Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from a road trip from San Francisco to Portland, Mt. Rainier National Park, and Seattle. This is my second solo road trip since retiring. This link is to my movie of the trip.

Nice!

aaronc879 said:
I considered going to Yellowstone this summer but being unemployed and not FI I couldn't justify it. But if you have an extra seat come up my way and i'll hitch a ride. I'm only 100 miles north of you.

Post pictures so I can see what I missed.

Don't worry, it will still be there when you are ready!

Norway - here I come! I heard it is very expensive there, so I've mentally prepared myself for that too.

Kruger National Park

We are headed to South Africa from Perth next week. This is something I never thought we could afford- but Kruger National Park is very reasonable as you can stay in rondavels, or camp and self drive yourself. We have 2 days driving to the park, along the Panorama route, and then 2 days in the park, then 4 days in Balule at a very reasonably priced lodge - Toroyaka.
This wasn't even on my bucket list... I need to get a bigger bucket:rolleyes: I still have a few more months of work and then head back to the US.

We are headed to South Africa from Perth next week. This is something I never thought we could afford- but Kruger National Park is very reasonable as you can stay in rondavels, or camp and self drive yourself. We have 2 days driving to the park, along the Panorama route, and then 2 days in the park, then 4 days in Balule at a very reasonably priced lodge - Toroyaka.
This wasn't even on my bucket list... I need to get a bigger bucket:rolleyes: I still have a few more months of work and then head back to the US.
If you're driving up through Louis Trichardt, (perhaps from Pretoria), we stayed overnight (albeit in 1983, so things might have changed), here, and found it quite enjoyable.

(Perhaps try this link.)

Last edited:
Heading from Toronto to Vancouver and connecting with the Galiano Island ferry for a few days stay. Connection is tight so I am hoping the plane is on time. It was an hour late getting to Toronto on the 10th!

When the ferry between Victoria and Vancouver took us squeezing between these islands, I told myself that I wanted to visit one of them some day, as they looked very interesting and picturesque. But then, I said the same thing about San Juan Island, and have not done so.

So many interesting places, so little time and money. Speaking of the latter, we are not even allowed to use the $10K freebie money on travel. If that does not drive one crazy, I do not know what would.

Last edited:
Norway - here I come! I heard it is very expensive there, so I've mentally prepared myself for that too.

First day of our trip and the airline upgraded us to first class.:dance: Plane was delayed by half an hour but who cares when you get such a wonderful upgrade.

Mazatlan in March, Macchu Pichu and Galapagos in April next year. Italy in October this year.

When the ferry between Victoria and Vancouver took us squeezing between these islands, I told myself that I wanted to visit one of them some day, as they looked very interesting and picturesque. But then, I said the same thing about San Juan Island, and have not done so....
We have spent many holidays in the islands, the Olympic Pen., Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island. Now we are aiming further afield, doing bucket list items.:dance:

(Made it to Galiano even though the plane was 10 minutes late.)

I have been entertaining the idea of, on the way to Alaska, putting my RV on a ferry to Victoria and exploring the northern end of the island. So many things I want to do!

One time in a flight to Europe, the passenger behind us summoned a stewardess about 1/2 hr into the flight. We overheard the conversation. She had boarded the wrong plane!

My memory is fuzzy, but this was in early 2000s and could have been after 9/11. The gate attendant obviously did not check the ticket scrupulously.

One time in a flight to Europe, the passenger behind us summoned a stewardess about 1/2 hr into the flight. We overheard the conversation. She had boarded the wrong plane!

My memory is fuzzy, but this was in early 2000s and could have been after 9/11. The gate attendant obviously did not check the ticket scrupulously.

This happened to me on a domestic flight after they changed gates for my flight. It was after 911. Luckily, they announced the flight was heading to Memphis and I jumped up and announced that I was on the wrong flight.

Seen it in SF when flights were delayed by fog and the automatic signs kept displaying the flights that were supposed to be leaving. Gate personnel kept telling everyone to ignore the signs but someone got on our flight that was supposed to be on the next flight. Someone claiming the seat sorted them.

I know of someone from South Africa who came to Canada to visit his sister in St. John's, Newfoundland, and booked a ticket to St. John, New Brunswick. He was surprised that his sister was not at the airport to meet him!

And then there was the couple from England who wanted to see Australia and booked a ticket to Sydney on the Internet. Unfortunately they actually selected Sidney, Nova Scotia. They were a bit perplexed on arrival but the locals took them under their wing and they had a great vacation.

For the English couple, I suspect that the lower price of the tickets to Nova Scotia made them too excited to take a 2nd look at the destination.

NW-Bound said:
For the English couple, I suspect that the lower price of the tickets to Nova Scotia made them too excited to take a 2nd look at the destination.

Exactly. Measure twice, cut once!

Quite a few of our travels were spur-of-the-moment purchases due to low airfare.

For example, we have been to Portland several times, and one time it was because of a special price airfare, plus my wife had a voucher for a free stay at a downtown hotel.

So, we booked the trip and enjoyed it. It was in February. And COLD!

You'll have a great time. It is an amazingly beautiful park.

-- Rita

Heading to Portland, OR this weekend for some sightseeing and photographing. Never been, got a cheap flight. Plan is to drive the Mt. Hood/Columbia River loop Saturday, maybe a loop to the coast and back Sunday, and laze around Portland proper Monday. Any suggestions for Portlandians?

Cruise to Cozumel in October, with some friends. Mostly drinking, eating, gambling, and recreating planned...

Nothing else on the agenda yet, but looking to start on the bucket list:

Europe - Paris, N. Italy/Switzerland/S. Germany
USA - Grand Canyon, Yellowstone

There's an old road that runs parallel to I84 and takes you to Multnomah Falls and other nice spots along the Columbia river.

Portland used to have a weekend market downtown. I don't know if it still goes on. Just strolling through the downtown area was relaxing for us. There's a tram that's free inside the city boundary.

Just a few miles west of downtown is the Rose Garden, on a hill side. Nice to take a stroll.

If heading west to the coast, stop and have lunch at the Tillamook Cheese Factory in, where else but, Tillamook. There's also an air museum.

Last edited:
We are in Punat Croatia in an Italian style villa overlooking their Marina on the island of Krk. Planning a trip to Rab then off the the Istar peninsula and then Zagreb.

Are the Italian villas in Croatia more affordable for vacation rentals than Italian villas in Italy? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom