Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone spent a lot of time in the Southern Caribbean?
Old 04-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone spent a lot of time in the Southern Caribbean?

We really want to get out of So CA next winter and spend several (4-6) months in places where we can comfortably swim, snorkel, SCUBA, and enjoy the beach. For us, that means a minimum water temperature of mid to high 70’s.

Recent posts about traveling for months with no set itinerary are also interesting to us. We are thinking of heading down to Curacao, Bonaire, and Grenada, both to enjoy them for the winter and to consider whether we’d ever want to spend more time there.

Has anyone else done this? If we leave CA in November and get lodging on the fly, will it be easy to find places? It’s their high season but we would prefer apartments so not sure if places that would appeal to us are competing in the tourist market too.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #2

We were on a cruise last Feb that included Bonaire and went snorkeling there off of a wood sailing boat. The water was pretty good. My BIL used to go to Belize for scuba.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We spent 3 years of winters sailing from PR down to Grenada in the Eastern Caribbean, but did not go as far as the ABC's. they are a little too close to Venezuela for our comfort zone at the moment. There is a main drug route from Venezuela via Trinidad and Tobago too. The Eastern Caribbean is patrolled and we never felt unsafe. But we were on a 45' Sailboat. Tobago Cays was the furthest we ventured. We stopped off at most of the islands in the chain.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
We were on a cruise last Feb that included Bonaire and went snorkeling there off of a wood sailing boat. The water was pretty good. My BIL used to go to Belize for scuba.

We’ve been diving in Bonaire and Belize. Enjoyed the diving in both places, but the mosquitoes in Belize were horrible. We will never go back to Belize, Honduras or anywhere in Central America. Despite wearing insect repellent, the bugs there are just too much for us. We actually chartered a flight to leave Honduras early due to being miserable with the bugs.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We spent 3 years of winters sailing from PR down to Grenada in the Eastern Caribbean, but did not go as far as the ABC's. they are a little too close to Venezuela for our comfort zone at the moment. There is a main drug route from Venezuela via Trinidad and Tobago too. The Eastern Caribbean is patrolled and we never felt unsafe. But we were on a 45' Sailboat. Tobago Cays was the furthest we ventured. We stopped off at most of the islands in the chain.

We spent our honeymoon and 5-year anniversary on PSV. As part of our honeymoon, we sailed around the Grenadines. Loved Tobago Cays! We have also been to Grenada as a cruise ship stop. Rented a car and explored the island. Thought it was very nice.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
We’ve been diving in Bonaire and Belize. Enjoyed the diving in both places, but the mosquitoes in Belize were horrible. We will never go back to Belize, Honduras or anywhere in Central America. Despite wearing insect repellent, the bugs there are just too much for us. We actually chartered a flight to leave Honduras early due to being miserable with the bugs.

Strange! --- I've been to Bonaire, Belize, Honduras and Costa Rica and never had a bug problem.... But I was there during the winter (Jan Feb) ---

The island off Honduras - Guanaja has the best snorkeling I have ever seen.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We spent a week in Bonaire in mid-February 5 years ago. Water and air temperatures were warm. It is quite breezy there which helped keep the bugs away. We rented a condo on the ocean several months in advance. Availability was decent and pricing was moderate. We loved the many snorkeling options from shore. Most people speak English. Buying groceries was an adventure as all labels were in Dutch. Thank goodness for pictures. We found the locals to be the least friendly of the many Caribbean islands we have visited.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Bonaire is our favorite Caribbean dive place hands down. We spent 2 months there last year (Jan-Feb) in a small condo with water view. It is high season, but you should find availability if you book early.

The biggest draw for us is the fantastic shore diving, just the two of us where and when we want. The water will be high 70s low 80s, and Dive Friends has 5 locations on the island to pick up & drop off tanks as you drive around. No need for boats, schedules or dealing with other divers. It truly is a diver's paradise.
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
Strange! --- I've been to Bonaire, Belize, Honduras and Costa Rica and never had a bug problem.... But I was there during the winter (Jan Feb) ---

The island off Honduras - Guanaja has the best snorkeling I have ever seen.

Interesting. We spent 2 weeks in Belize in Nov., and cut short our June Honduras trip due to bugs. Went to Costa Rica in Nov. and had zero issues with bugs.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Bonaire is our favorite Caribbean dive place hands down. We spent 2 months there last year (Jan-Feb) in a small condo with water view. It is high season, but you should find availability if you book early.

The biggest draw for us is the fantastic shore diving, just the two of us where and when we want. The water will be high 70s low 80s, and Dive Friends has 5 locations on the island to pick up & drop off tanks as you drive around. No need for boats, schedules or dealing with other divers. It truly is a diver's paradise.

Thanks Diver. So it sounds like doing a trip where we try to book accommodations on the fly during high season may not be feasible? Did you do any diving in Curaçao and if so, how was that?
Old 04-09-2019, 11:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are diving havens famous for their clear waters. We have been to Aruba and Curacao but did no diving. Their society looked to be pretty much banana republics.
The Caymans are probably the best diving anywhere due to the incredible cliffs that are just a few yards from the beach. The Caymans is a very civilized place.
I have dived off the coast of Cozumel a few times, and needless to say it's another great dive location. Cozumel's a small, quiet island, but its an easy place to get to from the U.S.
We have been to virtually every island in the Caribbean and a few in the Bahamas. They all have their plus' and minus'. Many islands are lacking in society and just not that nice--unless they're very expensive. My favorite island is St. Lucia of all.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:52 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Scuba, we did do a bit of shore diving in Curacao and it was decent. The island is more developed than Bonaire, but still has some pretty beaches with a livelier downtown. The shore diving in Bonaire was superior, but we did no boat diving in Curacao, which might be good. Note that if beaches are important you, Curacao has them, and Bonaire not so much. Bonaire has a mainly hard coral coastline. Flights are quick, easy and cheap between the two isands, so you could go and check them both out in one winter trip.

Lots of Europeans there in winter, esp Dutch. KLM has a daily jumbo jet to Bonaire direct from Amsterdam, and Bonaire is considered a Dutch municipality, so Dutch can live and work there no problem. Similar in Curacao, but they also have an oil industry there and a big port.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Scuba, we did do a bit of shore diving in Curacao and it was decent. The island is more developed than Bonaire, but still has some pretty beaches with a livelier downtown. The shore diving in Bonaire was superior, but we did no boat diving in Curacao, which might be good. Note that if beaches are important you, Curacao has them, and Bonaire not so much. Bonaire has a mainly hard coral coastline. Flights are quick, easy and cheap between the two isands, so you could go and check them both out in one winter trip.

Lots of Europeans there in winter, esp Dutch. KLM has a daily jumbo jet to Bonaire direct from Amsterdam, and Bonaire is considered a Dutch municipality, so Dutch can live and work there no problem. Similar in Curacao, but they also have an oil industry there and a big port.

Thanks. We decided to spend 4 weeks in Bonaire, 6 in Curacao, and 2.5 in Aruba. We’ve been to Bonaire before so starting off there for some great diving. Splitting our time in Curacao between the city and Southern beaches (2 weeks) and the Northwestern beaches (4 weeks). Then just relaxing on Aruba, away from the main tourist district. May not dive in Aruba at all, just enjoy the beautiful beaches.

Really glad we will be away from So CA during the coldest months!
Old 05-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

Now you are just bragging
Old 05-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks. We decided to spend 4 weeks in Bonaire, 6 in Curacao, and 2.5 in Aruba. We’ve been to Bonaire before so starting off there for some great diving. Splitting our time in Curacao between the city and Southern beaches (2 weeks) and the Northwestern beaches (4 weeks). Then just relaxing on Aruba, away from the main tourist district. May not dive in Aruba at all, just enjoy the beautiful beaches.

Scuba,
Now that sounds like a perfect winter!
Old 05-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Scuba,
Correction: Dive in the morning, golf in the afternoons. Perfect winter!
erkevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:05 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow sounds great. We have been to Aruba twice for 2 weeks each. Really enjoyed our time. We were just there last August locals were complaining about Venezuela immigrants but we saw no signs of trouble.

Care to share the costs of lodging for your 12.5 week trip?

Enjoy your trip, sounds lovely
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:08 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

How to you handle security of your stuff when shore diving in Bonaire?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Now you are just bragging

Ha ha, I guess it seems so to some. This past winter, while mild compared to many areas, seemed way too cold and way too long for us. Tomorrow is June 1 and we are still wearing jackets everywhere! We are wimps, I admit.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Scuba,

[emoji41]