Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
"DH and a buddy will be leaving on a motorcycle trip August 18th and will be on the road for three to four weeks. Southern most part of their trip will be in New Mexico and they'll make their way to Montana."

Can I come too? Just need to blow the dust off the Harley.
I told him about your post and he said "Sure!" They often pick up friends along the way that will ride a while. Then he saw this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
In late August we plan to hike in Appenzell, Switzerland then head down to Lake Como. Perhaps a drive through France afterwards. Very unstructured trip.

Ck 6
Uh oh, sounds like you've got some wonderful plans. Maybe next time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

We're heading to Madeline Island, in Lake Superior off Bayfield, Wis, in a few weeks. We'll bring our little camper and the kayaks and take the ferry to the island to stay at the Wis State Park there.

We're going to visit friends along the way and arrive at the ferry Labor Day afternoon. Prior to Labor Day, the state park is booked 100% all summer. Looks like, according to the reservation site, bookings are sparse after that. We expect the ferry to be loaded with shore-bound campers when we arrive Labor Day but to be near empty going out to the island. A nice advantage of retirement, camp when popular venues are near empty.

DW and I love it "Up Nort" and also love beaches. We're hoping this location gives us the best of both!

Between now and the Madeline Island trip, we're heading up to northern Minnesota for our second week at "fishing camp" of the summer. A quaint American Plan place with great food, oldish log cabins and wondeful views over a 3k acre lake. Our freezer is already bulging with fish from last autumn and this spring, so I'm thinking this will be primarily a catch and release trip. That means lots of experimenting with different techniques and time to teach DW some new methods.

We'll be heading to the Northeast (New Hampshire with stops along the way) for leaf peeping in late Sept / early Oct.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

3 days at the beach at Topsail island, NC (starting this Saturday).

A week at the beach at Topsail Island, NC in September.

It's looking like a week long cruise to the Bahamas out of Charleston in Jan 2011.

We just returned from a long weekend in Washington DC. Always a fun city!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Boulder and Denver in September for 3 weeks. Its an exploratory trip to see if we like the area. We plan to spend a couple of nights in Estes Park and hike in the RMNP. With DW working, we haven't traveled at all this year.
Just a suggestion:

RoadTrip America - Fort Collins to Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado via Rocky Mountain NP
Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
DW and I and a couple of friends are going on a bike and barge trip to Holland at the end of September. Three days in Amsterdam to finish it off.
We did this; luckily somebody else was driving:

Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Cool, let me know if you do the one in Rehoboth. I live about 30 minutes away. I'll come watch you run past. Even buy you a beer after if you survive.
Will do. If there's anything better than a beer after a marathon, it's a free beer after a marathon!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

We're going to drive to the Columbia River Gorge (Oregon) and do some camping/biking there,

and then continue on to the Couer d'Alene trail in Northern Idaho, and camp and bike there.

It's pretty open ended. When we get bored we'll drive home.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We are were on a three week RV trip visiting my sister for a few days then on to the mountains of central New Mexico. Three days and 400 miles into the trip DD#2 called to say she'd gone by to feed our dogs and our AC compressor was making a strange noise. She looked in the window and could see our digital thermometer reading 90 .

DW couldn't bear the thought of her houseplants roasting and all the candles melting, so we turned the bus around and headed back home. We're sitting in the driveway in the RV waiting for the AC service guy to show up. System is 13 years old - probably time for a new, more efficient unit - and a dip into Uncle Sam's pocket for an Engergy Tax Credit.

If we get it all taken care of in short order we may head out again for an abbreviated version of what we originally planned.

Oh, and in November we're heading to Florida to see the launch of Discovery - only two shuttle launches left before the program is history.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
We just returned from a long weekend in Washington DC. Always a fun city!
Ha! You've obviously never w*rked there.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Ha! You've obviously never w*rked there.
True enough. I'll probably keep it that way. Although my company is looking for a person to move to No VA to open up a new office...
Old 08-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Although my company is looking for a person to move to No VA to open up a new office...
Give them your response in Spanish: "no va".
Old 08-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a reunion to go to in Oct. and in Nov we are going to Spain and cruise back to Galveston.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I am thinking about attending a conference next Spring in Sydney Australia. (Actually it would be Fall in Australia) But there are a number of things that would have to happen. I may be too busy to go!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

No concrete plans yet since I just got back from a South America vacation. DW is in Oregon for 2 weeks (without me <sniff>).

I have a couple of friends who are leaving in Sept to go to Egypt for 2 weeks and then Tanzania for 3 weeks where they are climbing Kilimanjaro! They invited me for the Kili part, but there is no way I can go since I just had a vacation. I'm so jealously of them! They are going to call me from the summit in mid September.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Give them your response in Spanish: "no va".
How about no voy or no gracias? Or "donde esta el dinero?".
Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
No concrete plans yet since I just got back from a South America vacation. DW is in Oregon for 2 weeks (without me <sniff>).
How was SA? You were going to Argentina among other places I recall?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Boulder and Denver in September for 3 weeks. Its an exploratory trip to see if we like the area. We plan to spend a couple of nights in Estes Park and hike in the RMNP. With DW working, we haven't traveled at all this year.

I'll be going to Cape Cod for a couple of days next week to meet some friends.
Love RMNP. Did a week long backpack there several years ago. Beautiful country.

Have a good trip! I'm jealous.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #58

Quote:
How was SA? You were going to Argentina among other places I recall?
Yeah we were in Uruguay, Argentina and Chile, but most of the trip was in Argentina. It was awesome. Beef should not be allowed to taste that good! Flew into Montevideo, stayed in Buenos Aires for 6 days, flew up to Iguazu falls, then to Mendoza for some wine tasting, and finally took the bus over the Andes to Valparaiso before finishing up in Santiago.

Buenos Aires is a wonderful city. Did you notice that their Spanish is much different than Mexican Spanish when you were there? I'm not a good Spanish speaker but the accent is quite different. Wine tasting in Mendoza was fabulous. Much different than wine tasting in California. Not better or worse, just different. The Andes were just incredible! We were very fortunate to get a great view of Aconcagua!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #59

We're going to spend the second half of December through New Year's at our condo in Cozumel. Lots of scuba diving. There's nothing like spending Christmas Day 100' underwater drifting along the reef! Now to just maintain my sanity until then.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
...in New Mexico and they'll make their way to Montana.

About a 5200 mile road trip.
well get to Demming NM and dont miss the Saturday night out house race - Great American Duck Race of Deming, Inc.

Then off to Scottland to use tix delayed by volcano, hate to waste the tix so no business this time just sight seeing.
Closed Thread