Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan, I like a few beers as much as the next person, but don't you think a whole week in a pub is just a bit excessive?

;)

Yep, DW's relatives have been drinking there since the 1830's (she traced a direct ancestor as being a landlord there for a while)

DW is the travel agent and does a brilliant job.

The places in England and France she booked this year from

Self Catering Villa Holidays, Apartments, Cottages, for Rental Worldwide

Alan, you have a wonderful set of travel plans.

The site you mentioned "Self Catering", have you used it before? I looked at a few rentals and they looked quite reasonable. There did not appear to be posted renter comments but maybe some selected snippets. How does one do the due diligence on this sort of rental? Any suggestions?

When you select a place to stay for a week, do you have in mind a village nearby and several attractions that lure you to that exact local? Maybe this is a dumb question but sometimes I struggle with whether we'd be happy in a quite setting for a full week. In the UK for instance, selecting a good location outside of maybe London is challenging for us. We have been in areas for a week with great hiking trails like Mammoth Lakes California (near east Yosemite entrance) so are not total newbies on this stuff. :)

Last edited:
Alan, you have a wonderful set of travel plans.

The site you mentioned "Self Catering", have you used it before? I looked at a few rentals and they looked quite reasonable. There did not appear to be posted renter comments but maybe some selected snippets. How does one do the due diligence on this sort of rental? Any suggestions?

When you select a place to stay for a week, do you have in mind a village nearby and several attractions that lure you to that exact local? Maybe this is a dumb question but sometimes I struggle with whether we'd be happy in a quite setting for a full week. In the UK for instance, selecting a good location outside of maybe London is challenging for us. We have been in areas for a week with great hiking trails like Mammoth Lakes California (near east Yosemite entrance) so are not total newbies on this stuff. :)

As I said above, DW does all the bookings, and she just browses the listings in areas she thinks we'll like, and we have never had a bad rental experience yet, and have gone to quite a few now in Spain and France as well as England and Ireland over the last 10 years. The 2 websites I gave above are the main ones she uses for the UK and Europe, and in the USA she mostly uses VRBO.com, which is now owned by homeaway, another site she uses regularly for trips. You can also buy insurance through homeaway (VRBO) in case of last minute cancellations and problems, although we've not done this.

Vacation Rentals Europe, Vacation Rental Homes in Europe, Europe Vacations, Villas, Apartments for Rent in Europe

She always researches the area using the web to look for nearby attractions, public transportation etc before deciding on a particular village.

self-catering

We are doing the "self-catering" rental thing this summer in Italy for the month of June. We fly into Istanbul (cheap flight), then Rome for a week in an apartment we rented on VRBO near Campo de Fiori, then to the Amalfi coast for a week near Sorrento (VRBO) in a house we rented near the sea, then Venice for a couple of days, Cinque Terra (VRBO) for 5 days to hike from town to town, then finally a Villa near the Chianti area in Tuscany.

We have been to Italy for 2 weeks many years ago pre-kids, and we wanted to take the kids on an in-depth trip before we lose them to cars, girls and college.

cardude,

That sounds like a wonderful adventure you're planning for yourselves, particularly your kids.

That's a darn nice trip! For a whole month! When my children were in the early teens, we could not have done anything like that, even if we had the money and wanted to spend it (which we did not). There was this thing called work that would get in the way.

I think I've got to plan some travel again without my RV. Been to Sorrento, and Venice (during the Carnival too), but would not mind spending some time again. Not been to Cinque Terra. Tuscany region alone is worth one summer. What to do, where to go? So many places...

Last edited:
Alan, I like a few beers as much as the next person, but don't you think a whole week in a pub is just a bit excessive?

;)

Yep, DW's relatives have been drinking there since the 1830's (she traced a direct ancestor as being a landlord there for a while)

So compared to drinking in a pub for over 170 years, I take it you don't think a week in a pub is excessive at all. :)

-ERD50

This weekend I have been discussing my next trip to go to Guatemalan clinics, possibly in March or April. Next week I am meeting with a colleague of mine who is helping building an orphanage in Ecuador for 500 homeless kids. I may go there in June / July to take care of these children and other people living nearby. From the pictures I have seen, this area in Ecuador is quite unsafe, but it is my destiny to go and help. Then El Salvador in November...

obgyn65 said:
This weekend I have been discussing my next trip to go to Guatemalan clinics, possibly in March or April. Next week I am meeting with a colleague of mine who is helping building an orphanage in Ecuador for 500 homeless kids. I may go there in June / July to take care of these children and other people living nearby. From the pictures I have seen, this area in Ecuador is quite unsafe, but it is my destiny to go and help. Then El Salvador in November...

Wow. Now those are worthwhile trips. Be safe.

Im going to Vietnam and Myanmar. Too much bad news coming out of Thailand. Tourist murders, political protests, Russians, not such a great value anymore, etc.
Myanmar was great. Bagan was amazing.
Vietnam has grown a lot since I was last there. It's modernizing very quickly and still very cheap. I love it!
I did visit Thailand. It is definitely getting more expensive.

YoungSaver said:
Myanmar was great. Bagan was amazing.
Vietnam has grown a lot since I was last there. It's modernizing very quickly and still very cheap. I love it!
I did visit Thailand. It is definitely getting more expensive.

We enjoyed MM as well. It's getting more and more expensive. Prices were triple my 2007 guidebook!!!! Glad you had a great time. Inle was the highlight for us.

Do you plan on continuing to do volunteer free clinic work after you ER?

Absolutely.

In fact, volunteering abroad is one of the main reasons why I would like to FIRE.
That is quite admirable. Are you doing that because of religious beliefs or just altruism?

Flying to Melbourne, Australia tomorrow to do the Great Ocean Drive and play some golf. Looking forward to the holiday.

Going on one of those Caribbean cruises with the idea of doing some snorkeling and checking out the [-]bikini girls[/-] colorful fish. Then hang out on a beach, and [-]get a massage[/-] read a book on self-improvement. All the while drinking [-]mojitos[/-] herb tea.

Retired in September at 57. Bought late model lightly used and highly depreciated Airstream trailer off eBay.

Retired in September at 57. Bought late model lightly used and highly depreciated Airstream trailer off eBay.

Accidentally posted beginning of my response, now continuing. Just back from 3 week trip to Florida and had a great time, going to two rallies and meeting a number of terrific fellow Airstreamers. We now have plans for the Outer Banks of NC in May, north Georgia mountains and entire Blue Ridge Parkway in June, July we will spend 2 weeks in a secluded park in the Virginia mountains. August we head west with no definite plans until September when I plan to take a week long class at the photography school in Santa Fe while DW takes a course at the culinary school. Then to Albuquerque where we have reservations to park the trailer with 200 Airstreams next to the balloon launch field at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta the first week in October. From there we may go to southern Arizona or head back east through southern Texas. The great thing is we don't have to stick to any schedule. We have the freedom to go where the rad takes us or the spirit moves us. To wrap up the year we hope to meet up with friends at Myrtle Beach in November, but that could change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom