Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you both...I can't wait to see the falls. I really hope that nothing comes up that would prevent us from going this year. The disinfectant procedure is interesting. It sounds like we shouldn't have any trouble with the visa.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My memory is fuzzy of it all, but one thing that sticks in my mind is how the car had to drive through a pool of disinfectant, and we had to get out and stomp on a big sponge full of disinfectant going one direction (or both?). This was to prevent the spread of Mad Cow disease.
Sounds like foot and mouth disease prevention. The US customs guy asked if I had been to any farms while out of the country...I think that's along the same lines. Really bad if it gets loose in your livestock.

That hotel is gorgeous, so close to the falls. Our tour guide will be my son in law. I'm so spoiled having my daughter interpret in German when we went to Germany and now a son n law to interpret in Brazil.

Sounds like foot and mouth disease prevention. The US customs guy asked if I had been to any farms while out of the country...I think that's along the same lines. Really bad if it gets loose in your livestock.

Ah yes...I think you may be right. Geesh - my memory is definitely not what it used to be!

That hotel is gorgeous, so close to the falls. Our tour guide will be my son in law. I'm so spoiled having my daughter interpret in German when we went to Germany and now a son n law to interpret in Brazil.

That is a huge bonus! How awesome!

We had to drive the bus through a few disinfectant baths on our travels as well. It was pretty random which places required it and most of the time the "bath" didn't look like it had much more than muddy water in it.

We did spend four or five hours at one Russian border with a cattle truck in front of us that reeked to high heaven. No disinfectant there, though we all felt like we could have used it!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Just booked tickets to Rome this morning. Gonna fulfill a dream of taking my kids to Europe before they go off to college.

The trip will be a total of 10 days split between Rome and Florence, and it looks like we'll be using VRBO for lodging arrangements. Any experiences with VRBO, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Now let the planning begin. :)

We did spend four or five hours at one Russian border with a cattle truck in front of us that reeked to high heaven.

1963....caught a train, (boarded the empty car in the middle of the night...no-one around), from Zahedan, Iran to Quetta, Pakistan.......awakened at dawn by locals loading their sheep into the car through the doors and windows.

What a sight that must have been, Nemo! I can't even imagine that rain ride, let alone the sheep!

If you ever get to Charleston, I really want to hear some more of your stories!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

What a sight that must have been, Nemo! I can't even imagine that rain ride, let alone the sheep!

Train ride, (up through the 'mountains' along the Afghan border), `200+ miles, took us somewhere in the region of 28 hours.......at times the train was going so slowly we, and others, jumped off, walked ahead and waited for the train to catch up. :D

Somewhile later, traveling 3rd class through India, where the trains had wide, string/cord luggage racks, we'd throw our packs up on the racks, climb up after...nice and comfy and out of the way!

(Been a few years since I was in Charleston...but if/when DW and I make it back down there, we want to hear your stories!)

My last trip was a cruise from LA to Chile and went to Eastern Island for 3 days - it was a nightmare. Fly into LAX and it was pouring, my luggage and me got totally soaked waiting nearly 2 hours for a cab - it was raining sideways could not avoid it and had to get to the pier for boarding. Went to the cruise ship doc and they had custom inspections holding up the boarding, got soaked again. Got on the ship headed down to Chile and we had to avoid a hurricane, passengers sea sick all over the place, the crew wanted to be tipped for anything and everything, got to Chile (boring, cold and ding ding raining), fly to Eastern Island - 5 hours on a tiny plane filled completely - of course I was next to the 5'5" 310 pound plus women that muffined into my seat space - her side stomach felt like a water balloon. Eastern Island is a tiny island with some statues on it (rained the whole time), extremely overpriced, crappy hotel was $250 a night, room service hamburger $18. Had to fly back to Chile to catch a flight back to the States. Flight from Eastern Island was delayed, missed the flight from Chile to the States (non refundable tickets), had to wait 3 days for another flight where the ticket price was not in the stratosphere. Easter Island is very overrated. If you want to get ripped off, go to Tahiti - better food, weather and the locals don't snear at you.

Last edited:
1963....caught a train, (boarded the empty car in the middle of the night...no-one around), from Zahedan, Iran to Quetta, Pakistan.......awakened at dawn by locals loading their sheep into the car through the doors and windows.
I traveled same route in 1996 and same thing happened. Anybody on ER board has fresher update? ;)

Just booked tickets to Rome this morning. Gonna fulfill a dream of taking my kids to Europe before they go off to college.

The trip will be a total of 10 days split between Rome and Florence, and it looks like we'll be using VRBO for lodging arrangements. Any experiences with VRBO, good or bad, would be appreciated.

I used VRBO for places in Nimes, France & Barcelona for our trip last October. No problems at all. I'd focus on the places with positive reviews but that said, our place near Nimes had no reviews and went perfectly. They were both managed by a property management company - not sure if that would be better than dealing directly with the owner.

As I recall, the biggest issue was that I needed to figure out how to wire the deposit in euros to one of them.

In the next week or so, we are going to book a bicycle tour through the Alentejo region of Portugal. We are narrowing down the company with which to book, and plan to go in late April/early May (yeah...we are kind of last minute planners).

But we've been talking about this trip for several years, so I am excited for it. Somehow, we keep ending up going to different places instead!

My last trip was a cruise from LA to Chile and went to Eastern Island for 3 days - it was a nightmare. Fly into LAX and it was pouring, my luggage and me got totally soaked waiting nearly 2 hours for a cab - it was raining sideways could not avoid it and had to get to the pier for boarding. Went to the cruise ship doc and they had custom inspections holding up the boarding, got soaked again. Got on the ship headed down to Chile and we had to avoid a hurricane, passengers sea sick all over the place, the crew wanted to be tipped for anything and everything, got to Chile (boring, cold and ding ding raining), fly to Eastern Island - 5 hours on a tiny plane filled completely - of course I was next to the 5'5" 310 pound plus women that muffined into my seat space - her side stomach felt like a water balloon. Eastern Island is a tiny island with some statues on it (rained the whole time), extremely overpriced, crappy hotel was $250 a night, room service hamburger $18. Had to fly back to Chile to catch a flight back to the States. Flight from Eastern Island was delayed, missed the flight from Chile to the States (non refundable tickets), had to wait 3 days for another flight where the ticket price was not in the stratosphere. Easter Island is very overrated. If you want to get ripped off, go to Tahiti - better food, weather and the locals don't snear at you.

I hope you can laugh at this now--a lot of black comedy here.

In the next week or so, we are going to book a bicycle tour through the Alentejo region of Portugal. We are narrowing down the company with which to book, and plan to go in late April/early May (yeah...we are kind of last minute planners).

But we've been talking about this trip for several years, so I am excited for it. Somehow, we keep ending up going to different places instead!

we love bike tours. Hope you have a great time.

We stayed in Europe for 3 weeks last year and used VBRO, AirBnB and Booking.com for our stays and didn't have any issues.

Sent from my TRS-80

Next week to Bandon, Oregon to play the 4 Bandon Dunes course. May play the 13 hole one too if time permits. Will be driving from Bay Area via highway 5. Can't wait.

Our trips are way-less-exotic, but, hey, i'll take them.

Boston in April (to see FIL), Atlanta in May, and San Francisco (Road Scholar trip) in September.

It so happens that I am reading Bad Trips by Keath Fraser ed. (1991), a collection of essays and book excerpts from many writers about their travel experience.

A reviewer on Amazon makes the comment that this book is more about Sad Trips than Bad Trips as so many stories involve human misery. It's not something to read before traveling to a 3rd world country.

We've had very good luck with VRBO/Homeaway (now the same company). In Rome we rented this place 8 years ago. (It didn't have the loud tile in the bathroom at the time.) Owners were awesome to deal with.
Apartment for 5 people in Rome - VRBO (Although I rented it through Venere.com at the time.)

When we were in Tuscany about 4 years ago we rented a place south of Florence, outside of Greve in Chianti, but we had a car. It was a great base to go see Florence, the Chianti towns, Sienna, and just chill and relax in the vineyards.
Vacation home Badia in Badia a Passignano,... - VRBO

Your kids are lucky to have you as a parent!

We stay at Olive Tree Hill in Zagarolo, just south of Rome.

[url=http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g795890-d603482-Reviews-Olive_Tree_Hill-Zagarolo_Province_of_Rome_Lazio.html]Olive Tree Hill (Rome, Italy - Zagarolo) - B&B Reviews - TripAdvisor

Ivano is a fabulous tour guide, and he cooks for guests at night. We found as much to do in the Rome suburbs as there is to see in the center city.

We used Booking.com in Florence, and later stayed in an agriturismo outside San Gimignano. We loved day trips to the hilltowns, including Orvieto and Volterra.

Working through the French train system which works completely differently from the German, Austrian or Netherlands/Belgium train system.

High speed (TGV) trains between major towns/cities. Nice and fast, but reservations required and you have to book ahead to catch a discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom