Anyone got any travel planned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about attending a conference next Spring in Sydney Australia. (Actually it would be Fall in Australia) But there are a number of things that would have to happen. I may be too busy to go!

No concrete plans yet since I just got back from a South America vacation. DW is in Oregon for 2 weeks (without me <sniff>).

I have a couple of friends who are leaving in Sept to go to Egypt for 2 weeks and then Tanzania for 3 weeks where they are climbing Kilimanjaro! They invited me for the Kili part, but there is no way I can go since I just had a vacation. I'm so jealously of them! They are going to call me from the summit in mid September.

No concrete plans yet since I just got back from a South America vacation. DW is in Oregon for 2 weeks (without me <sniff>).

How was SA? You were going to Argentina among other places I recall?

Boulder and Denver in September for 3 weeks. Its an exploratory trip to see if we like the area. We plan to spend a couple of nights in Estes Park and hike in the RMNP. With DW working, we haven't traveled at all this year.

I'll be going to Cape Cod for a couple of days next week to meet some friends.

Love RMNP. Did a week long backpack there several years ago. Beautiful country.

Have a good trip! I'm jealous.

How was SA? You were going to Argentina among other places I recall?

Yeah we were in Uruguay, Argentina and Chile, but most of the trip was in Argentina. It was awesome. Beef should not be allowed to taste that good! Flew into Montevideo, stayed in Buenos Aires for 6 days, flew up to Iguazu falls, then to Mendoza for some wine tasting, and finally took the bus over the Andes to Valparaiso before finishing up in Santiago.

Buenos Aires is a wonderful city. Did you notice that their Spanish is much different than Mexican Spanish when you were there? I'm not a good Spanish speaker but the accent is quite different. Wine tasting in Mendoza was fabulous. Much different than wine tasting in California. Not better or worse, just different. The Andes were just incredible! We were very fortunate to get a great view of Aconcagua!

We're going to spend the second half of December through New Year's at our condo in Cozumel. Lots of scuba diving. There's nothing like spending Christmas Day 100' underwater drifting along the reef! Now to just maintain my sanity until then.

Yeah we were in Uruguay, Argentina and Chile, but most of the trip was in Argentina. It was awesome. Beef should not be allowed to taste that good! Flew into Montevideo, stayed in Buenos Aires for 6 days, flew up to Iguazu falls, then to Mendoza for some wine tasting, and finally took the bus over the Andes to Valparaiso before finishing up in Santiago.

Buenos Aires is a wonderful city. Did you notice that their Spanish is much different than Mexican Spanish when you were there? I'm not a good Spanish speaker but the accent is quite different. Wine tasting in Mendoza was fabulous. Much different than wine tasting in California. Not better or worse, just different. The Andes were just incredible! We were very fortunate to get a great view of Aconcagua!

I agree about the beef. Mmmmm... Even the steak sandwich carts at the public park were delicious and top notch.

Their spanish was nearly incomprehensible to me. It took me a while to figure out what they were saying, and I would often have to "translate" in my head to mexican spanish before I could understand what they were saying. They use different words for things than Mexican Spanish as well.

Good to hear the trip went well. Iguazu falls is on our "to do" list next time we are down that way.

In August we are going to try two weeks in an RV in Alaska in the coastal areas.
We have had RVs before but not in Alaska

In October we have ten days in Rome before I do a conference in Paris. DW goes home and I go to Bonn Munich Salzburg and Kempten all on professional work.

We should be in Maine tomorrow. The 63rd Annual Maine Lobster Festival started yesterday. Not sure if we will even go....but we like having travel goals.

A couple years ago, we stayed around the Black Hills waiting for the Buffalo Roundup. When the day got there, we decided not to fight the traffic.

We're winding our way through Arkansas tomorrow, taking the backroads through the Ozarks, and on to Missouri soon. And then maybe Kansas or Oklahoma, or who knows where? Spontaneous, relaxed trips are such fun.

No goals for us but we like it that way. :D

I have been surfing the Web, looking at RV parks and campgrounds, and scrolling through Google Earth. So many places to go... I need to finish a few things before we can hit the road, perhaps in late August or early September. Man, the summer is almost over...

I start to wonder if it is a good thing to tow the toad for this trip; it may simply become a liability if we do not visit major cities and just want to stay in the "wilderness".

By the way, I want to stop in the LA area and Orange County to visit some relatives and friends. Looking at the map, it looks like there are few RV parks there, other than a few in Anaheim. Even dumping the tanks is a hassle. There are no places other than a few RV storage places, and they want $20 just for dumping. Traveling to those places might be a hassle with the gridlock traffic. I might just forget about this stop.

We [-]are[/-]
Oh, and in November we're heading to Florida to see the launch of Discovery - only two shuttle launches left before the program is history.

This should be a bank holiday so we can all go. Best of wishes on this trip.

As for me and DF, once she is DW we leave for our Mediterranean cruise the next day. Two days in Barcelona, get on the boat the second day; finish in Venice for two days. The wedding is just an excuse for a honeymoon :whistle:

We should be in Maine tomorrow. The 63rd Annual Maine Lobster Festival started yesterday. Not sure if we will even go....but we like having travel goals.

A couple years ago, we stayed around the Black Hills waiting for the Buffalo Roundup. When the day got there, we decided not to fight the traffic.

I share that philosophy to a "T"... including, also, skipping the Custer State Park Buffalo Roundup.

Wahoo,
Shuttle launches are awesome! We use to watch them from our front yard when we were stationed at Patrick. I watched Challenger from the number one for takeoff position at Patrick. Amazing enough it only delayed out takeoff about 5 min.

Shuttle launches are awesome!
Demand to see the launch from the Kennedy Space Center Complex is so great they are holding a lottery to win the opportunity to purchase tickets. We're all set to watch from our RV park, but I'm throwing my name in the hat on the slight chance we'll get to buy a seat on the front row.

We are currently on our trip from Germany to see relatives in San Francisco + Denver. Then flew to Niagra Falls and crossed through NY + Vermont to Maine. Arrived at Bar Harbor today and will fly back to Germany on Sunday.

In Oct. one week in northern Italy is planned, too.

My nephew and his wife visited us in Oregon from Michigan for 6 days. I took them to the Columbia River Gorge after picking them up at the airport. The next day I took them to Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park and Hug Point. Saturday we went into Portland and hit Saturday Market, the Bite of Portland and the dinner cruise on the Columbia River. Sunday we drove up to Forks, WA (the wife is a Twilight fan). Monday we went to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Pennisula - OMG, that is gorgeous. Tuesday we went to a drive through animal park then drove them to the PDX airport.

I love the Pacific Northwest. I can't wait to retire and explore, I am never disappointed.

It was really nice to have them here and to watch their reaction as I showed them the sights.

Wahoo,
The beach at the end of Partick's runway is another good spot to watch. The shuttle lifts off from Canaveral and heads south over open water to the east of Patrick. You are a little far away to see the shuttle clearly but you get a nice long view. Not many know it, but a lot of the early flight briefs took place on Patrick. Our squadron building had a huge briefing room with rear projectors and overheads. This for a FAC squadron. I learned it was the primary briefing room for the early missions. It's also cool to be on the beach when big airplanes land. The primary runway in the summer is over the beach. I don't know what flies out of there now.

.......... The next day I took them to Cannon Beach, Ecola State Park and Hug Point. .........

Hey, DW and I got married at Hug Point. That is such a cool place to explore when the tide is out. Just got back from two weeks in that area - Manzanita.

Leaving tomorrow on our big trip to the Finger Lakes. Cannot wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom