Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Building an itinerary for a Colorado trip late July into early August. Colorado Springs for 4 nights planned with forays to Pike Peak, Cripple Creek, and Royal Gorge planned. After that 4 nights in Keystone. Intend to venture the back routes to Alpine Tunnel Historic Site, I've been there before a few times. My brother has been volunteering to work there for several years to assist in rebuilding some of the historically significant railroad features, interesting place, that I find is is more scenic than challenging to navigate to even for a flatlander like me - as long as I don't meet any traffic while on the Palisades. Any other place of interest, events in early August to catch while we're there? Oh, and I'm thinking a stop in Alliance, Nebraska to see "Carhenge" is in order.

Attachments

• carhenge.png
    carhenge.png
    392.9 KB · Views: 15
Building an itinerary for a Colorado trip late July into early August. Colorado Springs for 4 nights planned with forays to Pike Peak, Cripple Creek, and Royal Gorge planned. After that 4 nights in Keystone. Intend to venture the back routes to Alpine Tunnel Historic Site, I've been there before a few times. My brother has been volunteering to work there for several years to assist in rebuilding some of the historically significant railroad features, interesting place, that I find is is more scenic than challenging to navigate to even for a flatlander like me - as long as I don't meet any traffic while on the Palisades. Any other place of interest, events in early August to catch while we're there? Oh, and I'm thinking a stop in Alliance, Nebraska to see "Carhenge" is in order.

Have fun! The Royal Gorge..... That is where I found out about 7 years ago I was afraid of extreme heights... Went to walk across the bridge and my feet froze at the edge and refused to cooperate with my body. The fence is what 5 foot high? No way I could fall off, heck there were 3 years olds running wild on it, but that didn't matter to my feet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Starting to put together a rough outline of a 2-3 week trip back east. It will involve a week (or more) in Philly to see family. Some time before that in DC and some time after that in NYC. The DC/NYC part of the trip are because we declined to pay for expensive/craptastic school trips for the boys. (4 cities in 6 days - more time spent on a bus/plane than seeing sights.)

We are planning a trip in May down to San Diego to see DS, then over to Maui for 9 nights, 8 days. First time trying out VRBO and renting a small condo for 2. We plan on gentle activities like snorkeling and such. No zip lines thank you.

Just wondering if anyone has any exciting trips coming up that they would like to share. We are about done for this year, so am willing to live vicariously thru the travel plans of others.

About the only things we have on the horizon is a trip to UK in Jan for a 50th birthday (brr feeling cold already), perhaps 1 more trip to Hawaii this year and maybe drive to Seattle and Vancouver for Christmas.
Civil War RV Road Trip is in the planning stages for 2016 fall, after FIRED. Has anyone done this?:D:D

Building an itinerary for a Colorado trip late July into early August. Colorado Springs for 4 nights planned with forays to Pike Peak, Cripple Creek, and Royal Gorge planned. After that 4 nights in Keystone. Intend to venture the back routes to Alpine Tunnel Historic Site. Any other place of interest, events in early August to catch while we're there?
DW and I spent 2 weeks in Colorado last June. In Colorado Springs, go to Garden of the Gods Park. We also went to:

Great Sand Dunes National Park
Mesa Verde
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Colorado National Monument
Maroon Bells near Aspen
Rocky Mountain National Park
Denver museums, etc.

Let me know if you would like any details. We got great use of an annual National Parks pass.

The photos are Garden of the Gods, Colorado Monument, & Rocky Mtn Park

Attachments

• 1290.jpg
    1290.jpg
    732.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 1450.jpg
    1450.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 1580.jpg
    1580.jpg
    948.2 KB · Views: 11
DW and I have our own plans for a Feb cruise to the eastern Caribbean. Going to visit Puerto Rico, Tortola, Martinique, Dominica, St. Kitts, and St. Thomas.

DW and I spent 2 weeks in Colorado last June.

Great pics, thanks......Colorado is one of the few states I haven't visited......will have to try and make it there.

Great pics, thanks......Colorado is one of the few states I haven't visited......will have to try and make it there.

We are pretty fond of Estes Park, just got back. No crowds this time of year. We love Rocky Mountain National Park, September is a good time. If mother nature cooperates you can catch the Aspens in color and the Elk in rut.

We are pretty fond of Estes Park, just got back. No crowds this time of year. We love Rocky Mountain National Park, September is a good time. If mother nature cooperates you can catch the Aspens in color and the Elk in rut.

I just did a recount...there are 8 states I haven't visited......love to do both Colorado & Utah in one trip.

Better make it a long trip or you will only scratch the surface. Those two states have some serious scenery to take in.

So, in & out before noon won't cut it? ;)

(Geez, and I haven't yet factored in the drive down and back. So much to see, so little time.)

DW and I spent 2 weeks in Colorado last June

We love the National parks. Spent a few weeks exploring the Tetons, Yellowstone and Theadore Roosevelt last spring. We have the Canadian Rockies and Alaska on our list for next summer. Next week, I'm doing some winter camping in Michigan's UP and hope the catch the dog races in Newberry and maybe elk photography in the Pigeon Forest area.

So, in & out before noon won't cut it? ;)

(Geez, and I haven't yet factored in the drive down and back. So much to see, so little time.)
Make sure to visit Four Corners to see evidence of civilization from 350 AD. And the cliff dwellers who disappeared around 1150 AD.

Make sure to visit Four Corners to see evidence of civilization from 350 AD. And the cliff dwellers who disappeared around 1150 AD.

Driven I-40, could've deked up there if I'd've thought of it......ah well, next time. (Hopefully there is a 'next time'.)

We have the Canadian Rockies and Alaska on our list for next summer.

Banff, Yoho, and Jasper parks in Alberta are fantastic. Spent 2 weeks there a couple years ago. Did Alaska in 2007. 2 week Princess cruise tour. One week on land from Fairbanks to Anchorage and a week on the boat down to Vancouver along the inside Passage.

We were there two years ago. We also spent several days in each of Prague and Budapest.

We did a day trip Danube cruise from Vienna. We took a train to Melk(?), toured the abbey and then got on the boat. It was very nice. Quite inexpensive as I recall.

We bought this a package from Austrian Railways.

We also booked our train to Budapest on the Austrian Railways web site. Our dates were firm and we saved about 30 percent by buying early and buying on line.

We bid our hotel on Priceline. Got the Renaissance Riding School. We were very pleased with the hotel, the price, and the location. We arrived by plane and simply took the tram from the airport directly to our hotel. Fast and easy...but we only travel with carry on so this may not be good for others.

You could do a day trip to Budapest. It would make for a long day but it could be done easily by train.

Here is a link to a tripadvisor forum from a person who did the Danube day cruise. We booked this the day before we took the tour because we wanted to be certain of good weather.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopi...Valley_Day_Trip_with_Combi_Ticket-Vienna.html

Last edited:
Driven I-40, could've deked up there if I'd've thought of it......ah well, next time. (Hopefully there is a 'next time'.)
Talk about blind luck. We were headed from Taos to Grand Canyon April 1 and the highway was closed due to a late season snow. Had to go north. So glad we did! Amazing!

(The gas station attendant at the detour said that they had spent their snow clearing budget for the season and it would have to melt.)

Starting to put together a rough outline of a 2-3 week trip back east. It will involve a week (or more) in Philly to see family. Some time before that in DC and some time after that in NYC. The DC/NYC part of the trip are because we declined to pay for expensive/craptastic school trips for the boys. (4 cities in 6 days - more time spent on a bus/plane than seeing sights.)

I live in DC - if you want/need any tips, feel free to PM me! The new baby panda at the zoo is adorable! ;)

As for us, we are all over the map as far as planning (pun intended). We have been discussing Croatia and Iceland for the summer, but my SIL also just moved to Oregon and I'd love to wine-tasting in Willamette valley...

Last edited:
After enjoying a couple of Viking River cruises, we're going to try their new Ocean going ship, the Viking Star. We'll be visiting a variety of ports in the western mediterranean.

Sadly, they changed the itinerary after the attacks on tourists in Tunisia. They dropped stops both there and Algers. We've been to Africa before, but never to North Africa. I was looking forward to visiting there. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom