Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are planning for a Canadian parks vacation next year starting in July. We'll be hiking in:
1) Banff 4 days
2) Jasper 6 days
3) Waterton 5 days

I was thinking about flying Air Canada (from SFO) and adding another Canadian destination to this i.e. open jaws flights. We've done the Vancouver-Victoria areas. Maybe Montreal would be nice but I don't see all that much exciting on TripAdvisor. Any thoughts on other destinations and activities in the mid-July time frame?

Montreal in July

Montreal Jazz Festival, 28 June - 8 July 2017
Festival International de Jazz de Montréal - Accueil

Just For Laughs, July 11-30 2017
Schedule

Canada will be celebrating its 150th anniversary in 2017 and July 1 (Canada Day) will be special. Expect lots of local events wherever you go.
Participate - Canada 150 - Canada.ca

Barcelona is rainy and cool in February (41 mm on average and highs of 14 C). Make sure to take your umbrella.:dance:
I read that October is the wettest month in Barcelona followed by September. Based on that we packed umbrellas and raincoats as we will visit in late September.

Last edited:
Thanks Nemo and Meadbh for the interesting ideas in Canada. Cities are often a challenge for us, especially in North America (as compared to Europe with it's historical context).

I read that October is the wettest month in Barcelona followed by September. Based on that we packed umbrellas and raincoats as we will visit in late September.
Looks like we might get drenched with thunderstorms in October (12% chance), but thunderstorms are more prevalent in September (18%).

But the difference between average precipitation (30%) and worst precipitation (35%) isn't that big in Barcelona. I just can't worry about such things (but will take the rain coat and umbrella, as usual).

Attachments

• barcelonarain.png
    barcelonarain.png
    60 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thanks Nemo and Meadbh for the interesting ideas in Canada. Cities are often a challenge for us, especially in North America (as compared to Europe with it's historical context).
When we lived in Alberta, we combined the trip to Waterton with a trip though the Crowsnest Pass and added stops in Windermere and Radium Hot Springs on the way to Lake Louise and Banff.

If you must fly a long way east, my vote would be Quebec City with Montreal if time permits (you will need time).

When we lived in Alberta, we combined the trip to Waterton with a trip though the Crowsnest Pass and added stops in Windermere and Radium Hot Springs on the way to Lake Louise and Banff.

If you must fly a long way east, my vote would be Quebec City with Montreal if time permits (you will need time).
I'll look up those 2 places. We'll be coming from SFO to Calgary, then drive to Banff. After that we go to Jasper and then down to Waterton (7+ hour drive).

Perhaps we could fit in another few stops on our way back to the Calgary airport from Waterton.

I'll look up those 2 places. We'll be coming from SFO to Calgary, then drive to Banff. After that we go to Jasper and then down to Waterton (7+ hour drive).
The best routing would be Calgary south to Waterton then west to Windermere then north and east to Lake Louise. Then to Banff and back and north to Columbia Icefields and on to Jasper.

From Jasper you could use Google to plot the return trip based on timing. If you can fly out of Edmonton, you would avoid retracing. Otherwise, returning on the Icefields Parkway is not too bad.

Next month I'm going on a weeklong hiking trip in Crater Lake NP in southern Oregon. I've bicycled up to and around Rim Drive a few times but I never had the opportunity to hike there. It's such a glorious place, I'm really looking forward to seeing it from another perspective, away from the paved road.

DW and I took the Garfield Peak trail from the lodge. It was great!

We are leaving tomorrow and driving from WV to Welshpool, New Brunswick Canada. We are going to the Roosevelt Campobello International Park for a couple of days and then driving to Acadia National Park for a few days of hiking. We will then go to Rockland ME and do a 6 day trip on the Schooner Heritage. I need to thank Options for posting about a blog that he was reading, Thoughts of a Bag Lady in Waiting. I started reading this lady's blog and she mentioned going on the Schooner Heritage on several trips. Options mentioned this blog on 7/24/15 and we sailed on the Schooner Heritage 9/13/15 and met the author's cousin and her spouse. The author of the blog, Linda Myers, contacted me and wanted to know if we are going this year. We will be meeting her and her spouse, and her cousin and her spouse on the Schooner Heritage this year. I am really looking forward to this trip. I love that people on this forum share so many things here. So, thank you to Options, for usmeeting new people and sharing new experiences!

We went to Mammoth Lakes for a week and hiked in the Eastern Sierras including the Tioga Pass area of Yosemite. Here is a pic of the Saddlebags Lake area with a small pond in the foreground (left of center). There was a 2 foot long garter snake in the shale at the pond edge. He (or she?) was hunting for thumbnail sized little frogs which were pretty abundant.

We did some watercolor sketching on the hikes every day. This time we took along light weight 3 legged stools. It is amazingly hard to find 2 rocks suitable for sitting on that are just in the right place for the sketch one wants to do.

20qx30g.jpg

Just spent a couple of days on Mackinac Island.

It was great. The weather was perfect - low 70's - not bad for late August. We walked the 8 mile loop road around the island. M-185 is the only state highway with no cars on it. Lots of bikes though.

We also took a sunset cruise to watch the sun set over the Mackinac Bridge. DW was mildly skeptical but she loved it. It helped that the water was calm, the breeze light, and the sunset was beautiful. Aside: it was our anniversary and another couple on board was also celebrating their anniversary and another had just gotten married. I guess we all had the same idea.

We also stopped in Traverse City, which we like a lot. And Bay City - just because it had Marriott's Courtyard along our drive up. But it turned out to be a very nice little city with a redeveloping waterfront and at least one restaurant that was excellent (we only tried one).

We cleared out before the real crowds showed up for Labor Day Weekend!

On May 07 this year we booked a post transatlantic cruise flight, Dec 02/16, Miami to Toronto with American Airlines @ $183.84 Canadian P.P.

We just received a notification from Expedia that the flight time has been delayed a couple hours (no biggee), but while confirming this on the A.A. site we noticed the price is now $378.00 Canadian P.P.

So..sometimes it's good to wait and perhaps find deals, but other times it's perhaps even greater to book early.

Nemo2 : you got a great deal there. Especially considering it's across the magic border where flights seem to go up $100 easily.
When we would fly from Chicago to FL, any time I could book a flight for 250 or less USD, I'd snag it.

DW has settled on a 2 week driving tour of New England for our autumn holiday in early October. We have taken an Airbnb cottage in Cape Cod for a week and then will drive around NH, VT, CT and RI for the remaining time. She wants to see Marthas Vineyard and some sort of festival in MA (I'm a little hazy on the details) and I want to go to Salem (right time of year, right ?) and a bit of hiking in Vermont. Any other ideas from New England locals ?
She has also bought us tickets to see a jack'o'lantern display in Providence, RI that looks like fun.
Coincidentally, this will be my first time in RI. It brings my state count now to 46/50 (missing WY, SD, HI, AL)
My province count is 7/10 (missing SK, MB, NL) and my territory count is 0/4.
They are FIRE goals to look forward to.

DW has settled on a 2 week driving tour of New England for our autumn holiday in early October. We have taken an Airbnb cottage in Cape Cod for a week and then will drive around NH, VT, CT and RI for the remaining time. She wants to see Marthas Vineyard and some sort of festival in MA (I'm a little hazy on the details) and I want to go to Salem (right time of year, right ?) and a bit of hiking in Vermont. Any other ideas from New England locals ?
She has also bought us tickets to see a jack'o'lantern display in Providence, RI that looks like fun.
Coincidentally, this will be my first time in RI. It brings my state count now to 46/50 (missing WY, SD, HI, AL)

We're in RI now. Newport is really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We spent several days in Quebec City, then on to eastern Quebec and Gaspe. Great trip.

With DH in failing health we've scaled way back on travel. Fortunately, my stepson will be here next week to stay with him so I can go off to a 45th HS reunion in Ohio.

I didn't particularly like the social aspects of HS; I just really enjoyed learning. I ventured to the 40th after hanging out on the class FaceBook page and getting a feel for who was up to what. I had a great time at the 40th- it was strangely like meeting new friends with whom you had a lot in common. So, I'm looking forward to this one.

just booked an 8 day Mexico Cruise over New Year's. Perks include free internet, free laundry, bar setup, nightly snacks.

This sounds like something we should do. I wish I could find a really detailed itinerary to work off of. Having lived only on the west coast, the east is an unlocked mystery. Have only been on very limited trips there. I've tried to look at a few New England trips and wind up confused about ground transportation issues.

We went to Mammoth Lakes for a week and hiked in the Eastern Sierras including the Tioga Pass area of Yosemite. Here is a pic of the Saddlebags Lake area with a small pond in the foreground (left of center). There was a 2 foot long garter snake in the shale at the pond edge. He (or she?) was hunting for thumbnail sized little frogs which were pretty abundant.

We did some watercolor sketching on the hikes every day. This time we took along light weight 3 legged stools. It is amazingly hard to find 2 rocks suitable for sitting on that are just in the right place for the sketch one wants to do.

20qx30g.jpg

Nice! We are headed to that area late September. The Fall color should be lovely. Our cabin will have a wall heater and fireplace-will need heat if we get some real weather. Love the hiking in the eastern Sierra. I also paint watercolor,and I think I'll bring a travel kit this time. Usually I just take reference photos and paint when I get home, but you've inspired me to take my paints along!

The long awaited trip to the Big Island - Hawaii starts tomorrow. Since we are overnighting in Seattle, I am looking forward to a fun dinner out there and a chance to see a glance of the city....

Forecast is rain, rain, and more rain but I have a good jacket and plan to get outdoors as much as I can!

We are taking a cruise out of NYC area to Bermuda in mid October... First time so if anyone has been there would love to hear your recommendations re: anything!

The servers are all tipped automatically, so for best service, read their name tag and say their name. Not so important for the assigned servers, like cabin steward, but for deck servers, they don't want to upset someone who knows their name, since that can end up on the cruise-end survey. Besides, it's fun to build a bit of recognition, and you can say something nice on the survey.

Don't even THINK of bidding on art, no matter how many glasses of champagne they give you; if you bid, you're paying...it goes on your on board account.

Going to Thailand and Malaysia on Monday. Round trip from San Francisco to Bangkok is amazingly cheap (again). $617. Once there I meet up with a friend and we fly to Kuala Lumpur for a couple of nights. Then we fly to Kuching in Borneo. That will be our base city. I have 4 tours scheduled through a tour company call Borneo Adventures. Then back to Thailand and a trip to Koh Samui and Pattaya. I will be gone a month for this trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom