and a few other excursions.

Ski trip to Vail for 5 days of skiing with a friends--starting this week!

Enjoying the freedom to travel together now that our youngest children are in high school.
Hope you have cancellation insurance for the China trip. In case the outbreak still exists.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #125
Dryer sheet aficionado

Portugal is an amazing country. Porto was my favorite place to visit, lot's of history on both sides of the river.
L Carlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

By the time we go, it will likely be in south america as well. May have to weigh the risks as the time draws near.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Hope you have cancellation insurance for the China trip. In case the outbreak still exists.
Retire52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

This winter we traded our usual 7-8 weeks in Thailand and SE Asia for Mexico.

Just dumb luck given the coronavirus concerns. The only corona I want is the one served cold in the bottle.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fall trip to Copper Canyon, Mexico 2 days on a train 5 days in a van with 3 other friends. Lots of interesting stuff to do, and throw in some great birdwatching. This trip has been on our bucket list for a bunch of years.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:30 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Worst luck, going to Thailand and Hong Kong in a couple of weeks as this Corona virus is breaking out.

Worrying about being quarantined or worse.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:52 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Worst luck, going to Thailand and Hong Kong in a couple of weeks as this Corona virus is breaking out.

Worrying about being quarantined or worse.
Bring some N95 masks, as they will all be sold out over there.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

Admin/mods, can I make a suggestion for the beginning of the year next year? Could we leave this thread open for a few days/weeks past the new year? I was bummed that I did a trip at the very end of the year and posted about it on Dec 30, and then the thread was closed to discussion 30 minutes after midnight on the 1st, so there was no chance at any discussion? Thanks.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #132
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
Admin/mods, can I make a suggestion for the beginning of the year next year? Could we leave this thread open for a few days/weeks past the new year? I was bummed that I did a trip at the very end of the year and posted about it on Dec 30, and then the thread was closed to discussion 30 minutes after midnight on the 1st, so there was no chance at any discussion? Thanks.
We’ll do our best to remember this request. Feel free to remind us late December - some of us are getting senile (so says DW) and 11 months is a long time to remember specific requests. In fact, most of what DW tells me I forget right away (again, her view).
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #133

Last year was big for me in terms of travel. We went to Ireland in January, local beach trip in the summer, I did a motorcycle trip through the Labrador Highway solo, and then I was deployed to Poland with the army in late summer. There I got to travel to all the major Polish cities, Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia. This year will be nowhere near as much travel for me!

Anyhow, travel plans this year include going to Myrtle Beach next month, a motorcycle trip somewhere over the summer, Ocean City in July, Quebec City some time in the summer, and some smaller weekend camping trips and such. But nothing grand. I took a major pay cut during my army deployment and lost the equivalent of roughly two years worth of vacation costs. So, we've got to cut way back to get the savings caught up from that. Sigh.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We’ll do our best to remember this request. Feel free to remind us late December - some of us are getting senile (so says DW) and 11 months is a long time to remember specific requests. In fact, most of what DW tells me I forget right away (again, her view).
Thank you! Great, I'll probably forget by then too!
Old 02-06-2020, 03:48 AM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Barcelona in about 6 weeks.
Have fun! We love it there. Been a few times now and it's one of our favs along with Palma.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Picked up a last minute five nights at a Playa del Carmen AI. Booked air to Huatulco and the first four nights there. After that...who knows? That is the beauty of being retired and having no strings.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #137
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So far we have VRBO's rented at Oregon Coast in August and Nantucket in Aug/Sept. Seabourn Cruise in Caribbean in November. Probably do a Carmel, Ca visit in June as well as a couple of quick weekends in San Diego and/or Newport beach.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

We leave tomorrow morning for a month in Mazatlán. Perfect timing as the forecast for tonight is -29C
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:46 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

We plan to end in Mazatlan in mid/late March. Any accommodation recommendations?
Old 02-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We plan to end in Mazatlan in mid/late March. Any accommodation recommendations?
This is my first time there so I have no idea. We have 3 weeks in a time share owned by someone my girlfriend knows, and then 1 week at a resort hotel that we received for going on a time share pitch.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote