Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So glad to see you are back on the trail - really enjoyed watching all of your videos - am cheering for you to finish!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

I am at a coffee shop drinking a coke and eating a protein bar outside when an elderly couple comes up to me and asks about the trail and hiking. We talked for a few minutes and during that time, a waitress asked if I would be eating, and I said, "no, thank you." The reason I wasn't eating from the coffee shop is I am carrying too much food in my backpack and I need to eat from there. As I wrapped up the conversation with the elderly couple, they handed me a $20 and told me to get a meal somewhere. I guess I look like a homeless person. It was trail magic so I had to accept it graciously. To not accept trail magic is rude! [emoji3]
Old 07-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #83
Confused about dryer sheets

Are you posting any of your thru-hike stats anywhere? Like Whiteblaze or Trailjournals? What, besides your YouTube channel, are you using to keep folks updated on your hike? I’m thinking about a thru-hike on the AT next year and have been following your videos. Nicely done..! I have some questions.
PhoneCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneCzar View Post
Are you posting any of your thru-hike stats anywhere? Like Whiteblaze or Trailjournals? What, besides your YouTube channel, are you using to keep folks updated on your hike? I’m thinking about a thru-hike on the AT next year and have been following your videos. Nicely done..! I have some questions.
I've been following his videos too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUT...0stBW_v5loOD7Q

Very Entertaining!

You can also click on his name in his posts and private message him, but he won't he probably won't get the message until he logs in here the next time.

I'd like to hike the full AT too. Good luck on your AT adventure!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #85
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes, I have been following his YouTube posts also, which are very enjoyable. However, what I'm interested in are stats like average $ spent per week/month, what his diet is like, how often does he resupply, resupply costs, etc.

Additionally, I would like to know what his gear makeup looks like.
The idea of a Thru-Hike can be pretty expensive or not depending on the factors above. The YouTube episodes, though enjoyable and entertaining, don't help me with these questions.
PhoneCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #86
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneCzar View Post
Yes, I have been following his YouTube posts also, which are very enjoyable. However, what I'm interested in are stats like average $ spent per week/month, what his diet is like, how often does he resupply, resupply costs, etc.

Additionally, I would like to know what his gear makeup looks like.
The idea of a Thru-Hike can be pretty expensive or not depending on the factors above. The YouTube episodes, though enjoyable and entertaining, don't help me with these questions.
If you explore a little on YouTube, there are many, many hiker videos discussing their gear choices and various logistical issues involved in hiking the AT. I take ikubak's in the spirit in which I think it is intended - one 57 year old man's contemporaneous commentary on his experience hiking the trail, which is likely different from the normal 23 year old thru-hiker, but also the same in many ways. I appreciate the effort he puts into his videos.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If you explore a little on YouTube, there are many, many hiker videos discussing their gear choices and various logistical issues involved in hiking the AT. I take ikubak's in the spirit in which I think it is intended - one 57 year old man's contemporaneous commentary on his experience hiking the trail, which is likely different from the normal 23 year old thru-hiker, but also the same in many ways. I appreciate the effort he puts into his videos.

There are Facebook groups for each class year of thru hikers that post about this type information constantly. And you can post your specific questions. Plus books and all kinds blogs. A little research will produce all kinds of answers specific to your needs.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

PJ, You are my daily catch up, every day i smile, wishing i might one day do this when done w@rK....
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Just watched the latest video of Papa John at the summit of Mt. Katahdin!

Just want to send my congratulations to you, what an achievement! We're in the same age range, and I can't imagine accomplishing what you have.

Thank you for sharing the journey, I've watched all the videos and have been rooting for you, albeit silently and from afar.

Way to go!
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:04 PM   #90
Administrator

I also watched every day's progress on YouTube. Such an amazing accomplishment. A real inspiration to me, at least.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #91

Yes, congrats. Well done!

For those interested in long distance hiking. The Appalachian Trail (AT) is certainly well known. Lesser known in many circles are the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) and the Continental Divide Trail (CDT). Together, the 3 make up the triple crown of thru hiking. If all you’ve ever heard of is the AT, and you’re interested in long distance hiking, you should check out the PCT and CDT to evaluate your choices.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Yes, congrats. Well done!

For those interested in long distance hiking. The Appalachian Trail (AT) is certainly well known. Lesser known in many circles are the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) and the Continental Divide Trail (CDT). Together, the 3 make up the triple crown of thru hiking. If all you’ve ever heard of is the AT, and you’re interested in long distance hiking, you should check out the PCT and CDT to evaluate your choices.
I first became aware of these two trails when reading about Flyin' Brian Robinson. He was the first to complete all 3 of the trails in one year! It was early 2000s, and I recall reading about his quest in March/April, and followed the diary he kept online for the rest of the year. IIRC, he started the AT on 1/1 and moved so quickly that he was unable to thru hike since he caught up with snow in the north (his original goal was to try to thru hike each one!). Ended up doing pieces as weather allowed.

My $.02, Papa John enjoyed his journey while Brian was moving as fast as possible to set a time/record. PJ gets my vote (as a couch potato tracking the journey.
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:20 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I ran into a lady locally the other day, and her husband's about to finish the A/T. He's been hiking it from GA to Maine in segments over the last 4 years. Life got in the way of doing it all at once. Surprised so many have the time to do it all at once.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:22 AM   #94

Congratulations! Such an achievement. I remember watching when you had to stop due to some issues and was sad...so glad you have accomplished this. ��
Old 08-25-2019, 04:54 AM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations, loved your style.... looked over to the right on YouTube and saw quicksand on the trail... liked his video style too, BUT kind of a downer, did you ever run into him?
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on a wonderful achievement! I enjoyed watching your videos each day. The nature scenes and were beautiful and I enjoyed the music too!
YakGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #97
Dryer sheet aficionado

We enjoyed all of your videos PJ! We'll miss the nightly entertainment and thank you for introducing us to Lipbone Redding's music. I'm currently acquiring equipment and planning an AT section hike in the spring.
Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post
Just watched the latest video of Papa John at the summit of Mt. Katahdin!

Just want to send my congratulations to you, what an achievement! We're in the same age range, and I can't imagine accomplishing what you have.

Thank you for sharing the journey, I've watched all the videos and have been rooting for you, albeit silently and from afar.

Way to go!
Congrats! My buddy Colin is 100 miles behind. What an achievement!
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #99

In case you missed it. I thought anyone following this thread would also be interested in the story about AT mystery hiker "Mostly Harmless". Parts 1 and 2 in this long format journal -

Quote:
In Adventure Journal 17, summer 2020, we published a story called “The Ghost in the Tent,” by journalist Jason Nark, who had been trying to decipher the mystery of a man known only by his trail name, Mostly Harmless, whose emaciated body was found in a tent by day hikers in Florida. Harmless had hiked from New York to Florida and there was food and money in his tent, but no identification, and neither Collier County detectives nor amateur web sleuths could figure out his real name, find his family, or uncover friends.

https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...g-last-solved/
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:14 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
In case you missed it. I thought anyone following this thread would also be interested in the story about AT mystery hiker "Mostly Harmless". Parts 1 and 2 in this long format journal -

https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...g-last-solved/
Another good read is the first book by Peter Jenkins "A Walk Across America". I used to have a copy that he signed when I met him years ago. Unfortunately I loaned it out and never got it back.

Cheers1
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote