Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The booze cruise caught my attention....Do you rent a houseboat?

DH and I are interested in trying out a houseboat. If we cannot hitch a ride with you, do you have tips and/or leads?? Serious inquiry here....:)

My logistic skills are at full stretch on this piece of madness, but I'm getting a lot of help!

HFWR--Love the booze cruise! Y'all have fun!
I want to do BOTH: A high logistics booze cruise, hehe.

Ok, what about this...rent, oh, wait a minute, "hire" a houseboat, oh, wait a minute "long boat" for a self-guided european river cruise!

Easy answers here: www.teamdixiechickens.com.
That's my bus and my team. The other 287 teams are taking tiny cars to Mongolia, but we are doing the rally as part of a short bus circumnavigation. It is an epically insane idea that was allowed to grow into an actual plan thanks to a total lack of adult supervision.
"The horn on the bus goes beep beep beep".

Sounds great! Y'all are going to have a wonderful trip......post pics en route!

Bon voyage!

No adults supervision involved? Love it!

Our logistics mostly involve procuring enough booze...

We've been to Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow Lake in KY/TN. Probably other lakes with houseboat rentals. We don't do much cruising, but plenty of boozing! Mostly stay moored in a cove somewhere...

Might run into some colorful characters, but no visas required, and I'm pretty sure it's still in the USA; i.e. no "-stans", but I'll be following along with Sarah's adventure from the safety of my computer.

Attachments

• IPhone 007.jpg
    IPhone 007.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
We are taking the 24 hour red eye to Bali tonight - via Taipei. Looking forward to our stay, have booked some nice places for a few days in Ubud then fly to South Sulawesi Indonesia for 2 weeks of Scuba Diving & white sand beaches in a very remote location.....;)

So.......we started off looking at Romania, (which is still on our bucket list), but the airfares available were higher than we wished to pay, (prefer to spend our money on something other than sitting in a &%#@ plane).........then, (each sitting at separate computers), we ran off in ten different directions at once.

End result......yesterday booked a repositioning cruise (for early October), from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale, (at approx $750 p.p.)........(found a one-way flight Toronto-Barcelona @ ~ 60% of the asking fare price for the periods either side of this particular flight date)......arrive in Barcelona a week before sailing date, (unfortunately there's no early boarding available), and the 'savings' on our flight will go a fair way towards paying for our time in Barcelona.

Currently searching HouseTrip for accommodation.

Last edited:
Hermoso Espana in September

We are also headed for Spain. We will fly into Barcelona and rent a car to tour the northeastern and north-central areas. We will see Segovia, Avila, Escorial, Burgos, Bilbao, Pamplona, the Basque-mountain area, and Costa Brava before returning for three days in Barcelona.:dance:

For Nemo2 - Look at Rip Advisors for Barcelona hotels. A week is a long time in the city, maybe you want to visit the coastal area for several days.

We are also headed for Spain. We will fly into Barcelona and rent a car to tour the northeastern and north-central areas. We will see Segovia, Avila, Escorial, Burgos, Bilbao, Pamplona, the Basque-mountain area, and Costa Brava before returning for three days in Barcelona.:dance:

For Nemo2 - Look at Rip Advisors for Barcelona hotels. A week is a long time in the city, maybe you want to visit the coastal area for several days.
Some fine dining opportunities await. Buen viaje...

We're looking at day trips....up to Andorra, perhaps into France, stuff like that....(I was first in Barcelona in 1963, then again in 1969....imagine it's changed).......enjoy your trip! :greetings10:

(We use Trip Advisors, HouseTrip, Wimdu and others......and HouseTrip owes us a 'free night' from our Prague apartment booking.)

Last edited:
First Trip after ER - Price Shock

So, thought I would plan a trip to CA wine country for me and DH and get in a little biking at the same time. Been planning this for a couple of months,so booking things here and there, but just got a big shockeroo when I added up the costs for this trip. Plane tickets around $800, car rental $450, hotels - and i really worked on finding cheaper, but decent - avg around $175 for 10 nights $1750 and no luxury there, then food and drink and fun I'm figuring about $1000, oh and don't forget boarding the dog $250 - so around $4250 for 10 days!!!!! Yikes - I could have gone to Italy!:facepalm: I leave Tuesday, but would never have guessed it would cost that much, I was thinking around $2k. When did things get so expensive:confused:? :confused:
Next trip is to Big Bend - hotels $125 or we will camp and will drive and take the dog.....

I think travel/lodging/dog boarding/food/etc costs got out of hand when the government held inflation and interest rates in check. :D

We care off to Galliano Island for 3 days to stay with friends. Their place is west coast modern and is totally off the grid. We will feast on Dungeness crab trapped just off their dock. And steamed using propane on the dock. Also meeting friends from Puerto Vallarta who are also there after visiting their daughters in Seattle.

Our maid will look after the cats while we are gone. Weather should be great.

Going to Japan (Tokyo) for the rest of the week... Ooooops, this is for work! :facepalm:

CANADIAN ROCKIES...

We are flying into Vancouver, B C next week...1 night at Westin Bayshore Inn (anyone have restaurant recommendations?)..then joining a tour that has us on VIA train overnight, than next afternoon arrive in Jasper ...to start trip that includes 2 nights there, at Lake Louise and Banff...most nights in Fairmont hotels...with little adventures, like whitewater rafting, scattered throughout the trip, but also lots of time on our own to explore, ending in Calgary. This will be our second 'tour'...first was a train type vacation mostly in Switzerland, a bit of Italy, earlier this year...mainly because the cost was actually less than what we could have arranged on our own, renting a car...and all the details of train tickets, hotels, etc taken care of. Also stayed in lovely hotels and some meals included...lots of wine too...nice in such an expensive country. One of the biggest advantages...DH can enjoy the scenery! But next year we are going to do another driving vacation in France again...before we are too old! So much to see there. Almost forgot...in November...off to Rome for a few days before starting a cruise that will have most port stops in Spain....working on our bucket list!

CANADIAN ROCKIES...

We are flying into Vancouver, B C next week...1 night at Westin Bayshore Inn (anyone have restaurant recommendations?)..

The Westin Bayshore is my favorite Vancouver hotel, mostly because of its location. Hopefully you can get a room with a good view of Stanley Park and the seaplanes coming in to land. It is worth walking or biking round Stanley Park's sea wall if you have time.

Just outside your hotel, on the sea wall, is a restaurant called Lift, which is urban west coast cuisine. Shaped like a wing. You can't miss it.

Vij's and its casual twin Rangoli have wonderful Indian food. They are both near Broadway. You would need a taxi.

For casual dining, wander along Davie Street from Burrard St to English Bay.

Joe Forte's near Robson St has good steaks.

If you want to go all out, check out Hawksworth at the Rosewood Hotel on Georgia St.

The Sunday Brunch buffet at the Fairmont Royal York is excellent.

Welcome to Canada, and have a great time, eh!

Last edited:
Vancouver restaurants..Coal Harbour

The Westin Bayshore is my favorite Vancouver hotel, mostly because of its location. Hopefully you can get a room with a good view of Stanley Park and the seaplanes coming in to land. It is worth walking or biking round Stanley Park's sea wall if you have time.

Just outside your hotel, on the sea wall, is a restaurant called Lift, which is urban west coast cuisine. Shaped like a wing. You can't miss it.

Vijay's and its casual twin Rangoli have wonderful Indian food. They are both near Broadway. You would need a taxi.

For casual dining, wander along Davie Street from Burrard St to English Bay.

Joe Forte's near Robson St has good steaks.

If you want to go all out, check out Hawksworth at the Rosewood Hotel on Georgia St.

The Sunday Brunch buffet at the Fairmont Royal York is excellent.

Welcome to Canada, and have a great time, eh!

Thank you for those great recommendations. Glad the Bayshore Inn is nice...wish we had more time. A restaurant recommended on Trip Advisors was Carderos...been there?

CANADIAN ROCKIES...

We are flying into Vancouver, B C next week...1 night at Westin Bayshore Inn (anyone have restaurant recommendations?)..then joining a tour that has us on VIA train overnight, than next afternoon arrive in Jasper ...to start trip that includes 2 nights there, at Lake Louise and Banff...most nights in Fairmont hotels...with little adventures, like whitewater rafting, scattered throughout the trip, but also lots of time on our own to explore, ending in Calgary. This will be our second 'tour'...first was a train type vacation mostly in Switzerland, a bit of Italy, earlier this year...mainly because the cost was actually less than what we could have arranged on our own, renting a car...and all the details of train tickets, hotels, etc taken care of. Also stayed in lovely hotels and some meals included...lots of wine too...nice in such an expensive country. One of the biggest advantages...DH can enjoy the scenery! But next year we are going to do another driving vacation in France again...before we are too old! So much to see there. Almost forgot...in November...off to Rome for a few days before starting a cruise that will have most port stops in Spain....working on our bucket list!

Ten years ago after DW survived her breast cancer surgery this was our celebratory trip, although from Vancouver to Banff to Lake Louise to Jasper back to Vancouver. Stayed in the classic hotels (the ones that are now Fairmonts). What a great trip that was! You will love it.

Thank you for those great recommendations. Glad the Bayshore Inn is nice...wish we had more time. A restaurant recommended on Trip Advisors was Carderos...been there?

Carderos is also next to your hotel, in Coal Harbour. Yes, I have eaten there several times, including once with kcowan! It's casual fare, beer, seafood, etc. Quite enjoyable to sit on the patio even if you need the rain gear they provide!

Just thought of another one: Bridges on Granville Island. You can take a water taxi or a cab.

All these places either have websites or are critiqued on TripAdvisor.

Last edited:
Did you give the Chauffeur, Butler, Footman & Valet the weekend off? ;)
:LOL:
We went Tuesday and returned on Thursday. We planned it around the maid's 2 weekly visit on Wednesday. Worked out well. Just a little evidence of separation anxiety!

(Our island host gets his clothes laid out by our hostess. She is English and does not trust him to select them himself. In addition to being the Valet, she is his personal shopper!)

BTW your pictures are not showing.

Ten years ago after DW survived her breast cancer surgery this was our celebratory trip, although from Vancouver to Banff to Lake Louise to Jasper back to Vancouver. Stayed in the classic hotels (the ones that are now Fairmonts). What a great trip that was! You will love it.

So glad that your wife is well and you had that great trip!:dance:

We have driven thru this area a few yrs ago, except for Jasper, but friends who have never been before ... Maybe not even to Canada, wanted us to try this Trip. We know the scenery will be spectacular...spending 1 night on the train should be a hoot and have always wanted to stay in those Fairmont Hotels...so thanks for confirming we made a good decision!

Ps..heard the night sky can be spectacular around Jasper because its so dark...but its always mentioned for winter months. I hope we are lucky enough to be able to see more stars, etc. than at home...what a bonus that would be!

BTW your pictures are not showing.
The Czech Republic slideshow? (If I click on the link I can see them, but perhaps others cannot.......will 'Czech' it out...)

Doing the Landmannalaugar-Skógar trek in Iceland the first week of Sept. I'm going to stay a 3 or 4 days in Reykjavík before hand and 1 day after. If anyone has suggestions on good things to see/do in iceland i'm all ears.

When you are in Reykjavik I recommend doing the Blue Lagoon. A large geothermal spa that is an experience. It is a short drive from Reykjavik and there are local buses that will take you there also. We were there last September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom