Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're sitting in Rome after getting off a 2 week Holland America repositioning cruise from Ft. Lauderdale.

Never seen any more well traveled people than on H/A. Although we're 66 & 68 years old, the vast majority on the cruise were 1-2 generations older than us. Many spend 1/2 their retired lives cruising the seas all over the world.

Amazing about the ancient cruisers you had folks in their late 80s and older?

We just finished upgrading May flights on Cathay Pacific to China--yvr-hkg to business class--total RT for 2 in Biz Class well under 6K including a leg from Beijing back to HK.
Cathay Pacific has a 40% off Biz Class--they fly out SF and Vancouver on West Coast.
Nwsteve

We just finished upgrading May flights on Cathay Pacific to China--yvr-hkg to business class--total RT for 2 in Biz Class well under 6K including a leg from Beijing back to HK.
Cathay Pacific has a 40% off Biz Class--they fly out SF and Vancouver on West Coast.
Nwsteve

DH and I both agree that when the SS and pensions start rolling in in a couple of years, we will begin to fly first class rather than coach. We're about three years out from this happening, and looking forward to it tremendously.

We already travel roughly half the year, so more travel doesn't entice us as much as traveling nicer does!

On almost a whim I just booked us for a 10 day visit to Berlin and Prague the summer. I was in West Berlin in the 80's and have wanted to see all the changes. And haven't ever seen Prague and it seems worth doing. DW hasn't seen either.

DW has only been to Europe on shoulder season trips (they really are cheaper) and there was a nice pile of money sitting in the travel budget so off we go.

Without going over budget we can fly business class - even though it's well over 50% of the trip's cost. I'm not sure we'd do the trip without going BC. This spring we flew home from Barcelona in economy plus (no BC available for a reasonable cost then) and though it was passable, it was not something we really want to do for fun.

We're going to spend four days in Berlin and three in Prague with a train travel day in between. A nice contrast to the recent cruises.

I don't know Berlin but you'll love Prague. I went for the first time a few years ago and enjoyed it so much I've been back twice since then.

...... you'll love Prague. I went for the first time a few years ago and enjoyed it so much I've been back twice since then.
We really enjoyed Prague too, but overall we preferred Budapest.......not that it was a competition.....(and we have high hopes for Krakow also).

I've been to Berlin, Budapest and Prague, in that order. All of them are fascinating, but different. My personal ranking would be Budapest, Prague, Berlin. Favourite place in Berlin was the DDR museum.

Just booked a trip to the UK for September. Wasn't really planning to go back to the mother country but couldn't resist the fabulous price. $495 return form Memphis per person! (although I upped the cost to $700/person by paying for an upgrade to comfort+ on Delta; I'm tall and really appreciate the extra few inches).

No define plans yet but almost certainly a northeast (York/Durham/Newcastle/Edinburgh) and northwest (Glasgow/Lake District). Trying hard not to make a pilgrimage to Craster to buy some kippers - they're so good but its a bit off the beaten track. Any comments suggestions would be welcome!

Just back from an impromptu visit to Starved Rock SP in IL, and the nearby Matthiessen SP, which was even better! Next up: Yosemite and central CA.

Prague or Budapest? I plan to visit one country for a week. That's my style, one country for a week only, then I feel like at least I know it. If you were to choose one, which country?

Prague or Budapest? I plan to visit one country for a week. That's my style, one country for a week only, then I feel like at least I know it. If you were to choose one, which country?
Budapest for DW & me.

Only been to Prague but learned that Budapest is pretty close by. So you could look at splitting the week between both cities.

Might only be a couple of hours by train in between.

A couple of years ago, I split a week between Vienna and Prague. Was about a 4-5 hour train from Vienna to Prague.

Are they pretty similar?

No, each is quite unique, though they each have a communist past.

Prague is like the Disney of cities, with pretty fairytale castles and turrets. Lots of street performance and a plethora of musical offerings. It has been "discovered" for some time, and can be crowded. Lots of places to see outside the city.

Budapest is perhaps more classical in its architecture, very elegant, though decadent too. Also a very cultured city. I highly recommend the Parliament Building, Fisherman's Bastion, Jewish Museum, Dohany Street Synagogue, House of Terror and Statue Park. Budapest is a little more economical.

I could happily spend a week in either city. It would be difficult to choose one over the other.

I could happily spend a week in either city. It would be difficult to choose one over the other.

+1 We chose Budapest by a relatively narrow margin.

We went to Prague together, but my wife has been to Budapest on a separate trip.

Now that we are retired, the next time we go to Eastern Europe, will revisit both. No choice needed. :)

Last edited:
I think I might do 4 days in Prague and 4 days in Budapest. I might have to lengthen my trip. I was planning 8 weeks but it could be 9 weeks now. But I like to do two weeks in Italy. 1 week in Switzerland. 1 week in Netherlands because I want to see Van Gogh and Rembrand museums. Now that I'm taking my art class, I have much better appreciation for these masters paintings and techniques. And then 4 weeks in UK. Too many things to see and do. Such a dilemma. :D

Last edited:
I think I might do 4 days in Prague and 4 days in Budapest. I might have to lengthen my trip. I was planning 8 weeks but it could be 9 weeks. But I like to do two weeks in Italy. 1 week in Switzerland. 1 week in Netherlands, I need to see Van Gogh and Rembrand museums, now that I'm taking my art class, I have much better appreciation for these masters paintings and techniques. And then 4 weeks in UK. Too many things to see and do. Such a dilemma.

Good plan! When I was in Prague in 2014, there was a gallery on the main square that had a (permanent?) exhibition of art by Alphonse Mucha, with a (temporary?) exhibition of works by Salvador Dali. Definitely worth an hour of my time.

I didn't visit anywhere outside of Prague but there may be interesting day trip options?

Of course Cesky Krumlov is a UNESCO Heritage attraction but it's 180 km from Prague, a 3-5 hour bus ride.

I didn't visit anywhere outside of Prague but there may be interesting day trip options?

Of course Cesky Krumlov is a UNESCO Heritage attraction but it's 180 km from Prague, a 3-5 hour bus ride.

+1 Cesky K. We hired an excellent private guide (Oldfiska Balouskova--email oldriskab@gmail.com) who is a life long resident and professionally trained. She works for most of the major tour groups but was readily available in Oct. CK is really exceptional--the only castle never to be bombed or attacked so it is pretty much in its original state as when constructed in 1600's (?). Not a huge castle so you can enjoy without being exhausted with "one more" stone room. Hired a driver from the Prague Shuttle (turned out to be owner) for the day trip. Entire day was less than $300 US.

Near Prague you simply must visit Kutna Hora.

The ossuary and the church are both well worth your time.
+1

We stayed in a downtown Prague hotel, and walked to the bus station to take a bus to Kutna Hora. Walked through town, and the Bone Church was the last stop, before taking the train back at the end of this day trip.

It was raining when we got out of the church when they close it. So, we walked around in the dark and rain, looking for the train station. We only had a paper map, and no GPS (there were no smartphones then).

We went to Prague in late November (or was it early December) to take advantage of an airline ticket sale. The days were so short that it got dark soon after 4PM, if my memory serves, and we could not do a whole lot. So, no more winter trips for me, even if tickets are cheap. Spring and fall will be much better times to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom