Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had very good luck with VRBO/Homeaway (now the same company). In Rome we rented this place 8 years ago. (It didn't have the loud tile in the bathroom at the time.) Owners were awesome to deal with.
Apartment for 5 people in Rome - VRBO (Although I rented it through Venere.com at the time.)

When we were in Tuscany about 4 years ago we rented a place south of Florence, outside of Greve in Chianti, but we had a car. It was a great base to go see Florence, the Chianti towns, Sienna, and just chill and relax in the vineyards.
Vacation home Badia in Badia a Passignano,... - VRBO

Your kids are lucky to have you as a parent!

That's a very nice thought to wake up to! :flowers: Thank you Rodi.

The planning is going very well. There will be 7 of us traveling as I invited my parents to share the experience with us and the kids. For those who may not know my story, we moved almost 2 years ago when we decided to ER, and since then, the kids unfortunately haven't seen their grandparents. Other than facetime of course.

Well I've booked these places in Rome and Florence. The Rome property has lots of great reviews, but the Florence one has none. Even so, it looks great and I'm confident there'll be no problems. The only weird thing is it's cash upon arrival. Guess I'll have to get 1000 Euro's out of the ATM over the course of a couple days.

15% Off Feb-Mar - Trastevere - Luminous Apt... - VRBO

Aldobrandini - Inside: Florentine sky - VRBO

Also, got what I believe is a great buy on airline tickets. Driving 8 hours into Canada and saving almost $1000 per ticket. :dance: That adds a couple days to the trip, but also adds nice spending cash for Italy.

Today I'll book the train to/from Florence. Also planning a day trip to Pisa, but from what I've read, don't think I need to pre-book that train.

I spent the last few days booking various train fares as the summer schedules are starting to get released. The seat61.com website is amazing for helping navigate the system. Some of our tickets require reservations even though they're 2nd class - because of overnight cuccettes, legs on the eurostar, etc.

So far I've booked
- bologna-Venice. (Probably didn't need to book that already - but it had a supersaver rate so I snagged it.)
- Venice - Vienna - Prague. It's an overnight trip and there's a huge price difference in the supersaver and the regular price.
- Amsterdam - London. We'd been toying with the idea of doing the rail/sail combo - but the timing would have meant paying extra at checkin in London because of the hour we'd arrive, or losing a day in Amsterdam... after going back and forth at all the options (train, plane, train+ferry) I pulled the cord and bought train tickets. I couldn't get the cheapest price - it kept showing the price - then denying me when I want to buy - so I spent an extra 20euro and locked it in.
- London to Paris.

I still need to get:
* Catania to Giarre-Riposto. I'm waiting on this because I want to see if cousins are going to volunteer to pick us up in Catania.
* Giarre-Riposto to Bologna, via Rome. It's just outside the window of when I can purchase... Again, this is an overnight train, so I want to lock in a low price and reserve the cuccettes.
* Paris to Nice
* Nice to Aix-en-Provence
* Aix-en-Provence to Barcelona.

All the activity of foreign train ticket purchases triggered Capital One fraud folks to contact me. I'm glad they're paying attention.

That's a very nice thought to wake up to! :flowers: Thank you Rodi.

The planning is going very well. There will be 7 of us traveling as I invited my parents to share the experience with us and the kids. For those who may not know my story, we moved almost 2 years ago when we decided to ER, and since then, the kids unfortunately haven't seen their grandparents. Other than facetime of course.

Well I've booked these places in Rome and Florence. The Rome property has lots of great reviews, but the Florence one has none. Even so, it looks great and I'm confident there'll be no problems. The only weird thing is it's cash upon arrival. Guess I'll have to get 1000 Euro's out of the ATM over the course of a couple days.

15% Off Feb-Mar - Trastevere - Luminous Apt... - VRBO

Aldobrandini - Inside: Florentine sky - VRBO

Also, got what I believe is a great buy on airline tickets. Driving 8 hours into Canada and saving almost $1000 per ticket. :dance: That adds a couple days to the trip, but also adds nice spending cash for Italy.

Today I'll book the train to/from Florence. Also planning a day trip to Pisa, but from what I've read, don't think I need to pre-book that train.

Great apartments in great locations. The Florence one is in a perfect spot.

Here are some reviews of the florence apartment
https://www.waytostay.com/florence-apartments/aldobrandini-5698/reviews/

Road Scholar Aon Trip Insurance Ripoff

“Road Scholar Travel Insurance Ripoff on 13-day Panama Costa Rica tour”

I booked a 13-day Panama Costa Rica tour in October 2014. The tour was very pricy, $4,389 (this included a solo supplement), plus $366 in Road Scholar-recommended travel insurance through Berkely Care, a division of Aon. Since I am not a US citizen, I required a B2 Visa to enter the US from Costa Rica. I applied for the visa in October 2014 and got an appointment at the US embassy in Panama on January 7, 2015, three days before the trip began. The embassy normally grants B2 visas in 2-4 days. On January 8, I was notified that the embassy had a problem reading my fingerprints and that I needed to see a doctor to determine the medical causes and treatment of this condition. On January 13, I saw a dermatologist who wrote a letter that the embassy accepted on January 14th. However, the group was leaving Panama on January 15th and I did not have my passport, which was still at the embassy from January 7th. I did eventually get the visa, but too late to rejoin the party. I incurred considerable expense in hotels, extra airfare and Road Scholar taxis to Panama City doctor/US embassy from various tour group locations.

After my January 21 return from Panama, I filed a claim with Aon. Aon initially didn't even want to send the claim forms. I contacted Road Scholar, but they said maybe they could offer me another tour but only after receiving a formal denial of my claim from Aon. So I insisted that Aon send me the claim forms and Aon denied the claim on the basis of "inappropriate documents" (my fingerprints?) When I challenged Aon, they agreed to look at the case once more, and denied it again:

"Since you did not seek treatment by a licensed physician during the program, your losses are not covered covered under the terms and conditions of the Road Scholar Protection Plan."

I knew then that Aon hadn't even looked at the file, since I had provided them with the January 13, 2015 dermatologist's letter. Road Scholar, needless to say, would not answer my calls, although they bombarded me with offers to go on future trips and wanted feedback on the trip I had only partially taken. In looking closer at the relationship between Road Scholar and Aon, I learned the following:

"The Berkley Group is a travel insurance wholesaler who provides travel insurance to tour operators, cruise lines, and other travel providers. Most of their plans are custom designed for the specific travel provider, however, since they use the same underwriting company there are similarities in benefit wording and exclusions. Many of the plans that they offer are combination plans that have two components:

pre-departure "waiver" plan that is usually not underwritten by a licensed insurance carrier but rather by the tour operator. In some cases it's advertised as "cancel for any reason" however, instead of a cash payment for your loss they offer a travel voucher that is only good for a specific period of time and which can only be used with the tour operator; and
post departure coverage is the second portion provided by The Berkely Group and underwritten by a licensed insurance company which usually includes all of the typical post-departure coverage such as trip interruption, emergency evacuation, travel medical, baggage, etc. Some of the tour company plans that we've seen have had less than modest amounts of emergency evacuation coverage that might only be appropriate for travel within the USA or Canada.

"Most consumer advocates recommend against buying coverage that is offered directly to you from a tour operator, cruise line, or airline. Custom made plans offered by travel providers usually have more restrictions and because they are mass marketed they tend to generate more consumer complaints. Also, most custom made plans offered by travel providers are "community rated" instead of age rated. That means that much older travelers might find them lower priced than the retail age rated plans however, for everybody else they might be more expensive than retail plans available through on line comparison sites."

So if you are considering a trip with Road Scholar, make sure that nothing unforeseen happens to you pre-or post-commencement of the tour to render your investment in the trip worthless. And take a pass on their insurance.

Next month I fly into Casablanca, depart Barcelona 5 weeks later, with a 4 night layover in Istanbul on the way home. First time for all 3 countries. No idea how I'll split the time between Morocco and Spain. I expect it to be obvious from how much I'm liking Morocco. Besides Barca, the only Spain I expect to see will be TBD in Andalucia. I would like to visit the Feria de Caballo (horse fair) in Cadiz. It's the town's second biggest annual festival.

One of my favorite trips in the past was mostly southern Spain with a side trip to Tangiers. The ferry trip was awesome in and of itself - dolphins riding the wake of the ferry. Have a great time in both countries!

Booked the Europe flights today.

I've been having fun with capitainetrain.com for the train tickets. Awesome site!

I still need to get:
* Catania to Giarre-Riposto. I'm waiting on this because I want to see if cousins are going to volunteer to pick us up in Catania.
* Giarre-Riposto to Bologna, via Rome. It's just outside the window of when I can purchase... Again, this is an overnight train, so I want to lock in a low price and reserve the cuccettes.
* Paris to Nice
* Nice to Aix-en-Provence
* Aix-en-Provence to Barcelona.

All the activity of foreign train ticket purchases triggered Capital One fraud folks to contact me. I'm glad they're paying attention.
We are using captainetrain.com for our France TGV tickets plus our Thalys Paris to Amsterdam trip. The site is great to use, and once you have a ticket in the cart, you can wait several days, even over a week, before paying for it. It depends on the train line and ticket type, of course.

Leaving soon for two weeks in Rome and Vienna. I've lived in both cities in the past and love to return to visit. Got a rock bottom price round trip ticket and Europe is a real bargain now. Low prices sweeten the deal. Can't wait!

Glad you got a nice ticket. We paid quite a bit more this year, but I expect it's due to the time when we'll be in Europe - closer to summer. We would have saved $400 per person if we'd left on May 15 instead of May 20, but that schedule didn't work out.

So the dollar strength is nice compensation for the pricier airfare.

Munich beginning of next month.

Anyone been to Neuswanstein? 4 Hours on train round trip. Then time on buses.

Heard visit is only 30 minutes.

Neuschwanstein is a fabulous visit, but you'll need hours to really enjoy it.
If you're going there, I would recommend other side trips like Linderhof and the Zugspitz, just to name a couple.

The fare I got was so low--less than 1/2 price normal fares--I called a travel agent to confirm it wasn't a mistake. She hadn't seen it yet and excitedly booked a trip herself on the spot.

Just booked two weeks in Tanzania on a photo safari. Using shoulder season (early June) which is just past the rains and before the spring heat up.

Neuschwanstein is a fabulous visit, but you'll need hours to really enjoy it.
If you're going there, I would recommend other side trips like Linderhof and the Zugspitz, just to name a couple.

I've see some guided tours, either using trains or a coach and do DIY accounts.

They all say about 9 hours minimum from Munich. Beyond the transit time and the allowed visit in the castle of 30 minutes, presumably there are other visits.

For instance, this one includes Linderhof:

Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and Linderhof Day Tour from Munich - Munich | Viator

There are several other day trips offered, all at least 8 hours in duration. I guess I'll see what the weather looks like and look at choosing one, since I'd only have only one day for a full-day trip.

Currently on DH retirement trip. All over the US. Only dampened by finding out my 85 year old mom has cancer and doesn't have long to live. On our way to Tx first to see her.

Munich beginning of next month.

Stay in Füssen, and hook up with European Castle tours. Fabulous day, perfectly timed. You don't have to deal with any logistics.

There were only two couples (including us) in the van the day we went. Sweet!

Don't go through Viator. Avoid the middleman and large tour buses.

http://www.europeancastlestours.com/tours/daytours-bav-skd.htm

It's worth spending a couple of nights in Füssen. It's a lovely train ride there, and an incredibly scenic location. A lovely town to walk around. Nice in the evenings when most of the tourist hoardes are gone. I wish we had spent a little more time there.

Last edited:
Ah already booked Munich hotel for whole stay. It seems most of these day trips are a 2 hour train ride out of Munich.

Guess a longer visit would be warranted some day, maybe with a car rental for more flexibility.

Want to visit Hallstatt some day but that's closer to Salzburg, while Munich may also be closer to Salzburg than Vienna?

Ah already booked Munich hotel for whole stay. It seems most of these day trips are a 2 hour train ride out of Munich.

Guess a longer visit would be warranted some day, maybe with a car rental for more flexibility.

Want to visit Hallstatt some day but that's closer to Salzburg, while Munich may also be closer to Salzburg than Vienna?

Munich is close to Salzburg. Vienna and Hallstatt are much farther away. It's 2hrs to Salzburg from Munich, I think. Salzburg is lovely. So if you are trying to see a bit of Austria, I highly recommend it.

While in Munich: we really enjoyed Nymphenburg Palace grounds, particularly the small palaces on the grounds. Easy tram ride from city center.

Also the Treasury and Munich Residenz are amazing. In city center.

That Viator tour indicates both Neuschwanstein and Linderhof are covered (maybe not - see below). Visiting both makes a good day. We enjoyed Linderhof just as much. Stunning grounds. You'll be driving through some very pretty country.

It's a loooong day with all that travel, but if you have to do it out of Munich that may be your best option. Unless the castle tours aren't actually included, in which case I'm not sure about that offering.

But it sounds like from the descriptions that you have the "option" of joining the guided tours of each palace. They are not included then. I would want to go on a tour where this was included and already arranged. The description is quite confusing. If I were traveling that far I would visit both castles. And access is tricky to Neuschwanstein, so having the tour arrangements and transportation up to the castle taken care of is critical. This sounds like they are only covering the ground transportation.

Last edited:
I adore Salzburg. I have been there many, many times. It and Vienna are top destinations for me. I'd recommend a bus tour from Salzburg of the salzkammergut region which includes Hallstatt. All outstandingly picturesque and beautiful and very steeped in history--ie. the history of salt itself! The Sound of Music tour from Salzburg is also recommended as it goes to some of these towns and you get to sing your head off on the bus and generally act goofy.

It would not include 22 Euro of entrance fees. Not sure if this means they'll take care of making the appointments. I know Neuschwanstein requires an appt. but not sure about Linderhof.

It says "Four hours to explore Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castle and grounds" and "One-hour visit to Linderhof"

Sounds unbalanced, too much time for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein vs. only one hour for Linderhof.

Otherwise I could get a Bayern ticket and try to get there myself on the train and buses but wouldn't be able to get to Linderhof probably. I read one account of people doing this and they said it took 9 hours.

It would not include 22 Euro of entrance fees. Not sure if this means they'll take care of making the appointments. I know Neuschwanstein requires an appt. but not sure about Linderhof.

It says "Four hours to explore Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castle and grounds" and "One-hour visit to Linderhof"

Sounds unbalanced, too much time for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein vs. only one hour for Linderhof.

Otherwise I could get a Bayern ticket and try to get there myself on the train and buses but wouldn't be able to get to Linderhof probably. I read one account of people doing this and they said it took 9 hours.
The reason they have all the time for Neuschwanstein is the tricky logistics. You have to buy a ticket which gives you a set time. Then you have to get up to the castle somehow - it's a long steep climb, or you have to get a ticket for transport. They may also be taking into account delays for entrance delays at the castle. And there may be delays waiting to buy entramce tickets. There is a second castle available to visit at Hohenschwangau as well as a museum. It's a beautiful location.

It's complicated which is why we went with a day trips that took care of all the tickets and scheduling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom