Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were supposed to leave tomorrow and spend the night around Chesapeake VA and then Saturday drive to Ocracoke Island NC and spend the week. We are watching to see if Arthur does much damage. Crossing our fingers that it is minimal and that we are able to go fairly soon.

I'm looking forward to watching the sun set at 11:30 here in Anchorage tonight, then tomorrow we start our Alaskan cruise followed by a coach and rail trip through the Canadian Rockies.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Nemo, that looks truly awesome! What fun!

+1

Sounds great. Seems like only last year when we were in Barcelona but in fact it was in 2007. We need to go again, it is a fabulous city, plus the crossing will be pretty cool as well.

+1

Sounds great. Seems like only last year when we were in Barcelona but in fact it was in 2007. We need to go again, it is a fabulous city, plus the crossing will be pretty cool as well.

We WERE in Barcelona last year, and are ready to return......cabins on this trip are (apparently) selling quickly....climb aboard!

I'm looking forward to watching the sun set at 11:30 here in Anchorage tonight, then tomorrow we start our Alaskan cruise followed by a coach and rail trip through the Canadian Rockies.

Let us know all the adventure details. :dance:

We WERE in Barcelona last year, and are ready to return......cabins on this trip are (apparently) selling quickly....climb aboard!

2016 is when we are heading back to Europe and we will be cruising there, hopefully there will be another April cruise heading to Barcelona.

We leave on Monday for a week staying with DD in Santa Monica then off to Australia on the 14th, and at the end of the Australia visit in November will be a 2 week cruise around New Zealand

Some people will go to great lengths to stay ahead of those pesky bill collectors...

It's tough, I'm still getting bills and expect at least one more from the colonoscopy I had 8 months ago and the PT I had 3 months ago. Planning healthcare visits between trips is really difficult to do, particularly since I've found a provider or 2 who still don't have the ability for [-]victims [/-] customers to pay on-line. Paper invoices and checks :nonono:

Panama - (multiple times, got a buddy down there)
Hawaii - as soon as my other bud retires & gets settled in. He already bought the place.
Florida - fishing bud there in the panhandle, plus a cousin in Jacksonville
PA - relatives
WI - old friends & co-workers
Cruises - multiples. Alaska, Caribbean, etc. Whatever catches our eye.
Texas & Louisiana coast - fishing, fishing, fishing.
Texas & Louisiana freshwater - fishing, fishing & more fishing!
Driving trips pretty much all over the US. Friends & folks all over the place!
Lot's of places I've wanted to visit, and how have the time.
I think I've already done most of the out of country stuff I need to do, during my military career. Probably will still stick our toes into Canada a time or two, though.
Will also be spending a lot of time in North Carolina, since that's where I'm from & my mom, 1 daughter/granddaughter & other folks, plus best friend live.

2016 is when we are heading back to Europe and we will be cruising there, hopefully there will be another April cruise heading to Barcelona.
VacationsToGo offers listings of repositioning cruises in both/all directions: Repositioning Cruises, Repositioning Cruise, Cruise Repositioning, Repositioning Cruise Line, Repositioning Cruise Lines

We leave on Monday for a week staying with DD in Santa Monica then off to Australia on the 14th, and at the end of the Australia visit in November will be a 2 week cruise around New Zealand

Been 48 years since I set foot in Oz.....say "Hi" for me. ;)

VacationsToGo offers listings of repositioning cruises in both/all directions: Repositioning Cruises, Repositioning Cruise, Cruise Repositioning, Repositioning Cruise Line, Repositioning Cruise Lines

Been 48 years since I set foot in Oz.....say "Hi" for me. ;)

We almost took a repositioning cruise last year that landed in Barcelona but we had a wedding to get to on April 19 so we had to go earlier and got a good deal on the Queen Elizabeth to Southampton.

I'll be sure to pass on my regards down under, it will be our first visit there in 17 years.

I'll be sure to pass on my regards down under, it will be our first visit there in 17 years.

"The time, she do slip by." ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

That sounds like a fantastic trip, just curious, is this a smaller ship cruise?

Woohoo! Finally!

After months of planning, research, and a few unrelated obstacles and delays thrown into the mix.......

We've booked most of our late summer trip to Bavaria and Austria - stopping to visit family in Amsterdam first. Munich, Salzburg, Hallstatt, Vienna, Melk and Fussen here we come!

It's been a head banging exercise!

Still can't book the overnight train we need from Amsterdam to Munich as the overnight train time tables are blocked after Aug 22nd, but there is plenty of time for that to resolve or make other arrangements.

You are going to have a great time!

When my DW and I did our big European vacation before the kids came, I planned out a big vacation that included a full week in Austria...why that country? Don't know - I guess I wanted the 'Bavarian' experience.

I did all the planning, itinerary, accommodations. We did much like you are doing - Salzburg, Hallstatt, Vienna...

Amazing!

Enjoy the experience.

Future travel for us in FIRE??

I want to do the US National Parks with leisurely stops at all the quirky, obscure, hard to find 'must see' spots.

Starting in 2015!

Future travel for us in FIRE??

I want to do the US National Parks with leisurely stops at all the quirky, obscure, hard to find 'must see' spots.

Starting in 2015!

That is a great plan. In 2012 we spent 6 months doing just that and visited 10 National Parks plus some State Parks.

We are going to a similar thing next year, and in fact have already got our lodging booked for September 2015 in Yellowstone, which will be towards the end of our road trip.

Getting ready to travel soon to Portland West and decided to recheck the rental car rate that I had negotiated back in March. I was delighted to see that I could upgrade a size and still save $40 by re-booking.

I take the light rail into town and rent from a neighborhood Hertz location. Just for laughs, I compared the rental charge picking up downtown vs at PDX. Amazingly, it is $400 vs $1800. In either case the car is returned to PDX.

As Walt would say, not bad money for an hour's work.

Gonna strap our two kayaks on top of our pickup and hit up a few different gulf islands in the next week. Quite a few of the islands have nice waterfront pubs - a nice reward after several hours of paddling. (To forum members, a heads up... I will be talking about kayaking a lot here - as my user name might suggest, it's an obsession)

Attachments

• Kayak.jpg
    Kayak.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 26
I was really impressed with how you came up with the idea of laying plywood on the hood to improve access to your overhead rack.

Last edited:
I was really impressed with how you came up with the idea of laying plywood on the hood to improve access to your overhead rack.
Plywood? That's a redneck "Woody".

My two bank's bill pay services send both online payments and paper mail. I hadn't realized that wasn't the norm. Banks are Capital One and USAA

I was talking about healthcare providers who don't allow you to go to their site and pay online and won't send you invoices electronically. When traveling it means that I have to have someone monitoring my mail. I can pay the invoices online by having my bank send snail mail checks, but healthcare are the only financial bills that still arrive by USPS and don't allow me to go paperless.

Took a deep breath and booked Galapagos/Machu Picchu trip for 2016. Now need to find something to do in the meantime. Have a fall trip to the east coast and a bunch of days in Rehoboth Beach, DE. Love it there that time of year, lots of waterfowl festivals going on, and it's an R month. Also not going far but taking a 10 day advance degree herpetological course with The American Museum of Natural History, right here in town. When they asked why a semi-lay person would want to take the course, I had to tell the truth. Ms G. wants me out of the house for ten days.

Ms G. wants me out of the house for no less than ten days at a time.

Fixed it for you.

Seriously, I've really struggled with that trip, but haven't reached the breaking (open the wallet) point yet. Hope you have a great time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom