Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are we not going to have self-driving motorhomes any time now?

Even if it does not happen soon enough, one ceramic seat at the driver position is not difficult to implement like what a poster suggested earlier for airplanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Every airplane seat should be a toilet. Problem solved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Unless you're the poor soul sitting next to someone who has to use it....

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
One more reason I need to do more air travel before it's too late. When my bladder gets weak, I will be able to do RV'ing only. It is great when you have your toilet with you all the time.
Except that while you're driving a big rig sometimes it can be hard to find a place to pull over! Believe me, I know
Old 04-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Well, that's another reason I like my class C.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, that's another reason I like my class C.
I have driven long stretches of rural highway where the shoulder wasn't wide enough for even a class C to pull over. Interstate rest stops were doing a quick disappearing act too. It can get tough out there!
Old 04-29-2017, 01:22 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Been in similar situation. tight connection through ATL. Caught my flight at the last minute. No time to use restroom before push back. We then sat for 45 min. Once we began to taxi, we were like number seventy five for take off. By the time we got to 10K and could use facilities, almost two hours had passed. And then, I had to queue up with other bladder busting geese and wait my turn.

At what point is it acceptable to just pee in your seat?
If more people peed in their seats, bet the rules would change.....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:33 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
I wonder if it is illegal yet to pee in a cup at your seat under a blanket? I remember the suction device they had in the air force for the pilots.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1
That's a great way for people to protest against this. Y'all start now.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I wonder if it is illegal yet to pee in a cup at your seat under a blanket? I remember the suction device they had in the air force for the pilots.
Men can use what is called a condom catheter which drains into a leg bag. David Sedaris did a humorous monologue about his experiences using one.

Quote:
David Sedaris

I've always liked the idea of accessories. It was my search for something discreet, masculine, and practical that led me to the Stadium Pal, an external catheter currently being marketed to sports fans, truck drivers, and anyone else who's tired of searching for a bathroom.
At first inspection, the device met all my criteria. Was it masculine? Yes, and proudly so. Unlike a regular catheter, which is inserted directly into the penis, the Stadium Pal connects by way of a self-adhesive condom, which is then attached to a flexible rubber tube.
Urine flows through the tube and collects in the Freedom leg bag conveniently attached to the user's calf. The bag can be emptied and reused up to 12 times, making it both disgusting and cost-effective. And what could be manlier?
Was it discreet? According to the brochure, unless you wore it with shorts no one needed to know a thing about it.
Was it practical? At the time, yes. I don't drive or attend football games, but I did have a book tour coming up, and the possibilities were endless. Five glasses of iced tea followed by a long public reading? Thanks, Stadium Pal. The window seat on an overbooked cross-country flight? Don't mind if I do.
I ordered myself a Stadium Pal and realized that while it might make sense in a hospital, it really wasn't very practical for day to day use. In an open air sporting arena, a piping hot 32-ounce bag of urine might go unnoticed. But not so in a stuffy airplane or a small, crowded bookstore. An hour after christening it, mine smelled like a nursing home.
On top of that, I found that it was hard to pee and do other things at the same time. Reading out loud, discussing my dinner options with a flight attendant, checking into a fine hotel, each activity required its own separate form of concentration. And while no one knew exactly what I was up to, it was pretty clear that something was going on.
I think it was my face that gave me away. That and my oddly swollen calf.
What ultimately did me in was the self-adhesive condom. Putting it on was no problem. But its removal qualified as what, in certain cultures, is known as a bris.
Wear it once and you'll need a solid month in order to fully recover. It will likely be a month in which you'll weigh the relative freedom of peeing in your pants against the unsightly discomfort of a scab-covered penis.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Actually there are such devices for folks flying in small private planes that don't have restrooms provided.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
It's not just pee folks, What if you are sitting on the plane and you need to "dump" suddenly, perhaps that burger a few hours ago was bad ?

Here a plane landed as a companion animal did the doo-doo job, and the smell was awful enough to emergency land the plane..

Cross-Country Flight Makes Emergency Landing Because of Dog ****
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have driven long stretches of rural highway where the shoulder wasn't wide enough for even a class C to pull over. Interstate rest stops were doing a quick disappearing act too. It can get tough out there!
Agree. But usually, I can find a stopping spot within 30 minutes of driving. Car travelers would find that that is nothing to complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Men can use what is called a condom catheter which drains into a leg bag. David Sedaris did a humorous monologue about his experiences using one.
I have read a couple of his books, but not that one.

Sedaris wrote:
On top of that, I found that it was hard to pee and do other things at the same time. Reading out loud, discussing my dinner options with a flight attendant, checking into a fine hotel, each activity required its own separate form of concentration. And while no one knew exactly what I was up to, it was pretty clear that something was going on. I think it was my face that gave me away.

I can relate this to my grand niece. She is 14 months now, and not off diaper yet. When she has some "business" going on, we can tell by her facial expression.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Actually there are such devices for folks flying in small private planes that don't have restrooms provided.
Here's several examples and they make an adapter for females.

Search results for: 'urinal' - from Sporty's Pilot Shop
Old 04-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #73

My doctor helps me with flying, I call the office and get a script for Atavan or Zanax. Take one before leaving to the airport, one when at the airport and one more when boarded. Hell I could be sitting next the shoe bomber and not care.

Better living through pharmacology. I highly recommend it.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:33 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
My doctor helps me with flying, I call the office and get a script for Atavan or Zanax. Take one before leaving to the airport, one when at the airport and one more when boarded. Hell I could be sitting next the shoe bomber and not care.

Better living through pharmacology. I highly recommend it.
Be sure not to make those comments when actually on the airplane and you won't be on it for long.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
yup
Old 04-30-2017, 12:15 AM   #75

yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Just another reason for me not to fly anymore. Been there, done that and had more than enough.

Going thru an airport and flying coach reminds me of loaded cattle pens and cattle trucks. Smells included.
i had a woman change her babies dirty diaper next to me, then another neighbor passenger opened up a tuna fish sandwich, disgusting, flying is low class, no more wearing ur Sundays best.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

At my age, I recall when flying was intentionally a good experience. It was just at the time that typical air travel had switched from DC7s and Constellations to jets. Airlines wanted your business and travelers were mostly civilized and exhibited at least minimal social graces. Most men wore suit and tie. Ladies wore skirts or dresses. Even coach had room to stretch. Carryons were purses and camera bags since checked luggage was free. 707's and 727's were virtually as fast as 777's are today. True, air travel was relatively expensive back in the day.

Now everyone flies. Flights are "cheap." But it now actually takes LONGER to get anyplace because of security and crowded airports. The experience of air travel is dramatically worse than it used to be. I think that's what most of us are reacting to. Imagine folks who were able to switch from 2 day train rides to less than a day's plane travel from the midwest to either coast. Who would have cared about a crying baby or a rude flight attendant (which actually didn't exist at the time.) Now, we notice the degradation of the experience while the trip is actually "longer." We've regressed and the main (almost only) advantage now is that it's "cheap." Even paying more (as in upgrading to 1st class/business) offers only a bit more seating/eating comfort. Other than that, the experience is still much worse, for the most part, than 50 years ago. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
At my age, I recall when flying was intentionally a good experience. It was just at the time that typical air travel had switched from DC7s and Constellations to jets. Airlines wanted your business and travelers were mostly civilized and exhibited at least minimal social graces. Most men wore suit and tie. Ladies wore skirts or dresses. Even coach had room to stretch. Carryons were purses and camera bags since checked luggage was free. 707's and 727's were virtually as fast as 777's are today. True, air travel was relatively expensive back in the day.

Now everyone flies. Flights are "cheap." But it now actually takes LONGER to get anyplace because of security and crowded airports. The experience of air travel is dramatically worse than it used to be. I think that's what most of us are reacting to. Imagine folks who were able to switch from 2 day train rides to less than a day's plane travel from the midwest to either coast. Who would have cared about a crying baby or a rude flight attendant (which actually didn't exist at the time.) Now, we notice the degradation of the experience while the trip is actually "longer." We've regressed and the main (almost only) advantage now is that it's "cheap." Even paying more (as in upgrading to 1st class/business) offers only a bit more seating/eating comfort. Other than that, the experience is still much worse, for the most part, than 50 years ago. YMMV

Well, back then it was highly regulated... so there were not any low cost airlines... you paid a high price because you HAD to pay a high price... since the price was fixed, service was the differentiating factor... not anymore...

Also, security came about because the passengers demanded it after a number of hijackings.... it became much worse after 9/11... I would bet that the airlines would love to get you on board much faster and get you to where you want to go... it means more money for them... but they do not get a choice in letting people go around security....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad I don't have to wear a skirt or dress to fly.

And longer to get anyplace? DH finally put his foot down about driving to my Dad's because it takes 2.5 days to drive there. 4.5 hours flying plus 2 ahead which includes plenty of time for security, plus 30 mins to pick up luggage. 7 hours travel is way better than 2.5 days driving.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Me, too. I may have been able to pull it off in my younger days but I no longer have the legs for it.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #80

Quote:

And longer to get anyplace? DH finally put his foot down about driving to my Dad's because it takes 2.5 days to drive there. 4.5 hours flying plus 2 ahead which includes plenty of time for security, plus 30 mins to pick up luggage. 7 hours travel is way better than 2.5 days driving.
I would much prefer the extra 1.5 days to drive. But that's just me.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote