Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, is that material like nylon?

I have some athletic briefs like that, mix of nylon and spandex to stretch.

But they can cause chafing on long workouts. I don't run on trips but could walk a lot of miles a day.

I bought some cotton blend athletic briefs which are way more comfortable. And they may dry quicker. Maybe I'll try washing those and see how quickly they dry.

But humidity has been real high too on this trip.

I started wearing Exofficio underwear. It wicks moisture away from the body so it's great active wear. It is also quick dry. I can wash a pair out at night and they are typically dry by morning. I can travel indefinitely with 3 pair of underwear. They aren't cheap though, I've been paying about $18 per pair. I'm getting rid of all my cotton underwear and using these for everyday wear.

Give-N-Go Travel Underwear | ExOfficio.com

THOSE ARE AMAZING! We called them magic underwear for years before realizing that some people with better religious awareness than us thought we were talking about Mormon underwear, lol!

Come to think about it, I am a bit of an ex-officio zealot...

And beware of imitations, there is nothing quite like them in the quick dry arena. I will say I was less impressed with their bras. Did not hold up as well as the panties.

I packed 10 underwear, changing every day. I had laundry done after 5 or 6 days. Could have packed less and maybe hand washed. Problem was the longest hotel stay was 3 days so wasn't going to be able to let it dry a couple of days.

More importantly, didn't want to hand wash clothes every night or every other night.

I always take enough underwear to last the trip, a pair a day, no matter how long, but women's underwear doesn't take up much space (some versions take up even less space but those are not in my wardrobe :)). We were out of the country for two weeks and I took a 20" roller bag and a big purse. I always pack a travel-size Febreeze and spritz clothes the second time we wear them. I don't think we have ever washed clothes in all our travels, but I would just have the hotel do it if we needed to.

DH needed the 22" expandable for the same trip--he can't pull off the loose-fitting yoga pants and long tops for travel like I can, so his clothes take up more room, but he did find some nice very lightweight REI pants. He had to take a suit w/dress shoes, too, for a special occasion during the trip, so amazing he fit everything in.

It's much easier for me to travel light in the summer--there are great Merrell walking sandals that are on the less-casual side that I wear every day (love the sportier ones but these are more all-purpose and we generally are not going off the beaten path).

Last edited:
I always take enough underwear to last the trip, a pair a day, no matter how long, but women's underwear doesn't take up much space (some versions take up even less space but those are not in my wardrobe :)). We were out of the country for two weeks and I took a 20" roller bag and a big purse.

That works for a 2 week trip... not so much for a 9 week trip. LOL.

For our big summer trip we each took 7 pairs of underwear - because I knew I could do laundry at least once a week. Family of 4 and I did a couple small loads per week (except when we didn't have a washer in Bologna and in Prague but those were only a 3 nights each.). I say small loads because most of the washers couldn't hold much. By having a weeks worth of underwear I could wash half and a few days for them to dry (worst case)... but usually stuff dried in well under 24 hours.

That works for a 2 week trip... not so much for a 9 week trip. LOL.

For our big summer trip we each took 7 pairs of underwear - because I knew I could do laundry at least once a week. Family of 4 and I did a couple small loads per week (except when we didn't have a washer in Bologna and in Prague but those were only a 3 nights each.). I say small loads because most of the washers couldn't hold much. By having a weeks worth of underwear I could wash half and a few days for them to dry (worst case)... but usually stuff dried in well under 24 hours.

Yes, nine weeks with a family of four is not probably not the typical travel adventure here. Glad you could all keep the laundry chores covered.

But they can cause chafing on long workouts. I don't run on trips but could walk a lot of miles a day.

I bought some cotton blend athletic briefs which are way more comfortable. And they may dry quicker. Maybe I'll try washing those and see how quickly they dry.

The mens ex-officio stuff is synthetic, but the weave they use is well thought out. i've done lots of walking hiking in them with no chafing issues. you can wash them in the sink and they'll be dry the next morning. i can go on 3 pair indefinitely.

We travelled for six months. Somehow I cannot imagine my wife packing 183 pairs of underwear!

No matter how long we travel, we essentially take at a maximum a weeks worth of clothing. Sometimes a bit less.

We travelled for six months. Somehow I cannot imagine my wife packing 183 pairs of underwear!

No matter how long we travel, we essentially take at a maximum a weeks worth of clothing. Sometimes a bit less.

Now you know what to get her for her birthday! :) Actually the Exofficio website Helen posted above has some things I would definitely invest in if I had to be on the road in places without self-service laundry facilities for six months.

I have not had any chafing problems with these. I bought them for hiking and to do multi day backpacking trips since they wick the moisture away from the body. I've worn them for many miles without any problems.

After I bought them I realized they were great for traveling too since they dry so quickly.

DH wears a lot of UnderArmor - particularly for walking/hiking/outdoors. Underwear that comes down and clings at mid thigh. He likes this because it doesn't travel up and bunch. Whatever the fabric is it's super comfortable. He would absolutely not tolerate chafing.

These do dry quickly.

We travel quite frequently. Five months out of the past twelve.

We find ourselves shopping for clothes with travel/packing in mind. What I mean is that when we always end up buying clothing articles that are good for travel. Easy care fabrics that wash well, clothes that layer, comfortable and light shoes, all in the same colour range.

Don't know when we started doing it but we do. Just came back from five weeks. Based on this trip, next time I will drop two shirts, one pair of beige shorts, some socks, and two underwear. I will look for some new light weight shorts to replace the heavy weight cotton ones that I now have.

We travel quite frequently. Five months out of the past twelve.

Don't know when we started doing it but we do. Just came back from five weeks....

I bet you can pack a suitcase in no time!

We have 12 weeks traveling in 2015 done or scheduled but only two trips were two weeks (hence the pack enough underwear to last the trip and no worries re laundry, for the most part)--things start blurring for me past that. Only four trips scheduled for 2016 at this point.

I read these sorts of things all the time, but for some reason this one was particularly helpful, I thought. I'm a junkie for clever packing tips and ideas, always looking for the magical way to pack more in less. And yet, when traveling, I happily go to hobo status immediately, with hardly any regard for more than basic hygiene, which usually means washing a shirt after I've worn it 3 days in a row!

The Ultimate Guide to Packing for a Long-Term Trip | BootsnAll

... I happily go to hobo status immediately, with hardly any regard for more than basic hygiene, which usually means washing a shirt after I've worn it 3 days in a row!

And get a couple more days out of it before it needs washing by turning it inside out. :LOL:

I actually don't find that clothing is that important in my packing decisions anymore, no matter what the length of the trip, so am surprised that so many travel packing lists/articles tend to focus on this. I travel for long periods at a time (1-2 months at a go, usually, for 5-6 months a year), and have no problem going with relatively little clothing that I wear for multiple days and wash along the way by hand. Layering is of course key, especially when a trip spans dramatic climate differences. All in all, clothing decisions have become pretty standardized, but even there I'm sure I'm sure I could even take less than I currently do.

But no matter where or how long I travel, clothing just doesn't constitute the biggest element in my packing these days. In fact, increasingly the biggest driver of luggage weight and space for very long trips seem to be (a) toiletries/medicines and (b) electronics-related gear. For (a), I tend to bring everything I "might" need (first aid, antibiotics, etc.), as well as consumables like contact solution that I'll definitely need because it is very hard and/ or expensive to get easily abroad, especially in developing countries, and hunting such things down is *not* how I want to spend my time. The good news is that I 'use up' many f those heavy liquids as I go, thereby reducing luggage weight over the weeks. As for (b), if I carry an SLR camera, two smartphones (my US phone and my 'travel' unlocked phone for local SIM cards); a small convertible laptop/tablet; travel chargers and converters; etc. etc. -- that's easily 15+ pounds right there! So between these two packing categories alone the weight very easily takes up much of the 50 lb. airplane max. Other non-clothing items also tend to be heavy depending on the trip, including everything from clothes washing powder to a headlamp flashlight to a Swiss army knife to extra batteries, etc. etc. etc.

As for carrying it all - I am a female who just turned 60 but still use a (good quality) backpack, IMHO infinitely more practical and ergonomically better designed for carrying around a 40-50 pound weight than a roller or a duffel. This is especially true if you have to walk over uneven surfaces, long staircases, etc. -- including in train and bus stations or anywhere else you need to get. The other advantage of a backpack is that you have your hands free to carry other smaller items or hold on to handrails or whatever.

Anyway, I am lucky in that I don't have back or joint problems at this point, and I realize I may not be able to do the backpack approach for many more years :), but I've never found an alternative that is more practical for travel when you yourself are responsible for moving your crap from point A to B, so will definitely hold on as long as I can! (Or until I move completely to a traveling style that includes **other** people responsible for my heavy luggage -- and that day will come!!!! :) :)).

> I carry ... my US phone and my 'travel' unlocked phone for local SIM cards

Consider getting an unlocked phone. Then you only need to carry one.

The last time I bought a phone I purchased the unlocked, full price version. It's a chunk of change, but cheaper in the long run than "leasing" from the phone company and pay extra each month. AND it's unlocked and I can pop any SIM card into it I want...

The last time I bought a phone I purchased the unlocked, full price version. It's a chunk of change, but cheaper in the long run than "leasing" from the phone company and pay extra each month. AND it's unlocked and I can pop any SIM card into it I want...

Problem is, I simultaneously want to keep my US phone with its US number (and apps associated with that number), so it gets complicated switching back and forth between SIMs on the same device....

Bestwifever...I could pack and be out of here in 15 minutes max. Spouse might need 20 minutes. For a week or for several months.

I plan on keeping my old, unlocked GSM iPhone when I eventually get a new iPhone. It makes a great travel phone and I doubt if I could get a better one for what it is worth.

I actually don't bother buying a local SIM card and swapping it. AT&T currently has a semi-reasonable option for overseas data (well, at least in Europe). I don't actually use the phone much as a phone (you know, for talking), but data is really useful for maps and looking up other stuff.

I actually don't bother buying a local SIM card and swapping it. AT&T currently has a semi-reasonable option for overseas data (well, at least in Europe)..

Yes, AT&T's Passport option is very good, and I've used it a number of times in Europe in the last year or so.

But the limitation is the phone number. Sometimes when I'm in another country, I would like a local phone number for any of a variety of reasons. Sometimes it has even been essential. So carrying an extra cheap unlocked phone just for the purpose of being able to put in a local prepaid SIM is only a small hassle.

You just have to be sure your "travel phone" has the requisite frequencies for where you are. Generally, I think if it's a "quad band" GSM phone it should work most places.

Or just use T-mobile. You don't have to worry about dealing with a different phone, finding and switching SIMs (and being careful not to lose the home one), etc. Much easier!!!!

Having a European number hasn't been an issue in our recent travels so we're going to convenience next time and both of us will have T-Mobile smart phones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom