Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aruba this winter. Throwing flip flops, books and a bathing suit in a backpack. Chillaxing!

We were also there earlier in the year; you don't really need to pack anything much more than what you listed! Can also answer questions if you have any -

I left Aruba on Thursday. The island has extremely low unemployment and a decent economy. Crime is very low on the island (in fact, some of the lowest rates of crime in the Caribbean from what I've read). Riding the bus and cars through the island I didn't see a bunch of "mcmansions" but I also didn't see the level of poverty that you can clearly see in places like the Dominican Republic etc. I walked around at night without any fear for my safety (though I don't know that I'd do so down in the refinery town alone at night, but I also wouldn't walk around alone at night in College Park in Atlanta...).

Good to know.

I know someone who visited St. Maartens and when bored, ventured off the resort and said the place was "ghetto."

But under normal conditions, they could eat at some places that the locals frequent.

I would still be leery about places where there are a lot of machetes around though. ;)

Good to know.

I know someone who visited St. Maartens and when bored, ventured off the resort and said the place was "ghetto."

But under normal conditions, they could eat at some places that the locals frequent.

I would still be leery about places where there are a lot of machetes around though. ;)

I'd be very surprised to find many people with machetes in Aruba. There wasn't that much vegetation to worry about. Even the palm trees are imported lol.

How about un-planning some travel? I decided to cancel a Baltic cruise I had already booked for next year.

While checking the State Department website to verify whether we needed visas for the St. Petersburg port call, I found this sentence:
U.S. citizens entering Russia as cruise passengers should be aware that a number of active duty and retired U.S. military members have experienced targeted harassment by the Russian authorities.

Since I'm retired military, it got my attention. Even if this is extremely rare and unlikely, the possibility would stress me to the point of detracting from my enjoyment. So that's a bit of travel I don't need.

Went to Peace Arch Park on the Canada/Washington border

I couldn't believe how laxed the patrol was on the border, there's a checkpoint for vehicle crossings and I'm sure they look at credentials but anyone can cross on foot undetected, right on both sides of the border are neigborhoods

I couldn't believe how laxed the patrol was on the border, there's a checkpoint for vehicle crossings and I'm sure they look at credentials but anyone can cross on foot undetected, right on both sides of the border are neigborhoods

That's the reason they call it the longest undefended border in the world.

Many folks don't know, but Canada has some weird laws about the border.

For example, currently there are some illegal immigrants in the USA, and they are going into Canada. They walk across fields etc. and end up in Canada, where they get to claim landed immigrant status.

If they drove up to a border crossing, they would be turned back as they are not allowed entry and are forced to go back to the USA.

So if you sneak in, it's better than trying to legally enter. :facepalm:

For example, currently there are some illegal immigrants in the USA, and they are going into Canada. They walk across fields etc. and end up in Canada, where they get to claim landed immigrant status.

The people you refer to are mostly refugees. If they enter Canada they may seek refugee status in Canada. There is no guarantee that their applications will be successful. They are not entitled to "claim landed immigrant status".

Please check your facts before asserting something like this. And let's keep politics out of this thread.

The challenge for us is once they sneak into Canada we have no way of sending them back across the border. Once in Canada they become subject to our immigration laws and appeals process.

The biggest issue with those crossing the border is undeclared firearms and drugs. They used to give warnings on these. Now they charge criminally. And if there are multiple undeclared firearms and large quantities of drugs their cars are impounded as well.

How about un-planning some travel? I decided to cancel a Baltic cruise I had already booked for next year.

While checking the State Department website to verify whether we needed visas for the St. Petersburg port call, I found this sentence:

Since I'm retired military, it got my attention. Even if this is extremely rare and unlikely, the possibility would stress me to the point of detracting from my enjoyment. So that's a bit of travel I don't need.
That is a wise choice. Travel is supposed to be the fun.

The people you refer to are mostly refugees. If they enter Canada they may seek refugee status in Canada. There is no guarantee that their applications will be successful. They are not entitled to "claim landed immigrant status".

Please check your facts before asserting something like this. And let's keep politics out of this thread.

I didn't think I was saying anything political, I was not alleging any reasons for the actions of these folks who cross the border.

You are correct, I used the wrong old term landed immigrant.

They actually seek asylum when crossing the border as authorities "process asylum applications" .

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...have-walked-into-quebec-since-canada-day.html

Did someone call?

Attachments

• 149775.jpg
    149775.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 24
DW and I plan travel a year+ in advance. We just returned from 3-1/2 weeks in Europe (including three days in Reykjavik) that we booked last year. Already booked for 2018 are a 28-day cruise from Venice to Rome and a cruise from Lisbon to Malaga, with a week after in Granada, and we're in discussion on a 2019 trip including Paris and a Normandy river cruise.

I love borders, and one of my favourite ones in the whole world is this one. I looked it up before our trip to Vancouver last year and DW indulged my geeky desire to visit it.

In the picture, my left foot is in the US and my right foot is in Canada. The official border crossing is a mile to the right. We hadn't yet crossed officially into the US when this picture was taken, so DW was convinced that if I went any further we would be caught on CCTV and denied entry, or perhaps taken out by border patrol snipers. About 700 feet to the left is a beach, where again the crossing is completely unmarked.

Cr3955OWIAAmKb6.jpg

Here is the situation on Street View. On the US side is Point Roberts, WA, which is already quite a special place in itself (and which, interestingly, has no Street View coverage). The path I'm standing on, to the left of the fence, is about three feet wide and very well-worn. Marijuana is legal on my left foot but not on my right (although, judging by the number of "medical marijuana pharmacies" we saw in BC, it's not very hard to get hold of).

If you swing that Street View image to the right you will see a house with three cars in the driveway. Between the two red cars, there is a gap in the hedge with a bench in it, so the homeowners can sit with a beer and swing their legs in American air.

On our trip last winter we took a bus from David, Panama to San Jose, Costa Rica. The border process was very interesting.

The bus stopped at the border, on the Panama side. They unloaded our luggage. We took it into the office. Our fingerprints were taken, presumably to check against our entry to Panama a few weeks earlier, and our bag was presented for examination. While in the office some fellow hit us up for $1. each. Not certain why but we simply gave it to him.

After than, we had to walk for about 100m to the Costa Rica side. No signage whatsoever. We followed the others, like sheep. In to the office, presented out documents. Got a form to complete. Then it was outside to a covered area near the buses where our bags were again presented for inspection.

Certainly not a big deal but very different in some ways but very similar to the land crossing we did from rural Cambodia to rural Vietnam. Same issue with about 100m of what appeared to be no man's land.

After than, we had to walk for about 100m to the Costa Rica side. No signage whatsoever. We followed the others, like sheep. In to the office, presented out documents. Got a form to complete. Then it was outside to a covered area near the buses where our bags were again presented for inspection.

Sounds like when I crossed into Belize from Mexico circa 1990.

Thinking of Western Ukraine and Carpathians Small-Group Bus Tour from Kiev $1150 plus adding on Private Tour of Jewish Community in Kiev . Has anyone used Viators? Haven't done a group tour but a small group might not be bad ... especially in Ukraine https://m.viator.com/tour/Kiev/West...Group-Bus-Tour-from-Kiev/0-16560P104/info.htm

Yes but never something that expensive, mostly day trips under $150.

Viator contracts with local tour operators around the world and their prices are usually around the same price as getting it directly from the local operator, at least for tours around $100.

Maybe there's more room with a high price, multi day and multi city tour.

Main advantage may be pretty good customer service and you can put your airline FF number to get some miles.

We are boarding the plane for Berlin this afternoon (BA business class with beds). Then Paris for a week, car down the eastern section, Nice for a week then home. Glad to escape the clouds that have moved in on us here in Vancouver.

BTW most of the refugee claimants are in tents just across the Quebec border. They have to prove oppression by the US government. I suppose most of them were illegal.

I am jealous!

Berlin has been near the top of my list for some time. Enjoy. From my understanding this is a good time of year to visit.

I am jealous!

Berlin has been near the top of my list for some time. Enjoy. From my understanding this is a good time of year to visit.
Yes us too. At least it is a good time to leave PNW. In fact this is the start of our adventures east beyond Berlin.:dance:

We are going back to the US Virgin Islands as soon as they will let us in to volunteer post Irma and Maria. The damage they got from Irma was much worse than FL and now Maria is imminent. Very sad. The people there are Americans and need much help to rebuild their Islands after this unfortunate devastation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom