Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used Rick Steves' France 2011 and Hertz. We also used VRBO, Venere, Booking and HotWire. We did all the booking with an 8yo HP laptop with wifi. We are home now, having returned from Nice yesterday. While in Nice, we visited Cannes, Antibes, Cagnes sur mer, St Paul de Vence, Monoco, and Menton. We also visited some friends in their villa north of Vence.

(We did a Med Cruise in 2005 with Celebrity. That got us going!)

Thank you for the information on your trip...and the picture is a wonderful incentive to get me going on doing some planning. We have miles to use and want to do more of France by train, car and boat. We are really feeling that the saying, 'so many places and so little time'...to be very true...so we've got to get going! We've been on at least 4 med. cruises..and always say we've got to come back to explore more of one city, region or another....guess there is not time like the present. Glad you are enjoying life too!!

Thanks again.

We did Italy last year, Rome to Lake Como for a month, and France this year for a month. Next year is a custom cruise on the islands off the Dalmation Coast plus some add-on time, either southern Italy or Turkey.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for sharing the tips of your trips and picture.

I am checking on different deals from this Vacations To Go website/links for either The Bahamas or the Carribean. Do you know if there are other websites other than this Vacations To Go website ?

Thanks !

LS

Flights and hotels booked for my trip to Barcelona in November. This will be my second time to Spain but I did not do Barcelona in my first trip to Spain. Looking forward to it and esp the food.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for sharing the tips of your trips and picture.

I am checking on different deals from this Vacations To Go website/links for either The Bahamas or the Carribean. Do you know if there are other websites other than this Vacations To Go website ?

Thanks !

LS

We've used www.onlinevacationcenter.com a few times. They've come up with good specials on cruises. Usually giving free gratuities, onboard cash, etc. We got an excellent land/cruise trip to Alaska on Princess through them. But, as you know, it seems you've got to keep checking almost daily on the prices so you don't miss something good. Hope you get a good deal!!

OK, I checked out this onlinevacationcenter.com and I quite liked it.

The layout of it is different from Vacations To Go, but it's all personal preferences. However, there are couple of features this onlinevacationcenter.com is more superior than Vacations To Go is that it gives you online total costs including taxes, and online choices of cabins available (including number of cabins still available, location of cabin etc ...) whereas for Vacations To Go I have to call to find out the availability, taxes, costs of 3rd & 4th passensgers in the same cabin ... things like that !

But overall I like both websites.

LS

I like both websites too. www.cruise.com is also one of Online Vacation's sites. Do you also look at www.cruisecritic.com? Their cruise deals are linked to Vacations to Go I think, but over the years have picked up lots of good info from the boards and cruise reviews by passengers and professionals. We're always on the lookout for a good cruise...its a great way to travel. We do want to do one more driving vacation in France...might be our last as we like the luxury of cruising! Want to try river cruising as well. Hope you find something good!

LS[/QUOTE]

I registered with Vacations To Go in the past, and thought that was the only site I have checking, but now I started to check out onlinevacationcenter.com

I will check out cruise.com and cruisecritic.com as well, I am hoping to find a good deal that will fit our Xmas schedules (kids need to go back to school). That's why we only have limited choices.

Thanks again for the 2 new links.

LS

Flights and hotels booked for my trip to Barcelona in November. This will be my second time to Spain but I did not do Barcelona in my first trip to Spain. Looking forward to it and esp the food.

Sounds like a wonderful holiday. If you get the time, take the train out to Montserrat. It is a wonderful day trip with wonderful scenery and great views. Also, don't miss the gondola ride in the city at sunset for unbelievable views of the city.

Have an amazing time!

Lined up for the next 12 months or so:

Kansas City, MO
Switzerland
France
Memphis, TN
San Antonio, TX
Spain
NYC

Lined up for the next 12 months or so:

Kansas City, MO
Switzerland
France
Memphis, TN
San Antonio, TX
Spain
NYC
Lucky you :)

Would you mind sharing how you spread out your trips and for how long each ?

Any preparations prior to the trips ?

Thanks

LS

OK, I checked out this onlinevacationcenter.com and I quite liked it.

The layout of it is different from Vacations To Go, but it's all personal preferences. However, there are couple of features this onlinevacationcenter.com is more superior than Vacations To Go is that it gives you online total costs including taxes, and online choices of cabins available (including number of cabins still available, location of cabin etc ...) whereas for Vacations To Go I have to call to find out the availability, taxes, costs of 3rd & 4th passensgers in the same cabin ... things like that !

But overall I like both websites.

LS
For Cruises I have used Cruisecompete.com and got some good deals. different travel agents bid on your cruise.
I found a really good agent on that site and pretty much now just use her

Lucky you :)

Would you mind sharing how you spread out your trips and for how long each ?

Any preparations prior to the trips ?

Thanks

LS

The way the trips are spread out is sometimes out of my hands. For example, I am going to KC for a wedding, so I couldn't really time that particular trip. But I try to give myself 5-6 months between overseas trips.

Domestic trips are usually 3-7 days long. Overseas trips at least 10 days long. We have pets waiting for us at home, so we prefer to keep our trips short.

Preparations are usually minimal. I generally do some online research to identify points of interest at my destination. That's about it.

One more trip planned for 2011 to Central America. Every year at this time I say to DH, that's it, we're staying home next year. It never works, but so far nothing on the schedule past that trip. Although it will be our 40th anniversary next year. Hmmm....

For Cruises I have used Cruisecompete.com and got some good deals. different travel agents bid on your cruise.
I found a really good agent on that site and pretty much now just use her
Wow, another site for me to check out, thanks !

I did book a cruise to the Bahamas & Key West using VacationsToGo last week, but it doesn't hurt to check out this Cruisecompete.com.

LS

We have used cruisecompete in the past. You need to be careful because there is one responder who invariably provided us with a lowball quote-the same same provide three times in a row. We have, through reponses from cruisecompete, ended up with a very good on line TA. Given the economy, we now book within the cancellation window. Prices can drop significantly after final payment is due...anywhere between 75 and 90 days out.

We got to PV for the season last Saturday. Still pretty hot but we know it will cool off in a couple of weeks.

When I first called VacationsToGo in early Oct for this Jan 2 cruise, it was about $200 less than when we booked it at the end of Oct. i.e. the cost went up by about $200 within 3 weeks.

I noticed that the lowest price was early Oct, then went up 1 week later, then 3 weeks later. Now I checked it again, it went up again.

In comparison, the cost is about $300 more than the early Oct.

It is not uncommon for cruise prices to go up and down. You can get a price decrease or sometimes the category pricing is changed and you can get an upgrade. We deal with an on line TA so we have to check the prices ourself.

If you see a price decrease (outside of the cancellation window), jump on it immediately and get the cruise repriced. We have seen prices go down for one or two days, and then back up.

We will only deal with on line TA's who have the cruise ship charge our credit card (vs the agency), do not charge for cancellations, and do not charge for repricing. Additionally, we usually expect a TA provided on board credit equal to anywhere from 8 to 12 percent of the base fare, ie fare before taxes.

We were first given $25 OBC from the on line TA, but after talking with her a a few minutes, she gave me $50 OBC if I booked with her. So we took it and booked the cruise with her.

Taking a past mid-night flight to Barcelona tonight. It's gonna be a long flight from Hong Kong. Looking forward to a good holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom