Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize there were 3 separate venues, the two castles and the museum.

There are various combo tickets but the one for seeing both castles would be €23:

https://www.hohenschwangau.de/550.0.html

Seems like it wouldn't make sense to go all the way out there without seeing both castles but I'm not sure how the timing works, if there are appointments required. Or maybe they allow tour groups to visit inside whenever.

This blogger apparently went to only Neuschwanstein on the Bayern ticket and it still took 9 hours and they spent €58 Euro for a couple:

Getting to Neuschwanstein from Munich - Entouriste

The reason they have all the time for Neuschwanstein is the tricky logistics. You have to buy a ticket which gives you a set time. Then you have to get up to the castle somehow - it's a long steep climb, or you have to get a ticket for transport. They may also be taking into account delays for entrance delays at the castle. And there may be delays waiting to buy entramce tickets. There is a second castle available to visit at Hohenschwangau as well as a museum. It's a beautiful location.

It's complicated which is why we went with a day trips that took care of all the tickets and scheduling.

I haven't visited Neuschwanstein but that is what I surmised.

I haven't visited Neuschwanstein but that is what I surmised.

That's basically why we ended up going with an organized small group day tour, and ultimately why we decided to schedule the visit such that we could spend two nights in Füssen. Neuschwanstein is so heavily visited that they have to be very rigid in their scheduling. The inside tour is fantastic. You can't take photos inside, unfortunately.

I'm glad we did it it that way. We enjoyed Füssen very much, especially early and late when the day trippers were gone, and the tour company was outstanding.

We could have gone with them from Munich, but that involved several hours of driving in one day and fewer sites, and it was considerably more expensive.

Read up more on the tours and from the reviews people gave the tour, it appears they have some skip the line arrangement for groups, so you don't have to make an appointment to visit inside.

So if you want, you pay extra and then make your way up hill.

But apparently they only allow the option to visit inside Neuswanstein, not the other castle (Hohenschwangau) or the museum. Supposedly no cameras allowed inside so that makes paying extra to visit inside less compelling for me.

So now I wonder if this tour would be worth it just to visit Linderhof for only an hour (where I can pay extra to visit inside or spend time around the grounds), then a short stop at Oberammergau, and then free time at Neuschwanstein where if I opt not to visit inside, I could go up to Marienbruke, take photos there (maybe also get close enough to the castle without going in, though it seems the climb up the hill is not insignificant) and then hang out down below.

The Alpenrose restaurant with the lake as the backdrop looks really nice.

Another they trip they have is to go to Salzburg, go on the Sound of Music Tour and then go to Wolfgangsee with an optional boat ride. That lake really looks spectacular. Not sure how it compares to Hallstatt but the pics of the towns by the lake look amazing.

Hallstatt is too far for this trip but Salzburg and Wolfgangsee looks more attractive than Neuschwanstein in many ways. Would have to have clear weather forecast for the trip to be worth it though.

Ah maybe I have to go on two day trips ...

How long are you staying in Munich? There are lots of things to see much closer than Salzburg or Neuschwanstein.

If the tour company takes care of skipping the line for you that's a major benefit. Maybe they help you arrange transport up the hill too?

Only five days on the ground.

So if the weather is nice, I'd enjoy going up to the mountains and seeing lakes.

At least one day trip, weather permitting, would be great.

It's a tough call. Those day trips will be long days.

You can easily spend a day at Nymphenburg palace. We ran out of time and had to skip the carriage museum. (Part of it I was not well).

The Treasury and Residenz can take most of a day.

Another day to enjoy walking around and sightseeing. The Victualienmarkt, the massive English garden, various churches.

We really enjoyed the Alta Pinakotek art museum, if you like historically significant paintings like Albrecht Durer's self portrait. We only had time to visit part of it.

I really tried not to cram too much into last year's Europe trip. We still ended up with twice as much to do than we possibly could in many locations. I'm trying to schedule less per day this upcoming trip and slow the pace. Smaller museums is part of my strategy as well as having some days not committed.

We did the stuff above crammed into two days and were way rushed (Munich was our shortest stay), and had to miss quite a few things at some venues and other sites entirely. I needed twice the time. But I think what we planned was still less than what many tourists attempt!

BTW the Bavarian Palace 14 day pass covers a huge number or palaces and related museums all over Bavaria. It includes the castles around Füssen. Bavarian Palace Department | Palaces | Annual season tickets and 14 day tickets

Last edited:
We really enjoyed the Alte Pinakotek art museum, if you like historically significant paintings like Albrecht Durer's self portrait. We only had time to visit part of it.

Second this recommendation. We LOVED that museum. The Deutsches Museum in Munich is also great- it's oriented towards science and technology. There's a homely little green light aircraft that a family built and planned to fly from East Germany to West Germany. They were found out and imprisoned (but a year later deported to West Germany!). It was powered with two motorcycle engines.

Anyway- I just took the plunge after dithering for ages- we booked a trip to Iceland in August. :D I'm reeling a little because we booked Business Class (far easier on DH and I have to admit I like it, too) and then paid in advance for the hotel- best rate I could find and it's cancellable if I find something else. Total committed so far is .35% of our invested assets so it's not like we're breaking the bank but it's a lotta money. Still, DH and I LOVE history, Geology and Old English (which is close to Icelandic). Woo-hoo!

Second this recommendation. We LOVED that museum. The Deutsches Museum in Munich is also great- it's oriented towards science and technology. There's a homely little green light aircraft that a family built and planned to fly from East Germany to West Germany. They were found out and imprisoned (but a year later deported to West Germany!). It was powered with two motorcycle engines.
I would have loved to spend hours in the Alte Pinakothek. We got to spend a couple of hours on the section that had the renaissance Netherlands/Germany painting and an early DaVinci, and even that was great.

Part of it was under renovation when we were there - last Sept that was the Masters part with Raphael/Rembrandt. But my target that day was Dürer and his contemporaries. The museum fee was a bit cheaper since the collection was only partly available.

Last edited:

Anyway- I just took the plunge after dithering for ages- we booked a trip to Iceland in August. :D I'm reeling a little because we booked Business Class (far easier on DH and I have to admit I like it, too) and then paid in advance for the hotel- best rate I could find and it's cancellable if I find something else. Total committed so far is .35% of our invested assets so it's not like we're breaking the bank but it's a lotta money. Still, DH and I LOVE history, Geology and Old English (which is close to Icelandic). Woo-hoo!

Congrats, on the Iceland booking. One of very few places I would like to travel too. Some neat places to see and apparently you can relax as there is little crime there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW, I've been to Iceland in both January and June, and had a wonderful time on both trips. It can be quite expensive, especially Reykjavik restaurants, but well worth a visit. Nearly everyone speaks perfect English, but I was also amused at how easy it often is to puzzle out the written language on signs in public places.

Congrats, on the Iceland booking. One of very few places I would like to travel too. Some neat places to see and apparently you can relax as there is little crime there.

Well, I'm glad to hear about the low crime rate! DH is practically a pickpocket magnet (he stands out because he's tall, grey-haired and moves slowly) but maybe I'll let him carry money on this trip.

Well, I'm glad to hear about the low crime rate! DH is practically a pickpocket magnet (he stands out because he's tall, grey-haired and moves slowly) but maybe I'll let him carry money on this trip.

It's in the top 10 least crime countries in the world. Although the countries population is very small I read they usually have less than 200 prisoners and many of them go home on the weekend. I hope I didn't curse you, Athena!

MO has a bunch of great state parks FWIW. Onondaga Cave State Park not far from I44 has really nice big rig parking and looks to be right on the NASA path. The camping is down in a valley, which is very scenic, but you may have to drive up to higher ground to witness the eclipse.

The cave is worth visiting too. Onondaga Cave State Park | Missouri State Parks

Last edited:
MO has a bunch of great state parks FWIW. Onondaga Cave State Park not far from I44 has really nice big rig parking and looks to be right on the NASA path. The camping is down in a valley, which is very scenic, but you may have to drive up to higher ground to witness the eclipse.

The cave is worth visiting too. Onondaga Cave State Park | Missouri State Parks

Just another option in the area is a private place directly across the river from Onondaga Cave State Park: Ozark Outdoors Riverfront Resort, Leasburg, Missouri

I have camped at both places; and, I think either would be good. I am currently leaning toward the private campground because, if memory serves me and things have not changed, they have more wide open space for eclipse viewing. Hopefully I can make it back to the area this summer and provide a better update/recommendation.

Great marketing idea for my younger brother. He owns a campground in Versailles, MO (SW of Jefferson City), which is right on the edge of the path of totality.

Does he pronounce it correctly for a Missourian?

Does he pronounce it correctly for a Missourian?

We don't travel much internationally in MO so the translation kind of got mixed up here...
Versailles= Ver Sales
Cairo- Kay row
And we steal names of states and can't pronounce them right either... Nevada= Na Veyda
Of course depending on which part of the state you live in the name of the state is pronounced different.. Missouree... Missourah...

We don't travel much internationally in MO so the translation kind of got mixed up here...
Versailles= Ver Sales
Cairo- Kay row
And we steal names of states and can't pronounce them right either... Nevada= Na Veyda
Of course depending on which part of the state you live in the name of the state is pronounced different.. Missouree... Missourah...

I was always told that it was misery. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom