Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-19-2017, 06:31 AM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
No, but I've been to Fire Cat in Patpong.
Patpong used to be the grownup disneyland!
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatguy View Post
Patpong used to be the grownup disneyland!

To each their own.

I was in Thailand in 1998 for a week-long business trip with my boss. One of the local managers took us out one night to show us around Bangkok. We were taken to watch some kick boxing (the national sport), the Patpong night market and a nearby go-go club or two.

What I recall from the club(s) ...10-15 young Thai ladies, all wearing the same color (neon green) bathing suits in slightly different styles, standing up on stage hanging on to brass poles, looking bored and lamely grooving to the music while an audience of mostly old 'western' men ogled them. When the music stopped, the 'dancers' would drop their tops for a minute. I was told that a few bills (maybe ~$20) handed to the Mama-san would 'connect' you to the dancer of your choice.

And the kick boxing venue was a bit 'different'. We watched a few rounds and then noticed that during the breaks, the [male] fighters would disappear for a few minutes and reemerge dressed as women in floor-length ball gowns. They'd then stroll/troll through the mostly western male audience looking for customers.

Then I'd read in the English-language newspaper about how rural families often sent their kids to Bangkok to be part of the sex trade with their earnings being sent back to support the families back in the sticks. The AIDs epidemic was well underway then, but the families refused to believe it, saying that it was government propaganda designed to reduce the money the families would receive by scaring people out of becoming sex workers.

From this gal's perspective, the whole place was kind of sad and depressing.

omnie

Save
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I worked with former and current military members who had many tales of the sex trade in Thailand. One man described how he tried to persuade another man to purchase a Thai club girl's favors - "Where else could a guy like you get a beautiful girl to go to bed with you?" Loathsomely pragmatic.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #44
gone traveling

Yes. I could get drunk for less elsewhere.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #45
Administrator

It was about 1983. My brother and his wife took my girlfriend and me to the Playboy Club in Columbus, OH, where he was apparently a member. I think he just wanted to show off for his older brother. I fear I was not appropriately impressed. The bunnies were pretty enough, but the whole concept just seemed odd.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I were staying in a hotel in London a 2 or 3 years ago. There was a Playboy Club just down the street. My wife had gone to a Playboy club in NY during her younger days and wanted to see one again. I had never been to one. So we arranged to go there for drinks and dinner.

The bunnies were beautiful, and those we met seemed impressed when my wife told them she had been a bunny in the past. But then she explained she meant she had been dressed as the Easter Bunny at an event near our home.

As I recall it was a nice place with good service and good food. We had a fun evening traveling back in time a bit.
Dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Late 60's, just after I turned 21, a close friend treated me to a night at the PB club in Chi. It was quite nice in terms of decor. The food was good. The entertainment was okay - not great. One thing that made me feel really terrible: As just two young guys, not dressed as elegantly as the typical guest, we were seated near the entrance to the food/drink area. The bunnies came and went through the area often which was sort of treat to a midwestern hick like me. But then I noticed one particular bunny sneaking drinks (alcohol). In the time we sat there, she must have downed 4 or 5. At her size, she must have been sloshed by the end of the evening. I could tell she was hiding her activities from her co-workers and the management. I just happened to be in the perfect position to see this go down. I wondered what would cause a young, attractive girl in a "glamorous" j*b to drink like that. It's something that's stuck with me for almost 50 years. Funny what affects you and what you remember. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #48

Went to the one in Denver 70's ish.
Not much happening at the time besides a few bunnies strolling and making small talk. What I remember most is the fact that we had to rent a sport coat from them before we could enter.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #49

Didn't Larry Flynt try the Hustler clubs never been to neither one .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #50

One of my best friends was actually a bunny at the NYC playboy club. So the thing about it was, it was a lot of tourist. I mean me and my friends generally didn't hang out at studio 54 or Playboy club simply because it wasn't a real "disco" to us. there were simply way better night clubs that us New Yorkers went to. So IMO it was corny.
It's like when people ask me where to go eat in the theater district. I just don't know because I wouldn't eat in the theater district.