Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading about the horrendous weather throughout the U.S., I feel guilty about being in Kailua on the island of Oahu.

It's 84 degrees every day and comfortably cool at night.

We're taking an extra week in California on the way home with temps 65/50 there.

Travelover, what a coincidence, I'm looking up flights from here to PDX today for DH. Though he acts like a 12 year old, he's theoretically a full grown man and can fly alone. Maybe. ;)

He's going to some place called Pacific City, Oregon for paramotoring training. Looks like Portland is closest city to fly into. Fly Halo is the name of the outfit, and they train for 2 weeks, while staying in a beach house with the other folks taking the course.

Looks like SW is still the best option for flights, unless I find something on United.

After reading about the horrendous weather throughout the U.S., I feel guilty about being in Kailua on the island of Oahu.

It's 84 degrees every day and comfortably cool at night.

We're taking an extra week in California on the way home with temps 65/50 there.
In our California area just north of SF, the weather for the next week is supposed to have highs in the 70's with mostly sunny conditions. Feels like an early Spring here.

He's going to some place called Pacific City, Oregon for paramotoring training. Looks like Portland is closest city to fly into. Fly Halo is the name of the outfit, and they train for 2 weeks, while staying in a beach house with the other folks taking the course.
He was serious then! I was tempted in the last month or two to ask where he was getting his training.

Travelover, what a coincidence, I'm looking up flights from here to PDX today for DH. Though he acts like a 12 year old, he's theoretically a full grown man and can fly alone. Maybe. ;)

Looks like SW is still the best option for flights, unless I find something on United.
I'm a SW fan for the prices, the free checked luggage and the free reservation changes.

Paramotoring sounds either exhilarating or terrifying. :eek:

Paramotoring sounds either exhilarating or terrifying. :eek:

I'd add idiotic to that list, but :facepalm:

Sengsational, you should TOTALLY do it with him! The training sounds fun...and terrifying. And I mean, c'mon, 2 weeks at a beach house in Oregon is a vacation itself, plus the excitement of possibly plummeting from the sky during the training itself! :D

For the unenlightened and interested (a small subset, admittedly), what DH is doing is training as a Pioneer in the Icarus Race, which will be the longest unsupported paramotoring race in the world, scheduled for October. Put on by our favorite idiots, The Adventurists, who mismanage other insane events all over the world.

Sengsational, you should TOTALLY do it with him! The training sounds fun...and terrifying. And I mean, c'mon, 2 weeks at a beach house in Oregon is a vacation itself, plus the excitement of possibly plummeting from the sky during the training itself! :D
Bugger!

Attachments

• noicarus.jpg
    noicarus.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 212
I've often wondered why people choose something "adventurous" that involves a small chance of life changing or ending events. It's a curious blend of living on the edge. I guess there is some bragging potential involved. :):confused::rolleyes: Definitely not for this ground lover. :nonono:

My runs in rocky hill country are the max danger for me.

Oh, yeah, there was very keen competition for the 40 pioneer slots. DH is the oldest one given a slot, by a rather embarrassing margin. Which tells me that most people in the 50+ club have better sense.

But you can still learn how to paramotor with him and go in the race next year!

we just booked an 11 day cruise to Alaska for Sept. So excited! We have not been yet.

Did that cruise on Princess in Aug 2004. It was awesome. The only complaint I had were the at sea medical evacuations in the middle of the night. We had 3 of them and they evacuate a section of the ship for the helicopter to come in. Of course, wouldn't you know our section was the one that had to be woken in the mid of the night for the 45 minute exercise. After the second one, we were a little frustrated. By the third one we were ready to leave all the elderly and sick at the next port of call:(

Flying to Yogyakarta for a long weekend (Chinese New Year) of hiking and touring around. We've seen the temples before, so we'll stick to mountains and beaches and rice paddies and Jalan Malioboro this time.

Did that cruise on Princess in Aug 2004. It was awesome. The only complaint I had were the at sea medical evacuations in the middle of the night. We had 3 of them and they evacuate a section of the ship for the helicopter to come in. Of course, wouldn't you know our section was the one that had to be woken in the mid of the night for the 45 minute exercise. After the second one, we were a little frustrated. By the third one we were ready to leave all the elderly and sick at the next port of call:(

That is just wild about the medical evacs!!!

Amazing.

You could have suggested doing like the Inuit and put them on ice floes to drift way .. :greetings10:

Heading up to Anchorage and Fairbanks to volunteer with the Iditarod dog sled race. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Leaving for the Caribbean in a couple of weeks. This winter weather better cease & desist - if I get stuck in an airport overnight due to storms, this will be the last time DH gets my rear end on a plane. I hate flying on a good day. Wish those Star Trek Transporters would get perfected soon. ;)

Leaving for Cabo in 24 hrs for 4 days. Last minute trip as I am tired of the cold and snow. No plans but to set on the beach read and stay warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Hopefully going to Brazil again this year, probably November. Right now we are thinking Iguaçu Falls.

We went back in 2002. What a wonderful experience! If you go, and have an adventurous side, ride one of the boats that goes up underneath Devil's Throat Falls.

Yes..that sounds like fun. I'm finding that I'm more adventurous than I thought, in my old age. Did you cross over to the Argentina side or were you in Argentina and cross over to Brazil? I'm a little concerned about re entering Brazil if we cross over to Argentina for a day. I don't know how Brazil would handle our visa if we popped over then back.

Admittedly, it was a long time ago, but when I lived in Brazil, the Foz area was absolutely awash with tourists, and a large number of them were there as much for the cross-border shopping as for the scenery. They were crossing back and forth constantly, including Paraguay. It was simply expected. Things may have changed since I lived there, but I doubt it.

Yes..that sounds like fun. I'm finding that I'm more adventurous than I thought, in my old age. Did you cross over to the Argentina side or were you in Argentina and cross over to Brazil? I'm a little concerned about re entering Brazil if we cross over to Argentina for a day. I don't know how Brazil would handle our visa if we popped over then back.

We had no problem that I can recall - but we used a personal tour guide. We toured the Brazil side, then he drove us across the border to Argentina (he talked to the border people), then after we toured that side he took us back over the border. We had a Brazil passport but not one for Argentina.

My memory is fuzzy of it all, but one thing that sticks in my mind is how the car had to drive through a pool of disinfectant, and we had to get out and stomp on a big sponge full of disinfectant going one direction (or both?). This was to prevent the spread of Mad Cow disease.

We hiked all over the falls - it was simply STUNNING.

We had no problem that I can recall - but we used a personal tour guide. We toured the Brazil side, then he drove us across the border to Argentina (he talked to the border people), then after we toured that side he took us back over the border. We had a Brazil passport but not one for Argentina.

My memory is fuzzy of it all, but one thing that sticks in my mind is how the car had to drive through a pool of disinfectant, and we had to get out and stomp on a big sponge full of disinfectant going one direction (or both?). This was to prevent the spread of Mad Cow disease.

We hiked all over the falls - it was simply STUNNING.

Simple girl, I think you mean Brazilian and Argentinian visas. Each country has different rules. When I visited South America in 1997 I had a choice of traveling on my EU passport (which would have required visas for Chile and Argentina) or my Canadian passport (which required a visa for Brazil). I travelled on my Canadian passport because getting one visa was simpler. If you make sure you have the right visas before you leave home, crossing the border should not be a problem. This is a tourist area.

I was on a guided tour. We flew from Buenos Aires to IGR on the Argentinian side, explored the town of Puerto Iguazu and the Argentinian side of the Falls before crossing the border uneventfully in a tourbus (and I do remember the disease precautions!). We then stayed at Hotel das Cataratas, looking out over the Brazilian side of the Falls, and also visited the town of Foz do Iguazu and surrounding area before flying out of IGU to Rio de Janeiro.

The Falls are absolutely magnificent and not to be missed.

The only negative part of my experience was that my credit card was scammed at reception at Hotel das Cataratas. :(

http://www.belmond.com/hotel-das-cataratas-iguassu-falls/?c=websites&p=tripadvisor_business&cr=cat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom