Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleeping in the shadow of the Matterhorn next two nights.

October 2017 - National Harbor courtesy of my wife's employer. :)

December 2017 - Celebrity Cruise - 7 days in the Caribbean

May 2018 - Toying with the idea of running up to Chincoteague for four/five days and going to Assateague National Park.

August 2019 Transatlantic Sailing from Denmark to US (visiting 7 ports.)

Michael

Making plans for 1 1/2 weeks at Glacier NP, including 2 days on the Canadian side in Waterton.

DW and I just got back from a week in Redding CA, we spent a lot of time hiking in Lassen National Park, visited the Whiskeytown Recreation Area, Burney Falls after 3 days in Napa. Wonderful time.

Making plans for 1 1/2 weeks at Glacier NP, including 2 days on the Canadian side in Waterton.

A couple of friends and I are tentatively planning to hike the approximately 110 miles of the CDT within Glacier sometime in 2018. Have a good trip.

FN

have a great trip , we are set for november

Next April will be a milestone birthday for DW and I asked her if she had any desire for a special trip to commemorate it.

She has been doing a half marathon a month for a couple of years now so that's her big activity. She immediately went online and started looking for interesting races.

Within five minutes she found one in Connemara, Ireland (near Galway). I also got a kick out of the URL of their website: connemarathon.com.

So she's going to think about it for a bit and decide. If so, we'll probably fly to London, which we love dearly, then after a few days fly over to Dublin, which I've always wanted to visit, then head across to the race and then back the same way.

If anyone has any information to share about that part of the world, I'd love to hear it. Neither of us has ever been to Ireland.

If anyone has any information to share about that part of the world, I'd love to hear it. Neither of us has ever been to Ireland.

Haven't been there for 30 years, but if you're renting a car, going down and around and doing the Ring of Kerry is nice.....then there's the The Rock of Cashel...and Tipperary isn't as far as the song would have you believe....and then there's Devil's Bit....and then and then and then.....

Oh, and knowing there are many food & bar aficionados hereabouts, I will admit to visiting this place:

And here's the lady herself:

23htwxw.jpg

Last edited:
Next April will be a milestone birthday for DW and I asked her if she had any desire for a special trip to commemorate it.

She has been doing a half marathon a month for a couple of years now so that's her big activity. She immediately went online and started looking for interesting races.

Within five minutes she found one in Connemara, Ireland (near Galway). I also got a kick out of the URL of their website: connemarathon.com.

So she's going to think about it for a bit and decide. If so, we'll probably fly to London, which we love dearly, then after a few days fly over to Dublin, which I've always wanted to visit, then head across to the race and then back the same way.

Do it! You will love it. As a born and bred Irishwoman (albeit from Cork) I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Just send me a PM.

PS. See Dublin, but get out and about, for God's sake. That's where the good stuff is. Rent a car and see some of the Wild Atlantic Way.
http://www.wildatlanticway.com/home

Last edited:
Pack umbrellas?

Probably wiser to unpack them. :LOL: (Although we had beautiful weather when we visited. Coming from Saudi Arabia though, the green made our eyes ache.)

Just heard from my son...finally. He is hiking in Albania. He claims it is one of he nicest spots he has been. And he has been all over. Including travelling alone through the 'stans' for several months.

What's the appeal, wild life in their "natural habitat?"

As opposed to just going to zoos?

For one thing, you don't experience the interaction between species when, as in zoos, they are totally separated from one another.

Put another way...why travel when you can see it all on TV?

Not too exciting seeing animals in zoos. But how long does one have to stake out to see any action in real life, compared to watching wonderful footage on youtube that professional photographers spend days in the field just to catch a few minutes of the interesting stuff?

Talk about seeing animals in zoo, I recall one time in San Diego zoo, outside the cage of hippos or rhinos, I don't remember. A woman stopped to read a sign posted outside the fence/moat. It said something like "Beware of animal spray".

She next looked up at the beast in the enclosure, which at that moment was facing away and its derriere towards her. She immediately thought of the worst possible thing, exclaimed "I'm outta here", and scurried away.

But how long does one have to stake out to see any action in real life, compared to watching wonderful footage on youtube that professional photographers spend days in the field just to catch a few minutes of the interesting stuff?

You've convinced me.......I shall spend the rest of my days in front of the TV, vicariously enjoying the world through the efforts of others.........and, were I younger, I'd immediately cease chasing women, and totally focus on reading about the exploits of various international lotharios.

Last edited:
Hey, I like travel too, and have done more than any people I know (though less than many here).

But going to Africa involves too much hardship for what it offers, it seems like, compared to the easier destinations that I can manage by myself. One has to pick the lower fruits first. Lots, and lots of fruits I have not picked.

You would probably enjoy the connesseur experience at the Guinness brewery. Also the Trinity College library in Dublin is amazing. Rent a small car if you're driving - roads in the back country are very narrow. Ring of Kerry, Cliffs of Moher, Killarney are great road trips out of Dublin.

Our best airfare deal was Aerlingus - Chicago to Dublin, then to London heathrow after an hour layover. Then 5 days later, flew London-Dublin. Then 5 days later flew Dublin- Chicago.

I have a suggestion: Take the train and spend a few days in the Lake District, then train to Holyhead and take the Fast Ferry to Dublin.
We did it in reverse order, however. We are happy to answer any questions
Below is the story of our trip:

Attachments

• IRELAND 2009.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Travelling in Thailand currently and staying in Chiang Mai for a month. I'm semi retired and run an online business, so I love the community here, many entrepreneurs and online business owners, great meetups on different topics and lots of things to do. But haven't been able to find any other early retirement enthusiasts or groups. Any other forum members here, or were here recently?

I am headed to Churchill Manitoba to see Polar bears in November 2018.

For 2017, Glacier National park in September, Massachusetts in November, and Hawaii in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom